Research, planets and solar system need some changes for career mode IMHO

Okay, I don’t think it’s just me but here is what I think need to be changed for career mode before the game goes live.

Planets and Solar System

Right now we all know the planets inside and out in terms of gravity, etc and what it takes to get there. I would like to suggest that the game allow for randomness when a new game is started so that the number of planets, moons, etc. is different. This way the game doesn’t become instantly stale. It would also mean that players would actually have to research and test ships, etc before just going to the planet and landing there.

Research

What the above also means is that the research tree needs to be revamped. It should allow for unmanned experiments to happen 1st before sending and Kerbals. (Losing Kerbals should also have some form of penalty such as loss of funding). At least to me the current research tree seems upside down or backwards. For example, you get some testing ability at the end or almost the end of the tree. To me that makes no sense.

I would also suggest that manned flight in planes should be done 1st before flight manned flight in a capsule. Maybe even some randomness could be trown in to what you get in terms of research.

For example, wont the game become instant old news if you already know everything about the planets? I get that you can still fly there but isn't the challenge, or shouldn't be, to do more than just fly there?

I would also suggest that we add researchers like we have pilots now. They would have skills like intelligence, creativity and persistence. I would suggest names such as Werner, Ivan, etc.

Outcomes from research should be variable based on skill of researchers, number of researchers on the project and funding of the research. Outcomes could be failure, normal and exceptional.

I mean if all you want to do is fly around, there is the sandbox mode, what I am suggesting is for the career mode to make it more rewarding, challenging and different each time you play.

My point was that the game is still in alpha so constructive feedback is necessary to make the game better.

I think randomness to the solar system is a cool idea. Not sure how you could reconcile it with the existing system, however. Maybe have it as a check box before you start a game, whether you want the standard one or "surprise me"? I'd support Kerbin staying the same, but the other planets could have randomized names, orbits, and science yields, and limited-randomized diameter, density, and terrain topography/colors.

Unmanned flight first seems like a given so I'll agree to that too, but I don't have enough info to comment on researchers. People are still arguing over how to make space stations useful for science lol.

Edited by RSwordsman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.