[0.22] Aviation & Probes Tech Tree

Black Spy

I used TreeLoader to create hard and balanced tech tree.

Actually, it's totally rebalanced Yargnit's Tech-tree. Now we have cheap aircraft and tiny rockets nodes, but very expensive medium-sized rocket parts.

Also included parts from my favourite mods (see list below). The tree is balanced to be used with Remote Tech 2 mod.

nZdbCDw.png

Gameplay:

Hard, but not imposible. Early access to aircraft to gather science from Kerbin biomes. You can launch only tiny probes to the orbit before you reach 1/4 of the tech tree. No interplanetary flights before you reach 1/3 of the tech tree! If you use Remote Tech you need unlock dishes for science transmissions.

Supported mods:

B9 Aerospace Pack R4.0c

Ion Hybrid Electric Pack v.2.2

Procedural Fairings 2.4.2

KW Rocketry 2.5.5

SCANsat build 3

Remote Tech 2 v1.1.0

MechJeb2-2.1.0.0

Changelog

v.1.2
- uncompatible with previous save games
- rebalanced construction parts
- rebalanced aviation and rocketry branches (thanks, BrickedKeyboard)
- B9 Aerospace parts with oxidizer and RCS are moved to rocketry and RCS nodes
- added KW Rocketry v2.5.5 support
- fixed exploit with Deadly Reentry's parts (heat shields works like separators, so placed together)
- and many small fixes
- added KSP Interstellar support

v1.01
- Fixed disappearing flight node

- Initial release

You can download it using TreeEdit or as a save file (TreeLoader included).

Firespitter version

<picture is out of date, but looks same as newest release>

K29GQxI.png

Changelog

v.1.2
- some bugs fixed
- uncompatible with previous save games

v1.1
- rebalanced construction parts
- rebalanced aviation and rocketry branches (thanks, BrickedKeyboard)
- B9 Aerospace parts with oxidizer and RCS are moved to rocketry and RCS nodes
- added KW Rocketry v2.5.5 support
- fixed exploit with Deadly Reentry's parts (heat shields works like separators, so placed together)
- and many small fixes

v1.02
- added KSP Interstellar support

v1.01
- Fixed disappearing flight node

v1.0
- Initial release

Download as a save file. You should have Firespitter to play this version of tree!

I have some issues with construction parts. It seems like some parts are so expensive. What do you think about this? :rolleyes:

Edited by Black Spy
new version

If you are aiming for aircraft early, then firespitter should be supported and move early so you can start with props and small rockets, move to jets, etc.

It's very good idea! I'll think about it. But how make it playable for people who don't use Firespitter? Except putting Firespitter parts in the start node?

It's very good idea! I'll think about it. But how make it playable for people who don't use Firespitter? Except putting Firespitter parts in the start node?

Just require firespitter. There's already a small subset of people who will try this tree out, there's no reason to cater to the 3 people who want to play this tree yet refuse to install firespitter.

Nice , could you add KSP Interstellar to the end of the tree ?

It works like in Yargnit's Tech tree. Warp engines for 1500 cost. And plasma engines in another technology for 1500 cost. I don't know how expensive it should be. :rolleyes:

I looked at your tree file, KW Rocketry and B9 aerospace are both mentioned a lot. Do we want to have one or both installed for the proper experience?

(the reason I asked is that B9 and KW both add a lot of duplicate parts that clutter up the editor)

No, you can play this tree without any mods. Except Remote Tech 2, because one branch of the tree will contain only useless unmanned pods.

Edited by Black Spy

Something wrong .. .as soon as I research Wings, I lose connection to the previous node , and lose all parts in there. :(

I checked the code, but it's clear. Strange bug and strange solution... I've updated it to 1.01.

You can fix it without starting new game:

1. Backup your save file.

2. Open your persistent.sfs file (KSP\saves\*savename*\persistent.sfs) with notepad.

3. Find something like this:

Tech
{
id = flight
state = Available
part = B9.Aero.Wing.SH.A65.2m
part = B9.Aero.Wing.SW.Wingtip.2x7m
part = B9.Aero.Wing.SW.Wingtip.4x7m
part = sweptWing
part = tailfin
part = winglet
}
Tech
{
id = survivability
state = Available
part = miniLandingLeg
part = SmallGearBay
}
Tech
{
id = flight
state = Available
part = sweptWing
part = tailfin
part = winglet
}

4. Delete double flight researching. It will be like this:

Tech
{
id = flight
state = Available
part = sweptWing
part = tailfin
part = winglet
}
Tech
{
id = survivability
state = Available
part = miniLandingLeg
part = SmallGearBay
}

5. Save and play. Maybe you will be need to research it again.

You didn't add the new nodes "interstellarTechFusionPower, interstellarTechAccelerator, or interstellarTechAntimatterPower" to your tree.cfg. So I'm having trouble seeing how you support warp engines and other stuff from KSP Interstellar. A search of the file reveals no results for common KSP Interstellar items such as the "vista" fusion engine, etc.

I finally figured out why it is working at all -> it's set by the mod itself to be present when the vanilla tech tree node "experimental science" is present.

However, you haven't added the correct nodes to the tree from this mod.

Start a new game. Choose the "KSP Interstellar" tree. Look at the top 3 nodes in the tree.cfg file. That's them. There's also a couple other definitions buried in the tree. Look at this map here : http://i.imgur.com/55xVHqY.png

As for cost, well, I haven't played the research enough to really know what the costs are, however, keep in mind that KSP Interstellar offers a science lab that simply gives you more science points if you put it somewhere and it has crew and a power source.

Ok. Some questions.

1. What parts except Vista can use deuterium and tritium?

2. How effective plasma engines? I think I'll put them and nuclear reactors in Experemental Rocketry node (1500 cost).

3. What defines part upgrades? Node_name, available parts or something else? This is very important, otherwise upgrades would be unavailable.

4. How effective microwave transmitter and receiver? I think they should cost 2500 or 5000. And electric generators at least 1500.

1. Nothing

2. Depends on power source. http://i.imgur.com/omF5f3q.png

3. Node_name

4. Not very, because of how the game does not simulate spacecraft you don't have focused. This prevents relay systems from working more than intermittently. I think most players find them more trouble than they are worth.

v1.02 Firespitter version

I've tested, but not sure that Interstellar nodes will not disappear. This is a very strange bug.

Please test how to upgrade interstellar parts.

Yes, I play with FAR and FS. FAR works with FS parts like with the stock ones. But I wasn't able to take off using FS wheels. They veering, veering, veering...

Look at Aircraft Design tutorial

Edited by Black Spy

What strange bug? I cheated myself enough science points to unlock your whole tree so I can take a look at it. It looks great, for the most part, with nice clear paths of progression and the KSP interstellar stuff fits in perfectly. I closed the game and relaunched, and loaded the game again, nothing has disappeared.

Now, there's just one criticism I have. The nodes "basic rocketry" and "general rocketry" come reasonably early. Moreover, you can get them instead of supersonic and high altitude flight. Suborbital hops are much easier to make work and are much faster than airplane flights for the job of getting around on Kerbin. If you are using remote tech and Ion cross, you'll have trouble actually going anywhere that is not near Kerbin, but you can get there much faster with rockets.

However, at least all the planes are available much sooner, versus space travel which you have to research 2 trees to do effectively. Also, for those of us who have a tough time setting up an efficient interplanetary burn without MechJeb to calculate them precisely, it's a good spot in the tree where you put it.

The way I would fix this, I would move the top line of rocketry stuff (the line that starts with basic rocketry) over a couple notches in difficulty, and I would move the hypersonic flight nodes back several nodes.

I know that in real life, we have barely teched up to hypersonic flight 50 years after rocketry was common, but in this game, it is very hard to fly a hypersonic space-plane to anywhere, but rockets are easy.

Fixed that for ya :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16656673/tree.cfg

Almost exactly the same number of points, but I took a bunch of points out of the middle aviation stuff, reducing their costs to about 1/2 to 2/3 of their former values.

I added those points to the top line of high end rockets, increasing it all but especially increasing the cost for the nuclear engine.

I left the science stuff below alone, since you can't be getting points flying around the atmosphere if you don't have science modules.

The reason for this, as I said, is to beat this campaign you absolutely MUST have rockets, eventually the big ones, to get around to get that science. You need extra fuel if you don't have mechjeb, also, so the bigger the better.

You MUST have science gathering gear and radio antennas to get all the science you need, this tree totals out to almost 50,000 points.

But you do not need any of the aerospace stuff, you can get around the planet much easier doing suborbital hops.

Thanks for feedback! I looked at the tree and found 2 nodes, named "basic rocketry". :) I forgot to put Thermal Turbojet into the Experimental Aerodynamics node. Also, reduced cost of the Ion node. And some more improvements.

Now I see 2 problems:

1. HL fuselage from B9 contains a lot of fuel and costs 120. Similar stock parts costs 875. We can launch a huge rockets which looks like Airbus. :D

2. I rarely use construction parts, so I didn't balanced them perfectly.

Not tested for bugs. http://www./?awa0v7kss80p4zo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.