I finally made it to Jool!

Jwmflying14

Personally, I always build sexy, realistic looking rockets. I have explored via manned craft moho, eve and duna, however never could figure out how to get such a large craft off the ground and to jool without building a ship out of the atmosphere. I always added more fuel, more power, and ended up with the same result... never quite making it.

Sooo... I didn't exactly explore jool with any kerbal... I had this great Idea of launching a MapSat... Turns out, a MapSat can't ma out a gaseous planet... Darn. trip wasted!

OH well, I am just glad I finally did it!

It was done using 2,5m rockets from KW Rocketry. Two liquid fuel boosters that cross feed to the main. 2x Bearcat 2,5 engines with a 4x800 main. This launched an interplanetary rocket consisting of a 1620:1980 tank and a nuclear thermal rocket. This lasted the entire trip, all but circulating my orbit around Jool. I got down to a split of about 8 million meters. The rest of it I used an Ion/xenon engine mounted on my sat.

Anyways, I learned a lot from the mission and will soon be launching at least a 2 kerbal team next...

screenshot0_zps80f15832.png

screenshot1_zpsa19c25c5.png

How did YOU do it?

Edited by Jwmflying14

Congratulations! i did to jool for first time a few weeks ago using a rocket from biggest to smallest (3.75 to 0.625 diameter) i learned how to get a lower escape orbit in the process of the 3 jool missions i have done. Now my Jool missions are electric engine based.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.