The Versatility Marathon Challenge

Nicely done Finwen. A few tricks to avoid flexing : use KAS struts between your payloads and your coreship, disable all reaction wheels on your payloads and, if you have TAC fuel balancer installed, set the payloads' fuel tanks on 'OUT'. You'll refuel them once at destination.

Nitro, could you explain some things about mission 7 :

What are "8 lard solar arrays" ? Are RTGs forbidden on the satellites ?

"We're also going to need a much larger dish than our standard sized dishes". Do you mean a dish built with structural panels ? What size ? ...

"Head down to the surface with a lander and survey the LZ". There is no LZ shown on Eeloo's pic. Our choice ?

I think I have finished my MPCV :)

Is it enough to start this challenge?

*SNIP*

It's an interesting, simple design, though I forsee problems with the 'pull' attachment ports. You'll have to shutoff that engine most likely to haul anything behind it. may want to consider mounting something radial for the engines and free up the back for pulling.

Not OP, but the basic requirement for a craft certification is to go from LKO (75k or so) to the mun and back to LKO circular orbit. I think if you provided that basic shake-down he'd be likely to approve.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long time for my mission 1. Had some traveling and work related stuff going on, on top of having purchased Arma III. I've now completed mission 1 and I'm happy to say that it went off without a hitch with the exception of the game crashing constantly while I was trying to move all of my passengers out of the 2 passenger shuttles for a screenshot on the runway. I eventually had to give up as I couldn't even load the shuttles after offloading 22 Kerbals. 3 Kerbals remain aboard the Asteria as the core crew. Here are the mission stats:

Satellites deployed: 8

Mun Landings: 3

Minmus Landings: 3

Rovers Deployed: 2

Total Kerbals: 29

Total Kerbals per landing: 6

Kerbals returned to KSC: 26

Total shuttle missions: 7 (Includes 2x Passenger shuttles)

And heres the screenshots.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My Score analysis (If I did any of this wrong please let me know):

Eat your Vegetables +5

Shuttle Missions +100

I know what I need +25 (Can this be earned if going for bonus points?)

Jet engines are for planes +5

Bring the gang along for the ride x26 +260

Home sweet home x26 +130

Mission Completion +150

x2 Satellites Minmus +10

x2 Satellites Mun +10

x4 Extra Satellites +20

x6 Kerbals landing +30

Landings on both poles and Equator +10

Rover Deployed +10

Heavy Satellites +5

Total: 770

Another Edit: I'm installed FAR, KAS, and KW Rocketry Parts pack to my KSP. From this point on I will be using these mods in addition to the previously installed Engineer. If this causes any issues, just let me know and I will be more than happy to start from scratch.

Edited by plymoth45

• 2 weeks later...
http://imgur.com/a/p1OVP#0

This all good? That list of mods from that guy you linked has just about every mod you could think of except damned robotics.

To post an imgur album use this.... [ imgur ] p1OVP [ / imgur ]

-----------------------------------^^^^No Spaces^^^^

So it will look like this.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 2 weeks later...

ztVMBn9.png

Well, there's a modification of The Beetle. She was originally designed as a heavy SSTO VTOL station core capable of lifting to LKO then be docked to to create a space station. Solar panels aren't unfolded yet but if you look they'r stored on the medial side of the engine columns, right next to the kerbal's heads

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.