Fusion Drives (again)

KerikBalm

So I wanted your thoughts on this fusion drive system I've added (duplicating stock part models and changing their stats and names).

I was basing it around a dense plasma focus reactor (I think these need more development, they look much more promising than toruses from what I've read).

Anyway, these reactors #1) are approaching the conditions needed for P-B11 fusion, #2) are acheiving fusion rates of toroidal and ICF reactors many times their size, and thus wouldn't need to be scaled up as much to break even, #3) produce an ion beam stream that can be directly used for high ISP thrust, or decelerated against a magnetic field for direct generation of electricity.

So my system has 5 parts:

1) A P-B11 fusion Reactor

2) A High ISP "nozzle" consuming P-B11 fuel

3) A 1/10th ISP high thrust engine consuming P-B11 fuel and Xenon gas

4) A P-B11 fuel container

5) Stock Xenon containers

To make my fusion system work, I've added a resource "IonBeam" generated by the reactor, so you can only run 1 of the 2 engines at once.

As for the stats.... I decided my reactor would be 50% efficient... or rather that it generates 2x as much power as it consumes - so it only has to decelerate the ion stream enough to remove 1/2 its kinetic energy. Given KE = 1/2 mv^2, this means approximately an ISP of approximately 70% the maximum listed over here at atomic rockets:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#hbfusion

That results in an ISP of 70,000 (!!!)

Next, I decided that a net output of 500 Megawatts was "reasonable", and a reactor weight of 3.5 tons was "reasonable", and calculated how much thrust I could get with that much power, at 70,000 ISP.... Skipping the calculations (I can show if you want)... I arrived at 1,428.6 Newtons... or 1.428 kN -> which I rounded to 1.5 kN.... 3x the thrust of the games Ion Engine :rolleyes: (though these ion engines are already unrealistically powerful for gameplay purposes, since you can't time warp with active engines) - with a much much worse T:W ratio.

Going back to 1/2mv^2 ... if you lower your ISP by 10x, you can increase your thrust by 100x... so I figured I'd do that, so I did some technobabble about how a high energy ion beam is used to superheat the Xenon propellant into a plasma...

And I figured this system would be ~80% efficient.... so I made another thruster, this time with only 7,000 ISP (1/10th the max), and instead of 1.5 kN, I multiplied that by 80.... 120 kN of thrust.... Now we're talking:) It uses the Nuclear engine model, and adds another 1 ton (reasonable I think).

You'd be surprised how many Xenon tanks you can go through with such an engine... but it easily achieves SSTO.

It seems a bit OP'd I'm not sure this 1/10th ISP, 80x thrust engine is a good idea.... seems a bit unrealistic... but I did the math... and it seems to me that if one assumes a 500 MW reactor that fuses P-B11 (If you used Helium3-Deuterium, you'd get even higher ISPs!) is reasonable... then it seems this would be the result... maybe I need to crank up the reactor weight......

• 2 weeks later...

Hrmmm, lest someone read this and think its realistic, I realized I made a mistake.

Reducing ISp by 10x increases the mass accelerated by 100x, but not the thrust, as you accelerate 100x as much mass per second to only 1/10th the velocity.

The 7,000 ISP thruster would only get ~15 kN of thrust.... You'd need a 5 gigawatt reactor for that amount of thrust, a 500 megawatt one wouldn't be sufficient

To get a mere 120 kN of thrust, it would be only 875 kN - not much better than the nuclear engine we've already got. Doube the thrust, sure (but I've set the weight to be nearly 2x higher for the reactor+ engine), and only ~10% more ISP... ah well, I'll go with it. A 5 gigawatt reactor weighing that little is not very realistic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.