Catastrophe: 18 Kerbals killed in one "rescue" mission

jamis

(Alternate title: "Discovered: Greasing your ship with kerbals vastly reduces atmospheric drag")

This story begins with a massively (for my hardware) overbuilt space station, which I called the "Hotel Galactica". By the time I gave up on it (because it was more slide-show than game, at that point) there were 18 kerbals living in it (with room for up to 64). (Sadly, I can't seem to find any of the pictures I took of this station in its hey-day...)

And there it sat, in a 250km Kerbin orbit, for the next 12 game-years. I considered just terminating it, but the thought of those 18 kerbals dying for nothing didn't sit well with me.

Finally, I decided it was time. I bit the bullet, reduced the physics delta to 0.03, and began a rescue. I wanted to minimize visits to the station (understandably), so I build this simple solution for returning 18 kerbals in a single flight:

tHJN1Q5.png

I then spent a bit of time tidying up the station--transferring kerbals to shared spaces and discarding unused sections of the craft, to bring the part count down to a more manageable number.

Then, it was show time.

The rescue ship flew great, and made orbit without difficulty.

vujicZQ.png

Even docking with the station went off without a hitch.

awKC13z.png

(The base, as you can see, is in a sad state of disassembly, only a shadow of its former glory.)

Then the fun began: 18 EVA's, moving each Kerbal out of his apartment and into one of the seats.

5oGCuCD.png

2xevt9I.png

oDdPUnR.png

At last, it was time to bring these kerbonauts home.

yzDeFZC.png

All went as planned--the retro burn, the descent, reentry:

ncJ1rhJ.png

osPTk9b.png

lwsG8g2.png

But, wow, we really seem to be burning brighter than expected:

XmJ1JF5.png

And look, here we are at about 11km, having JUST STOPPED BURNING RED. (Do notice the atmospheric shock-wave around the ship--it was still moving at over 800m/s.)

bheqJ7a.png

The kerbonauts were getting nervous at this point. Terrain detail was visible, and we were STILL descending at over 300 m/s.

OgSJPmF.png

I burned the last of my fuel in an attempt to kill velocity, bringing our speed to under 100 m/s. Surely that would be slow enough for the parachutes to take over, right?

Wrong. Observe the last known shot of this brave crew, 400m above the surface, as they watch their docking port, power generator, RCS fuel, and--yes--parachutes, fly rapidly away from their ship.

HkHhFxW.png

The inevitable result:

0Oh00rS.png

Let us pause and honor this brave crew of 18 kerbals with a moment of silence...

But, hey, did you notice how aerodynamic those kerbals made the ship? I wonder if that would work to optimize an ascent...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.