[0.23.5] Ares I, Ares V, and EFT-1

ethan829

Ares I launch vehicle carrying the Orion spacecraft:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ares V heavy lift rocket. Updated 0.23.5 version coming soon.

Delta IV Heavy and Orion in EFT-1 configuration. Remember to take the crew out before launching, as this is an unmanned test flight.

Downloads:

Ares I: http://www./download/aejhuhjsbqe9ld5/Ares+I.craft

Ares V : coming soon

Delta IV Heavy (EFT-1 Configuration): http://www./download/4br1h1o38dkmro6/Exploration+Flight+Test+1.craft

Action groups for flying:

1: Toggle Orion MPCV solar arrays

2: Jettison LES

3: Deploy parachutes

Abort: Decouple capsule, activate LES engines

Edited by ethan829

Nice replica! Although I suggest instead of using that huge decoupled on the Orion try using a Docking port Sr., the same size but looks much more compact. You just right click it to detach from it!

Good idea. I was using a separator and first but when it decoupled, all the fuel tanks flew off in every direction and collided with each-other. Although I suppose that would also be solved by the battery placement now. Whoops.

I think the large decoupler might actually be pretty accurate though:

Orion_MPCV_with_Service_Module.jpg

Updated with a new Ares I. Now even more accurate!

Just compared it to the real thing, and I think you should extend the core stage by another one of those stripy tanks. Currently the injection stage is the same length as the core stage. IRL, the core stage is just a little bit longer than the injection stage. Other than that, it's perfect :)

Just compared it to the real thing, and I think you should extend the core stage by another one of those stripy tanks. Currently the injection stage is the same length as the core stage. IRL, the core stage is just a little bit longer than the injection stage. Other than that, it's perfect :)

Funny you should mention that, I just made that change. I'll update the album/download link momentarily.

I'm also currently working on SLS Block I. The LES is getting a real workout...

k9XNKXY.png

9rskGRe.png

2eUvYKa.png

Edited by ethan829

2eUvYKa.png

Fwoah, that looks like a real pain to make. Also, why not do the Ares V as well instead of the SLS, seeing as you've already made the Ares I?

Finally, last point: The core stage on the Ares I is still a little bit too short. I recommend another stripy tank just for good measure :)

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: I just noticed the last picture in the album. All is well!

EDIT 2: Also, you should post some pictures of it to /r/kerbalspaceprogram

EDIT 3: In case you don't know, that's a link to the Reddit KSP page :)

Edited by Bartybum

Woooo! Looks great so far :) I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

EDIT: I'm taking a stab and saying that you plan to use the Ares I core stage for the Boosters on the Ares V, right?

Edited by Bartybum

Woooo! Looks great so far :) I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

EDIT: I'm taking a stab and saying that you plan to use the Ares I core stage for the Boosters on the Ares V, right?

Thanks! I appreciate the kinds words.

I was planing on using something very similar, if not the exact same thing, yeah.

Thanks! I appreciate the kinds words.

I was planing on using something very similar, if not the exact same thing, yeah.

I'm absolutely wild with ideas on this whole recent NASA rocketry. Would you be willing to take a look into Project Constellation eventually once you've got all this stuff out of the way and complete, or some SpaceX stuff?

I'm absolutely wild with ideas on this whole recent NASA rocketry. Would you be willing to take a look into Project Constellation eventually once you've got all this stuff out of the way and complete, or some SpaceX stuff?

I've done a bit of SpaceX inspired stuff before, but it still needs work.

52mEE78.png

As for the rest of the Constellation Program, I'm not sure. It could certainly be fun to try but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. My building skill is pretty limited. The Altair lander is a possibility, but I wouldn't count on any Mars/Duna missions.

I've done a bit of SpaceX inspired stuff before, but it still needs work.

Actually, I could probably help you out there. The main problem with recreation of SpaceX rockets is that the 1.25m rockets just don't have enough thrust for the job, if I remember correctly.

These are really good. How much delta v do those rockets have?

Ares I has 7750 m/s of vacuum delta V in total. 2918 m/s in the first stage, 2721 m/s in the second stage, and 2111 m/s in the Orion MPCV.

The EFT-1 Delta IV Heavy has a whopping 8364 m/s of vacuum delta V in total. 2017 m/s in the first stage, 2508 m/s after strap-on booster jettison, 1728 m/s in the Delta IV upper stage, and 2111 m/s in the Orion MPCV

Actually, I could probably help you out there. The main problem with recreation of SpaceX rockets is that the 1.25m rockets just don't have enough thrust for the job, if I remember correctly.

That's exactly the problem I've been having. It works alright for the Falcon 9 v1.0, but for v1.1 to be an accurate size and performance I've had to resort to clipping engines inside of engines, which is just a nightmare to deal with.

That sounds like a lot of fun, although I can't promise that I'll be able to devote a ton of time to it. I'm a student so I really just mess around with KSP in my free time.

Right now Ares V is really kicking my (and my laptop's) ass(es).

Also, because not a lot of Ares V plans were ever finalized, I'm unsure of which version to go with. There were plans for either 5 or 6 main engines, and either 1 or 2 J-2X engines on the upper stage. Also I've seen depiction of both a narrower upper stage and one that's the same diameter as the first stage.

6NHx3OM.png

Edited by ethan829

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.