N-5 Moon Rocket

Odo

GlPTJnL.png

Hello fellow Kerbonauts! I've decided to make another apollo style rocket, bigger and better then my previous one. And the N-5 was the result! Intended to resemble the N1 russian rocket and the Saturn V american rocket, the N5 was born. 4 stages, 679 parts, and 871 tons of solid Lunar Justice. This rocket is designed to give a realistic apollo style Moon mission, and if you fly it right, will leave 0 debris behind.

Statistics

Parts: 679

Weight: 871 tons

Payload to LKO: 120 tons

ACTION GROUPS

1: Activates Launch Escape System.

2: Decouples LES and deploys parachutes.

3: Activates soft landing retro rockets. Use this right before you land back on Kerbin.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download Link:

http://www./?nykgg6b6g6w87ux

Tell me what you think!

Edited by Supernovy
Fixed album embedding

I love this. Absolutely love it. It looks great, functions great, and is just all-around amazing.

Thank you! Means a lot coming from you :D (May not know it but Ive drooled over your russian rockets for a month or so haha)

If you could somehow make the lander look like a mash-up of the Apollo LEM and the Soviet LK, that would be really cool.

that would be extremely cool! I wanted to originally but ended up making an LEM looking one instead. Im going to try the SovietLK mixed with the LEM again, but its gonna be pretty hard balancing out considering it almost HAS to be asymmetrical.

looks really cool! I think the only thing I want to see from it is a video of it, but I guess its more fun to fly it myself!

I would LOVE to make a cinematic video, problem is, I have never in my life made a video. I dont even know where to start! And me being on a MAC makes it even harder to get reliable video software :(

Edited by Odo

why are there parachutes on the landing stage?

Underneath the adapter that the docking port is on.

EDIT:

Woops mis read that. THe parachutes are there for asthetics only, meant to resemble the tanks on the sides of the LM.

Edited by Odo

Awesome craft! But I can't help but feel bad for that poor lone kerbal who is stuck in a high kerbin orbit XD

That would be Erzon Kerman. Believe it or not he was stranded in one of the earlier versions of this rocket, when the command module ran out of fuel on the way back. We had to get the kerbals out and push, and during an EVA mishap his eva pack ran out of fuel and he couldnt get back on the ladder. On the bright side the other 2 Kerbals mad eit back after 2 hours of pushing :) We are still trying to figure out how to save Erzon.. I dont want to lose him since he has such an awesome name :P

That's beautiful. Just one small suggestion, rotate the NCS adapters to reveal the black side. It might look a bit less chaotic in that area then.

Thanks! :D

And Hmm I quite like teh striped side, but I havent tried the black side yet. I'll try that tomorrow and post results :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Because of how much extra fuel this thing has (I drop the 2nd stage with 1/8 fuel left, and the 3rd stage with about half its fuel left) I could probably get it to duna. With a CSM modified to have a nuclear engine of course, and considering the lander could be landed entirely with parachutes, I would have both its stages for ascent.

Ill reflect on that tomorrow :)

Thank you for all the positive feedback :)

Has anyone downloaded and tested this?

I would love to test fly it, but it's more of a matter of how big the explosion of my computer will be when I open it. (I can only handle about 150 parts well, and about 300 parts depending on how bad I want it.)

I would love to test fly it, but it's more of a matter of how big the explosion of my computer will be when I open it. (I can only handle about 150 parts well, and about 300 parts depending on how bad I want it.)

Im running on a potato too, imagine how bad it was for me to MAKE it :P I lost my patience a couple of times haha.

UPDATE:

Added soft landing retro rockets and landing legs, pressing 3 will activate the retro rockets, this is recommended to be used right before you touch down while returning to Kerbin, and hitting G will extend the hidden landing legs.

5brgdd0.png

2rRYve5.png

CgrmmRm.png

This allows you to land at roughly 2m/s as apposed to the 6m/s without them. This is particularly useful if you are going to land over water, or on any unstable ground.

The retro firing rockets is a feature included in all manned capsules, however the 3 landing legs was inspired by the SpaceX Dragon capsule.

Edited by Odo

I was able to easily get to Duna and back, I just wasnt able to land with the standard lunar lander. I think if I added parachutes I'd definitely be able to land without any problems.

Drifting over the poles of Duna, contemplating whether we should try to land or not. (this pic is merely for proof I got there haha)

hBFfSFs.png

Edited by Odo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.