Another ISS!

So my buddy and I were playing around on KMP trying to figure out what exactly we should do "together". So we decided to build an ISS, as close as we could in actual looks while at the same time also matching "function". Since KMP no likey mods, this is entirely stock. I analyzed the individual modules and what purposes they served, facilities they offered, and their capabilities. For all intents and purpose, every module that has so far made up this station is "functional" compared to the real things. They have all been launched aboard stock Proton rockets, except for the Unity docking node, which we sent up using a stock Falcon Heavy inspired launcher since we don't have a space shuttle. Part count is already starting to make my PC twitch a little, and we only have "Expedition 1" so far. Each component was launch in it's appropriate order as well. Station is sitting at a 250km 0* orbit. We decided against the ISS's inclination just for the ease of intercept, but 60% of the ISS's orbit gave us 250 so we decided we'd at least do that.

She's small, but great things often come from small beginnings :cool:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Soyuz is a little big compared to the station, but otherwise she looks good. The Soyuz and it's launcher honestly took longer than the 3 station modules I've assembled so far. :D

Edited by Yalin Hawk

Nice replica! These are some authentic-looking modules. Are you going to add on or keep it with just Zarya, Unity, and Zvezda? Also, what's the part count like?

If you want it, I've got a smaller mini-style Soyuz somewhere... I'll see if I can find it :)

I'll upload .crafts for the Soyuz and modules once I check out their launchers again for tweaking. Part count isn't crazy but as you can imagine there are certain aesthetic things that doing with stock KSP parts means lots of structural plates, etc. I tried to balance between looking good, actually functioning, and not nuking my PC.

I'll keep going until it gets unbearably slow. I just wish there was a legit stock space shuttle analog in KSP. But no, all the US modules have to be launched on rockets. Darn lack of shuttle parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.