Upgraded Space Suits

since right now when you take a eva report or surface sample you cant transmit since your suit doesnt have anything to transmit with. what about having a suit upgrade in the tech tree so you can?

we could even take it a step further and make different suits for different jobs like: suit with parachute, suit with radio to transmit your findings, suit with extra eva feul. suit with extra room for samples,

what do you guys think about this idea?

I think it's intended at some point that they'll be able to send data if they're within n metres of a working capsule with an antenna of some sort.

yes that what i mean. like if your taking reports 2km from your lander you can send them back to be stored on the ship.

What about a backpack object that can 'dock' with your kerbal, similar to how the seat do now? The backpack would just be a basic EVA jetpack by default but it would have space on it to add other parts, in the VAB. So you could have a backpack with an antenna, or science experiments, or extra fuel or a floodlight. That way, it's up to you what extra capabilities your Kerbal has while on EVA.

What about a backpack object that can 'dock' with your kerbal, similar to how the seat do now? The backpack would just be a basic EVA jetpack by default but it would have space on it to add other parts, in the VAB. So you could have a backpack with an antenna, or science experiments, or extra fuel or a floodlight. That way, it's up to you what extra capabilities your Kerbal has while on EVA.

I'm thinking of a kerbal with a small solid rocket booster attached to his back! that would be hilarious

I think suit upgrades would be interesting, maybe you could pick one when a kerbal goes on EVA?

I do wonder why they can't transmit EVA Reports.

I can understand not transmitting data since the electric charge requirement is pretty high. But if your kerbal is in a seat and the seat has an antenna the data will transmit (great for rovers).

I'm thinking of a kerbal with a small solid rocket booster attached to his back! that would be hilarious

I think suit upgrades would be interesting, maybe you could pick one when a kerbal goes on EVA?

That would be exclusive for Jeb.

The only thing that will prevent re-entry with a spacesuit is the speed with which the kerbonaut hits the atmosphere, and it should be possible to simulate re-entry heat, which is one of the planned features. I think that early re-entry scenarios had the astronauts abandon their re-entry vehicle once it had slowed down sufficiently, and parachute to the ground.

I can understand not transmitting data since the electric charge requirement is pretty high. But if your kerbal is in a seat and the seat has an antenna the data will transmit (great for rovers).

If nearby ships could act as relay, you wouldn't need much energy to radio in your report. But this is something extra to code, especially with the no-two-active-ships-at-a-time thing going on, which is likely why in this introductory state of the Science feature all VESSELs (which includes EVA kerbals) have this button for now, and only after clicking it is checked whether the necessary resources are actually available: It's not universally pretty, but it works, it is largely bug-free, ship it.

Edited by Andersenman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.