tug options  

1. 1. tug options

• attempt to reuse it despite better ones latter
    • land it on minmus/ maybe return
    • land on minmus do a mun flyby and try to land on kerbin
    • crash in to minmus/ mun
    • let it stay there as a reminder tomy first maned flight to minmus
    • Try to go interplanetary with it

well I have been playing career mode and decided to go to minmus for the first real time, I launch a lander and then launched and docked a tug to it and sent it to minmus to do an Apollo style landing and return. sadly I forgot minmus had like 1 half mun gravity and was able to do 70% of the landing on RCS alone.

so in other words the lander is back at kerbin with tons of science and the tug is in a 6 to 8,000 orbit around minmus with a little over a quarter of its fuel left and almost all its RCS, what should I do with it?

tug specs:

4 LVN lander engines, (the shallow yellow ones)

1 stayputnic

4 lvt-400 tanks (two have full fuel)

1 lvt-800 tank (has about half fuel, had to pump fuel back to lander do to tug using its first tank)

4 rcs blocks

200 units of RCS fuel.

and other misc stuffs for space travel and tug operations.

no chutes/ legs by the way never intended it to land

Edited by Tidus Klein

You could decelarate with your LV-Ns, then use RCS to flip it and land on its belly. RCS should be plenty for the final touchdown, it doesn't sound too heavy from the specs you posted. Though that might not work if you have some fragile solar panels on the side. :)

What I do with my old tugs/obsolete ships/etc. is leave them in orbit an use them as fuel depots by connecting them to other useless fuel containers I have floating around. It's an excuse to build a space station/fuel depot anyway around Minmus, which can also help with interplanetary stuff because its a final stop/refueling before you go out, and its easy to escape Kerbin's gravity from there.

Well Blackstar I took your idea and did this.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

as you can see it still has an ok amount of fuel left, and im thinking of doing something else with it any ideas. actually thinking of setting it as debris so latter in the game when I forget about it. it would be like a self made Easter egg!

Edited by Tidus Klein

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.