Surveying Kerbin (concentrated with images)

mattihase

I often look at the thread "Long-term Laythe Mission" by Brotoro. Which is where he visits and names the various land masses of the titular moon. and that got me thinking why hasn't this been done for Kerbin. there probably has been at one point a thread where someone has already done this but i thought I'd do it myself.

Part 1: building a scout

The first thing I'd need would be hardware so I built this (it's in my career mode world so i don't yet have turbojets or delta wings):

oCTilzH.png

As you can see Jorhat has immense confidence in this mission.

I was unable to get it off the runway until the end of it dropped from under the plane but it was fine after that.

After a quick maneuvering test I decided to fly over to the mountains.

kxN9ZMd.png

I tried physics warping and the plane did a nose dive...

5ZafshJ.png

...but I pulled it out of it easily

TSz9Ljw.png

After crossing the mountains I decided to land in a basin(or possibly a crater) to the north

yejNYKj.png

fAA2oJG.png

you can see in the last picture I have the lights on so I can judge how far down the ground is

WrkJvKm.png

the plane glided into landing quite well and touched down without damaging it's rover wheels

u8tBFdw.png

oPDb0uN.png

I retracted the landing gear to allow the rover wheels to work and...

fQD1lwC.png

mt0UbBF.png

... found that thee plane was incredibly back heavy. so I lifted the rear gears and tried using those as rear wheels

chAr3uK.png

I manage to get up t around 4 m/s before a wheel broke off and then it went much faster

xo2Eiiu.png

XMVJs9a.png

then another wheel fell of and it started dipping into the slope so i decided to take off again. unfortunately I didn't know how badly the plane handled slopes.

R4xBgne.png

so I reverted the flight. next time I think I'll put the bigger rover wheels on it. I even forgot to plant a flag (no that it matters considering I reverted the flight)

maybe I'll get something more productive done next time.

EDIT: Now with the images... I hope.

Edited by mattihase

After last part's failure (the plane crashed and i didn't even leave a flag) I upgraded the kerbin explorer to version I.II (1.2)

XCtWgd3.png

mHmSTFo.png

This explorer has some canards, thrusters at the front and larger, more powerful wheels. as Jorhat was sitting on the runway (i reset the flight) I gave Malden Kerman the honour of testing explorer 1.2.

The canards I added allowed me to take off before the end of the runway.

wJC6waF.png

time for some hardware testing...

Time warp:

AIaoDYr.png

It handles time warp well

How about maximum altitude?:

uxbzvkx.png

20,000 meters now let's try turning:

3p0mo7W.png

Oh that isn't going well. I think Malden might have a fear of heights too.

Rku0LsL.png

hv3GMeR.png

fortunately for him I recover the plane before the altitude reaches the negative figures.

eSOtcVb.png

Malden must live nearby. so I decide to land and name a nearby lake after him.

UAzr1Mo.png

vvN7fhS.png

well the engines are still on... for now.

I decide to drive over closer to the shore

65SjQCn.png

8mYUIwt.png

oiWSLad.png

Close enough. I get Malden out to inspect the area and mark it with the Fabric based Light Automated Gonfalon or FLAG marker.

y0ZOyXY.png

Rh6XrlR.png

he decides to examine the lake...

OlvmoCG.png

It's a bit muddy.

he accidentally drops a FLAG marker into the lake. they are surprisingly buoyant and bouncy.

FUBGl68.png

XqIG9an.png

istaMzN.png

LO5ovqw.png

he eventually manages to grab and restrain the FLAG much to my surprise (I didn't think they could pick up deployed flags) and it gives me an question: Can he carry several flags along with him?

by planting a flag, reentering the cockpit and picking the flag back up I get this:

SymOZyl.png

This could be useful for exploring areas that vehicles can't go. or sponsored mountain climbs.

anyway back he gets back into the plane, reverses it and takes off (and crashes into a mountain but I quicksaved before takeoff and tried it again)

erTBCrh.png

oZPWxmj.png

Originally I intended to head back to the east coast but i was drawn in by a lake on the west coast that kinda looked like an estuary.

d3g78CC.png

The landing wasn't as good as the one by Malden lake...

GlkS01X.png

kTSPwAa.png

undeterred by the wrecking of the plane i drove it down to the middle of the spit of land separating the lake from the ocean and get Malden to plant a flag.

vhaJUCL.png

the curved lake separated from the sea kinda made me think of oxbow lakes. If they add a jungle biome I'll probably send Malden out to investigate it.

After renaming the plane "broken eagle" Malden calls in a recovery crew.

cfL1RSS.png

it's nice knowing progress is happening for a change.

• 4 weeks later...

After making progress last time I decided to procrastinate more and upgrade my explorer (during which I discovered I couldn't stick rovers on the bottom...)below you can see a ruggedized version of last post's plane taking off during night:

mzVdatR.png

after flying this plane 80 km or so to the north (according to the target distance indicator that I haven't got a screenshot of while it's active)

mt57KRY.png

targeting a flag at KSC and returning I found that the explorer had a maximum range of 446 km. considering kerbin's circumference is about 3800km it isn't that good is it?

so I redesigned the explorer and then completely forgot to work out the new efficiency. (I think it's more because it only has one engine and retains the ability to get off the runway quick. and it glides, gliding's a thing I have a shortage of)

Ladies and gentlekermen I present to you the Kerbin Explorer type II:

Eg2zsCX.png

I sent Advey to take it to explore the north-east coast of the KSC's continent (which for simplicity's sake I will now refer to as Demara).

His original goal was to land on the island to the side but I decided to land on this peninsular instead:

mq0jLyN.png

After a textbook landing I decided to flesh out the lore of our newly christened nation.

S7hD0AB.png

CTt5bFl.png

Kaiser sounded kind of kerbal...

anyway I set off for the next peninsular:

XbWOCan.png

cOvaKvf.png

and did a less than textbook landing:

SZKc42g.png

tCz5oiN.png

(it was the brakes again)

since I was there I placed a F.L.A.G. anyway.

jottIeU.png

So progress has been made in both plane design and naming places, the goals I had set myself.

and i still need to work on the landings

maybe the new drivable plane wheels will help with the not breaking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.