[0.25] RasterPropMonitor - putting the A in your IVA (v0.18.3) [8 Oct]

Mihara

I've had a problem for a while now. When launching my shuttle from IVA (incredible mod btw, makes this possible!) I set my reference part to represent the engines angle of thrust; but whenever I come out of IVA the reference part resets to the cockpit forcing me to manually change it back on the MFD, or from the part menu every time I change view. Oh btw making double clicking in IVA no longer unset the target is immensely useful when scrolling through menus, please don't remove this :)

In the target page, once you've selected the vessel you want to dock with, press Enter again and you can choose from the available docking ports there.

http://imgur.com/a/lst3H

Your screens might look different, but it's the same actions.

EDIT : I discovered I had `lander` off even though I had explicitly turned it on...

Thank you for your help. I didn`t know about the submenu for docking ports. Now I must reshoot my completely IVA mun mission, hehe.

Might be I had quicksaved then reloaded and reset it that way when testing and didn`t realise.

Is it possible to reorder the list to show the nearest target at the top? It would make things much easier for docking.

How do you start an autopilot mode?

You need Mechjeb installed and then you can control Mechjeb with RPM

Edited by John FX

I've had a problem for a while now. When launching my shuttle from IVA (incredible mod btw, makes this possible!) I set my reference part to represent the engines angle of thrust; but whenever I come out of IVA the reference part resets to the cockpit forcing me to manually change it back on the MFD, or from the part menu every time I change view.

This is stock behaviour. Whenever you enter IVA, your reference part is reset to the pod the IVA is located in. It happens regardless of whether you have RPM installed or not during all the code that deals with switching the main camera.

Trying to intercept this change and prevent it from happening turns my code into a very messy game of cat and mouse and can cause worse issues, so after spending half a day trying to catch it and close all the loopholes I eventually gave up.

Oh btw making double clicking in IVA no longer unset the target is immensely useful when scrolling through menus, please don't remove this :)

That's another case of a cat-and-mouse game, but in this one I actually succeeded and I'm definitely keeping it. :)

Is it possible to reorder the list to show the nearest target at the top? It would make things much easier for docking.

buttonHome switches sort order. With these monitor models, it's mapped to the 'circle' button.

where should I put showHeadingBarPrograde = false ?

In the handler configuration section obviously.

smart ass integration is not working for my

MechJeb 2.2 (or a later dev build of MechJeb) is required.

I have a question about localMargins. They start at 0, 0 but do they go to width/height-1, ie: 0 - 39 for a width for 40? Also, they seem to be wrecking JSITargetMenu, though I'm still trying to figure out how/why.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, and it may be my misuse of it, but localMargins has two unintended behaviors. First off, it seems to prevent the display of JSITargetMenu, though you can still 'interact' with it, even though you can't see what you are doing. Second, it also appears to move textOverlay, which though I am not entirely certain, I suspect is an unintended behavior.

EDIT2: As far as JSITargetMenu is concerned, perhaps an option to simply hide illegal(unavailable) target selections? Also, being able to truncate the lists would be helpful, though this might be better served by offering the user a way to define the boundaries of a page/background handler. I feel like I could do a few cool things with the list if I could give myself some space, but as it is I'm just lucky it's gives me the space it does.

Edited by Hyomoto

I have to chime in to that smart ass isn't working for me either ( v2.2 mechjeb and .15 rpm). Only mod I have that might be conflicting at all is vessel viewer tho not sure if it would do that or not.

edit: Infact this spammed soon as i clicked the button to go to mechjeb.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/579019453309205712/1A3DC733A6B3B394F2726585ECA0F0A07899CB8C/

I really like this mod, it makes the whole game feel completely different to me and has made me reconsider every standard design for optimal camera positioning for the IVA. But there's a couple of niggling issues. I really wish the vessel options worked. I don't like having to go back to map mode as it breaks the immersion but I cannot choose anything as they don't appear, and unfortunately the option to pick a node to dock to appears, yet fails to work. so these few times where I have to return to the map are kind of annoying.

Other than that there's a couple mechjeb issues that would be nice if they were featured, like the Apoapsis and Periapsis controls and particularly orbit inclination as these add to the amount of times the IVA immersion is broken. But the best incusion for Mechjeb in IVA would be the option to execute the node or simply plot it and fly it ourselves. The only other thing that would top this off is if the map could also appear in a screen as an option so that we could plot our flight from IVA and a throttle indicator which I may just be missing somewhere.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining about the mod, I actually can't get enough of it, just these things would make it the initial mod install personally. The more I can feel like the astronaut the better.

Edited by Kerbonautical

Can I ask for a change to the model (texture) of the camera? I`d like a dark blob or line where the `top` is so I can orient them properly without having to go IVA and look at the monitor.

Currently the perfectly round unmarked oval is hard to put the right way up.

Or could you show me where the top is in the current texture?

V2Ojkxj.png

I have a question about localMargins. They start at 0, 0 but do they go to width/height-1, ie: 0 - 39 for a width for 40?

No, it's how many symbols you want free from the right edge, so if you want one line free from all directions, you write 1,1,1,1.

EDIT2: As far as JSITargetMenu is concerned, perhaps an option to simply hide illegal(unavailable) target selections? Also, being able to truncate the lists would be helpful, though this might be better served by offering the user a way to define the boundaries of a page/background handler. I feel like I could do a few cool things with the list if I could give myself some space, but as it is I'm just lucky it's gives me the space it does.

...but localMargins is supposed to do exactly that.

I have to chime in to that smart ass isn't working for me either ( v2.2 mechjeb and .15 rpm). Only mod I have that might be conflicting at all is vessel viewer tho not sure if it would do that or not.

edit: Infact this spammed soon as i clicked the button to go to mechjeb.

A screenshot is not helpful. Could you get this to happen again and show your KSP_Data/output_log.txt instead?

I really wish the vessel options worked. I don't like having to go back to map mode as it breaks the immersion but I cannot choose anything as they don't appear, and unfortunately the option to pick a node to dock to appears, yet fails to work. so these few times where I have to return to the map are kind of annoying.

...what "vessel options" in particular are you talking about and where? I'm afraid I don't quite get what are you trying to do.

Other than that there's a couple mechjeb issues that would be nice if they were featured, like the Apoapsis and Periapsis controls and particularly orbit inclination as these add to the amount of times the IVA immersion is broken.

MechJeb has no apoapsis or periapsis 'controls' last time I checked. It has a maneuver planner and a maneuver executor. Maneuver planner needs some means of controlling it from IVA which means another menu to code and numeric entry, maneuver executor is supported, -- there's even a button -- even though it might not be implemented in a particular IVA patch.

Or could you show me where the top is in the current texture?

If I could, I'd paint the 'top' marker in long ago. :) Unfortunately the 'camera' model is a rescaled RCS thruster, I have no clue of how it's texture is mapped. If anyone else can do this, I'll be happy to include the results.

If I could, I'd paint the 'top' marker in long ago. :) Unfortunately the 'camera' model is a rescaled RCS thruster, I have no clue of how it's texture is mapped. If anyone else can do this, I'll be happy to include the results.

I`ve looked at a camera, figured out `top` and I`ve got it in photoshop now. I`ll let you know how it goes.

EDIT : It has worked fine. The textures seem to have a weird mapping where they are projected front to back through the object as opposed to actually mapping the surface

Here is the new PNG

http://www./view/h1icm2pa8ugcd9r/model000.png

and this is how it looks

gbAqgr1.png

and this is the view from that camera

aCyQiQH.png

Right, I`m off to rotate all my cameras!

Edited by John FX

...what "vessel options" in particular are you talking about and where? I'm afraid I don't quite get what are you trying to do.

Myself I`d like to be able to permanently set `lander` as an object that can be targeted. How could I change the config to do that? (it does not seem to save the setting)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYzqg0314S0ZTFxdEs3VDAxREk/edit?usp=sharing

Log might be long since thats the entire mission I did but I did save the log from when the smart ass refused to work. Whats happening on my end is when I hit the button for Smart ass is it refuses to do anything but in the debug log it throws out all those null references.

Sorry I probably should have explained better. The IVA menu allows me to select celestial bodies however any orbiting ships do not appear under vessels and have to be manually selected from the map if I'm planning to rendezvous. When in vercinity I can see the docking ports etc in the menu, but for some reason selecting them from the IVA doesn't seem to do anything. I'm wondering if maybe I done something wrong somehow actually.

MechJeb has no apoapsis or periapsis 'controls' last time I checked. It has a maneuver planner and a maneuver executor. Maneuver planner needs some means of controlling it from IVA which means another menu to code and numeric entry, maneuver executor is supported, -- there's even a button -- even though it might not be implemented in a particular IVA patch.

Oops, yeah it was the maneuver planner I was thinking of. Figured there was probably a bit more to it with that than some of the other MechJeb options since the maneuver planner covers so many different bases of control. By the way I noticed in the screenshots you have some type of geographical map displayed on some of the screens, is that through some extra mod I've missed somehow? I can't seem to find that tool.

No, it's how many symbols you want free from the right edge, so if you want one line free from all directions, you write 1,1,1,1.

That makes sense, sometimes the easy answer seems too obvious (yeah ... that's it ;)). The values I was using were 0,1,0,16 and, admittedly though that isn't what I wanted, it should still leave three lines of the menu. However, what happened is it simply did not draw JSITargetMenu. It just continued to draw the previous page. I'll try it out again with different values and see what comes up then.

OK, I have searched the entire thread and the only places `filter` is mentioned is when it was introduced and me asking how it works.

I have checked the FAQ, I have read the documentation.

So. How do you define the target filter so the vessel type `lander` is always shown? Currently I have to go into the filter and explicitly set it every launch...

I cannot find out how anywhere.

Anyone?

I have also searched in the gamedata folder for the words `filter` `target` and `lander` but got nothing useful.

Please tell me the filter list is not hardcoded...

Edited by John FX

Hi,

MechJeb integration was working for me with the RPM dev build from a few days ago (I'm using the latest dev build of MJ), but I just installed the latest official RPM build and it's back to showing "autopilot software not installed". Is there something I need to do to enable it?

Yeah, I know why [making SCANsat toolbar-compatible] breaks it, I just don't know exactly how RPM detects the SCANsat map. There are probably simple ways to get rid of the minimized SCANsat icon without breaking RPM (or changing how RPM works), but I'll leave that to someone else.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping?p=1086970&viewfull=1#post1086970

DMagic has done a wonderful job with some little updates to the SCANsat mod, chiefly making it compatible with the Toolbar. However, for whatever reason, this breaks the RPM version of SCANsat.

Would Mihara or MOARdV (or indeed anyone) like to help out? I figured you guys would be the best people to either help out or come up with a solution amenable to all :)

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP