SAS modules?

According to:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/SAS

"All command modules, with the exception of the EAS-1 External Command Seat, include SAS capabilities."

I'm still stuck on 0.19 but as I hope to upgrade my computer and OS soon, I have wonder....

Does this mean that there is no reason to use the ASAS module (now renamed to inline advanced stabilizer) except on vessels that only have the external command seat?

Its got the same torque as the reaction wheel, and the SAS function is redundant, so, its just more mass for the same thing, no?

Edited by KerikBalm

The inline reaction wheels (All of them) feature the same torque values but they greatly help control the rocket. Also if you get the KSPX mod they have a large IRW with torque of 40 that really helps turn the very big ships. (Or more accurately turn the smaller ones)

I use an extra SAS module on everything with or without a command seat. The command pods won't be very nimble on larger craft, but it you include an additional SAS module, you can fly a lot more easily now in space with larger vehicles. For things with command seats, you can get by just fine by sticking a command seat on an OKTO2 module. Depending on how heavy the lander is, it performs just fine. I use SAS for turning and maneuvering in space and save RCS for craft that need to dock, otherwise you don't need it.

Does this mean that there is no reason to use the ASAS module (now renamed to inline advanced stabilizer) except on vessels that only have the external command seat?

Its got the same torque as the reaction wheel, and the SAS function is redundant, so, its just more mass for the same thing, no?

Correct, the inline advanced stabilizer is completely useless. You should just use the regular 1.25m reaction wheel any time you want extra torque, unless you care more about aesthetics than weight. It's still in-game simply for backwards comparability with older ships.

Go here if you want more info on the SAS system. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/41941-New-SAS-functionality-and-You%21-0-22-Update

The short answer is that, no you don't ever want to use the Inline Advanced Stabilizer. It provides the exact same function as the Inline Reaction Wheel but weighs more. It has no useful purpose. If you have a vessel with only a command chair you can either add a small probe core, or use an IRW, don't use the IAS.

I find that with larger crafts, SAS doesn't quite cut it. I think that due to the very low weight of RCS thrusters and fairly low weight of monopropellant, its worth loading up on that and using RCS to orient your ship. The level of torque generated by a single SAS module alone is so low that it isn't worth dealing with. Saying that, SAS is very useful for a landing stage, and so I will normally design a craft to depend on RCS initially and then use SAS of the landing stage when SAS delivers all the torque needed.

Worthwhile considering is that SAS should be as close to the centre of mass of your rocket as possible to have the biggest effect. The SAS module is trying to spin the rocket around the SAS's own location (that's how reaction wheels work), so if you stick it right up one end of the rocket it will be less effective.

RCS is the opposite, because the forces are generated perpendicular to the rocket's body and you want the RCS modules at the extremities to provide the largest amount of torque. If you clump the RCS modules in the middle of the rocket you are wasting mono.

Yea, I tried the edit, but it wasn't there, after your post, I went back and looked closer, selected "advanced", then I could edit that part.

Also, I'd like to thank DMagic and RadHazard, most of the other posts... well... I wasn't looking for an explanation of using reaction wheels, but rather if the ASAS/AdvancedInline Stablizer was basically completely redundant.... which as I suspected, it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.