Lightest Vessel to Land on a Moon

This is a very interesting challenge. I was looking for a challenge along the lines of "send a Kerbal to the Mun and back with fewest parts" but this one is "lightest ship."

Would a challenge involving lowest part count be significantly different from this challenge to be worth doing it? Or has it been done already?

• 11 months later...

Even though this is comparatively ancient can I try? I'd like to take a shot at a mini Gilly lander.

Questions-

Does "building purposes only" mean that I can't use vessel info? (I'm assuming you can use it, and that the prohibition extends to autopilots.)

If I do a Jebediah's Bicycle style craft where I use a capsule to supply a Kerbal for a command seat, you only count the mass that leaves the pad, right?

Edited by GigaG

A bit back I went to the Mun using a jet and ionic propulsion for under two tons (1969kg) including the Kerbal:

- - - Updated - - -

This is a very interesting challenge. I was looking for a challenge along the lines of "send a Kerbal to the Mun and back with fewest parts" but this one is "lightest ship."

Would a challenge involving lowest part count be significantly different from this challenge to be worth doing it? Or has it been done already?

Well... Scott did Minmus and back with 3 parts, and in response I did the Mun and Back with 3 parts... and I don't think that's even theoretically beatable.

• 3 weeks later...
For this challenge you're going to make a craft that is capable of launching from Kerbin, landing on any of the four moons below, and returning to Kerbin with one Kerbal on board. The challenge is to make it as small as possible.

Moons you can go to:

-Mun

-Minmus

-Gilly

-Ike

RULES

• The craft must use only stock parts. Mechjeb or Engineer Redux is allowed for building purposes only, as well as other mods that are simply plugins.
  • Part clipping is allowed.
  • You must get the Kerbal back to Kerbin. If the rest of the craft is destroyed, that's fine - as long the Kerbal survives.
  • You are allowed to "get out and push" your vessel back home if you run out of fuel.

To submit your craft, just post below with a link to a .craft file and picture proof that you actually got it to the moon (show it launching, in space, burning for the target, landing, etc.). One of the screenshots must show a readout from Mechjeb/Engineer showing the entire craft's weight, including any stages you used to bring it into orbit (not including launch clamps). If you could write a bit about your craft, too, that would be great.

That's it! Hope you have fun doing this challenge.

Hey everyone.

Been away from the game for a bit.. But got back into it by introducing another friend of mine to the game. Watching him play & learn I saw him starting to do the same thing we all have done. BUILD IT BIGGER!!!!!!! I wanted to show him the fun of.. 'how low can you go..' so I issued him a challenge.

Build the lightest craft possible to take 1 ( or more ) Kerbals from Kerbin to the Mun and return him/them/it safely back to Kerbin.

Rules:

Only stock parts.

Craft must transport 1 Kerbin (alive) from Kerbal to the mum & back.

Kerbal & landing stage must land safely somewhere in the area between the VAB & Launch Pad.

Computer/navigational aids ( MechJeb etc ) are permitted.

Clipping & other in game oddities are permitted.

Cheat codes ( unlimited fuel, etc ) are NOT permitted.

Lowest weight craft wins.. Weight includes EVERYTHING you take out to the launch pad with you.. If it launches or not.

My rules were a little more restrictive. Since they included everything on the pad & a designated landing area. But otherwise pretty much the same.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread.. More like trying to revive it.. I think I have a craft that will win the #1 spot.. If Andrew would like to dig this old thread up..

So.. Would anyone like to see what I came up with? What can you come up with?

"Mach 2 travel feels no different." a passenger commented on an early Concorde flight. "Yes," Sir George replied. "That was the difficult bit."

- Sir George Edwards, co-director of Concorde development

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.