Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Hold your horses, RTDebug is harmless. Literally does nothing until you bash F11 and then all it does is write some stuff to a file. Its pretty outdated, but it does not cause crashes. Correlation does not mean causation, bla bla bla.

Wanna know what it does?

[B]if[/B] (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.F11) && HighLogic.LoadedSceneIsFlight)
{
Dump();
}

There. See? Harmless. For ease of use I just have it be a standalone component that gets created every new scene.

Edited by Cilph

Yes it works and there are some bugs,I think and there is alot of human error that people think are bugs but for me it's a must have mod.

This might be pushing the friendship, but in brief, what are the known bugs? I'm trying to assess if I should install our wait. Thanks.

This might be pushing the friendship, but in brief, what are the known bugs? I'm trying to assess if I should install our wait. Thanks.

Some I've noticed:

-Map view occasionally screws up and draws the connections in the wrong places, i.e. the lines don't follow your camera.

-Vessel duplication, the dll fix seems to have fixed this.

-Crash at tracking station, dll also seems to fix this. If not, going to launch pad first then using map view works fine.

I can't recall any other bugs, I would gladly take the occasional glitch for the amazing functionality this mod provides any day.

That's hard to say for me, I cant launch 2 sat on 1 launcher when, I decouple them can't get connection but some can get that to work and some are having trouble with switching views or the view freeze the way, I take it but for me just can't 2 probe core on 1 launch is the only problem, I have so, I send them 1 at a time no big deal for me.

The only bugs I've noticed (which I haven't formally reported because I'm still trying to get them reproducible) involve the flight computer you use to schedule actions once comm lag becomes significant. Fortunately, they tend to be more annoying than fatal unless you need either precise scheduling or a long sequence of commands.

Hold your horses, RTDebug is harmless. Literally does nothing until you bash F11 and then all it does is write some stuff to a file. Its pretty outdated, but it does not cause crashes. Correlation does not mean causation, bla bla bla.

Wanna know what it does?

{
Dump();
}

There. See? Harmless. For ease of use I just have it be a standalone component that gets created every new scene.

There is some relationship between the TS hangs and RT2. If I remove RT2 I can get in albiet half my ships are no longer loadable because your mod digs itself in like a tick into everything that touches an antenna of dish so which is nearly everything. The behavior is always the same. You select the tracking station then it hangs and memory climbs until the game crashes. I systematically took mods out in a binary fashion until I isolated RT2. So it's pretty clear to me where the bug is. It might not be RTDEBUG but it is definately RT2.

There is a sort of a bug that ship loose connection when part of the ship with it's own antenna and probe core decouples. The tracking stations begin to follow the decoupled lander that don't have an proper antenna to support connection. It is solvable by manually reajusting the antennas in the tracking satelites to the main ship, but it's pretty annoing especially since the decoupled ship usually have the same name and mothership untill you rename it (and you can't untill you establish a link) so it's a little bit annoying. Nothing fatal thought. It would be nice to have some alingment computer or at list the list of antennas that dish will try to establish a link if the connection with first choise satelite is lost.

Anyway RT2 give much more fun to unmanned missions, I trully enjoyed my Eva probe landing mission.

There is some relationship between the TS hangs and RT2. If I remove RT2 I can get in albiet half my ships are no longer loadable because your mod digs itself in like a tick into everything that touches an antenna of dish so which is nearly everything. The behavior is always the same. You select the tracking station then it hangs and memory climbs until the game crashes. I systematically took mods out in a binary fashion until I isolated RT2. So it's pretty clear to me where the bug is. It might not be RTDEBUG but it is definately RT2.

There is indeed an issue that causes a tracking station hang but I've been unable to locate it. It seems to be related to KAS as well. Full-on Unity crashes are not as simple to debug as they are not caused by the code directly, but by the interaction with the game engine.

Wanna know what it does?

{
Dump();
}

Hold the phone....

Cilph,

What is being "dumped"???

Where is it being dumped???

How exactly do you invoke the dump??? (Hold F11 during sceen load???)

Would it be helpful for those of us who experience this issue to report the contents of the dump to you???

Could you put something additional in the dump that would help diagnose the problem???

There is indeed an issue that causes a tracking station hang but I've been unable to locate it. It seems to be related to KAS as well. Full-on Unity crashes are not as simple to debug as they are not caused by the code directly, but by the interaction with the game engine.

Not so much now, but I've had this problem before. Other issues can be worked around, but this one prevents you from continuing.

My solution involved me reverting back to a week old save game and loosing all kinds of progress.

Not everybody can do that.

What can we do to help you find the issue and fix it???

Nothing. Pretty much waiting for 'divine inspiration' to solve that issue. I suspect it's related to the line rendering as that is the only thing that really interacts with the game engine.

Ok, let me ask this. Seeing RTDebug is the last thing we see, and that RTDebug doesn't really do anything...

What's the next thing that should be happening???

How quickly does that log something to the alt-F2 debug window?

Could you add items (several) that'll generate log entries in that section so we can see how far it gets before things blow up???

(I just had a "duplicate ship and here take a look at the pretty blue ball at the center of Kerbal" crash again)

I have the patch installed and what about more than one probe core???

I'm thinking I missed the briefing on that one. If there's an issue with having more than one probe core than I have a bit of a problem. My current vessel is a huge transport loaded with eight landers, eight impactors, a bus structure that they're all mounted on, and the transport itself... That's eighteen probe cores, (each with it's own antenna, some with an omni and a dish)

Do you have a link to a discussion on the issues of having more than one probe core???

Do you have a link to a discussion on the issues of having more than one probe core???

The only issue I have noticed with multiple probe core is connection loss when undock\decouple. Since the decoupled probe have the same name as main ship tracking stations follow it instead of the main ship and you have to manually reconfigure the network to trak it. Nothing exempt that.

I also found that although it is said that probe-cores have preinstalled omni antennas I had no connection on the launchpad unless some omni antenna is installed.

No preinstalled antennas in career mode, you have to unlock them. That might be it.

AFAIK there are no bugs involving multiple probe cores aside from mechanics issues involving the targeting. A cone system would give you enough time to switch the link while still connected.

AFAIK there are no bugs involving multiple probe cores aside from mechanics issues involving the targeting. A cone system would give you enough time to switch the link while still connected.

I routinely use multiple cores, and have no problems. My usual setup is cone (Kerbin orbit relay->pointing at planet) which connects Mission Control to the bus then omni (bus-> probe) to control the released probe.

I have the patch installed and what about more than one probe core???

I'm thinking I missed the briefing on that one. If there's an issue with having more than one probe core than I have a bit of a problem. My current vessel is a huge transport loaded with eight landers, eight impactors, a bus structure that they're all mounted on, and the transport itself... That's eighteen probe cores, (each with it's own antenna, some with an omni and a dish)

The heck with Remote Tech, I want to see a picture of this beast! :D

Back on topic - I too haven't had any issues with multiple pobe cores. My main satellite launcher has 12 com sats on a central launch core with another probe core and dish pointing to my main relay sat. I also have a 24 sat launcher but it's a FPS killer and rarely used. That too doesn't have any issues.

Best regards,

The Dude

Before the patch if you had more then 1 probe core on a vessel when decouple 1 wouldn't connect but the patch fixed that part.

EDIT @TheDude you and tmbomber must have some beast of launchers please post your 24 sat launcher lol.

Edited by Mecripp2

First time posting on this thread. Have to say, I absolutely love this mod! Thank you so much for making this game amazing for me!

Between this and KSP Interstellar, I've developed quite the infrastructure system (>100 Hours). So, when I saw the note at the homepage about possibly breaking backward compatibility in 0.24 I wanted to voice my dread. However, I also understand sometimes change can be necessary to make an even better product.

Being a developer myself, (though I've not yet tackled modding KSP) I was wondering about the feasibility or level of effort needed to write a "script" or "parser" that could convert 0.23 saves into versions compatible with whatever possible changes that will be implemented?

Again, thanks for the amazing work! And thanks to those of you who came up with the work-around for the crashing and vessel duplication. I can finally play again! So much for being productive. :)

KSP is still in development so saves will naturally be broken. Many or most of the current systems/physics in place will be replaced. You should expect this. You can also play .23 as long as you like. Just archive the install folder.

Alright,

The fun was semi-short lived. I used the hot fix linked to from the main post and it seems to be only working some of the time. While I am able to access the mission control successfully now, anytime I visit the VAB, then go back to Mission Control, the game hangs as before.

I've skimmed through the last 50 or so pages of the forum since the hotfix was posted but didn't see anything. Have I missed something?

Thanks for the help.

Flight computer issue again:

Made a maneuver node, set to point at node and then clicked to execute node. Direction was correct, surprisingly no wobble (though this wobble still remains on other ships; helps to use kill rotation feature of RT2/MJ, but when I go on EVA it starts swaying again), node execution started as planned, after that flight computer closed (specifically, its window shrunk to the size of close button) and it continued burn even after node delta-v was already reached. Only thing that stopped burn was clicking green computer icon again and clicking any button there. Seems like I'm forgetting that feature till better times and use MJ instead =(

P.S. Tried both with enabled and disabled signal delay - no difference. Same goes for ship swaying problem.

I've just had this exact same problem, except that Flight Computer also stopped trying to hold any particular heading after the node burn time was met, and instead tumbled wildly through space with engines on full blast until the stage's fuel was completely expended. Also, I wasn't able to queue any actions for after the node was finished (though that might be my fault since I'm not quite sure I understand how to queue stuff yet). And once the burn started, I was unable to access the command queue at all - clicking the button to make it show up just caused the Flight Computer window to disappear; after it was done, the Flight Computer window stopped showing up at all. Still haven't gotten control back, since I need to wait for Mission Control to come over the horizon and I can't timewarp since the ship's still throttled up. It seems like Flight Computer just didn't turn the throttle off after it was done carrying out the maneuver node.

Broken compatibility is the risk we all take with all mods and even stock save games. Squad make no apology for this and as stated above, I have skipped entire versions because I didn't want to lose my you-beaut universe. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade.