Land near a Kerbin pole

Challenge:

Launch from KSC, head north or south. Aim for the poles.

Land (and survive) as close to one of the poles as possible.

screenshot58.png

Measurement shall be carried out by your orbital velocity ON GROUND at your landing site (i.e. the closer to zero the better), as shown by the map view. My attempt at the North Pole resulted in 2.4m/s.

screenshot61.png

Those who know the math for converting this speed into Kerbin\'s latitude would be welcome!

A few questions to clarify:

1. Do we have to achieve an orbit first, or do you want a simple 'hop to the pole'?

2. Do we have to shed everything but the lander before getting there (i.e. shed everything but capsule and parachute, for a 'standard' reentry landing)? If not, it should be trivial to float and slide about until we get to the right spot...

Thank you, good sir Hostage! Exactly what I was looking for!

Clarification:

- No orbit required first. Not that it would be any more difficult to do so, just more time passing.

- I was only basing the challenge on any parts when landed; however bonus kudos for vanilla only and extra for capsule from reentry only. A VTOL spaceplane might be more trivial to use than most craft, however I\'d still like to see someone try with one...

Consider this challenge to be \'insipration\' to explore the lesser known issues of camera angles... ;) you\'ll see what I mean when you arrive!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.