Can't get things to connect in the VAB

I've been fighting with the interface quite a bit lately. I want to build things, but nothing seems to attach properly. For example, I'd like to use some structural panels, but they won't connect to each other in any helpful way. I see that they have the green connect ball, but I can't attach them to each other by edges, and the ball itself doesn't seem to want to connect to anything other than a radial part (like a tank or engine). I've also noticed the "no no, I won't go" issue when using angle and symmetry modes. Sometimes turning off angle snap helps, but it seems to be mostly hit and miss. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by Rabid_Monkey
Answered

the ball itself doesn't seem to want to connect to anything other than a radial part

First, rotate (WASDQE) the structural panel so it is perpendicular to the direction in which you want to attach it. For instance when mounting it on top of a fuel tank, it must be rotated so it is flat with regards to the tank's top surface.

Second, rotate your view so your mouse is not pointing at any surface of the ship. The attach point you're using needs to be sticking out of the body of the ship.

Then hover your mouse around that attach point. At correct position the panel will stick to it. Notice the panel has two attach points (one on each surface) and you need to use the right one or your panel will clip inside the part you're attaching it to.

but I can't attach them to each other by edges

While holding the new panel on your mouse, zoom in on the panel you want to attach it to and point on the edge of the target panel. You need to point to the few pixels of its width to place another panel there.

While holding the new panel on your mouse, zoom in on the panel you want to attach it to and point on the edge of the target panel. You need to point to the few pixels of its width to place another panel there.

Ah! That helped quite a bit, thanks Kasuha. I also figured out you can rotate the entire craft while you're working on it with WASD, which helped a lot with the specific issue I was having.

For those of you who replied, I'm building a probe ship to carry 5 probes to Minmus for some juicy science. I have them rigged so one the ship is in orbit, I can drop them off one at a time when I see someplace that looks interesting. I leave the "top" one attached for control and the other four are splayed around it perpendicularly. Once the last one leaves I start to de-orbit the remains of the "mothership" so it will crash at some point. Onward to Minmus!

Ah! That helped quite a bit, thanks Kasuha. I also figured out you can rotate the entire craft while you're working on it with WASD, which helped a lot with the specific issue I was having.

For those of you who replied, I'm building a probe ship to carry 5 probes to Minmus for some juicy science. I have them rigged so one the ship is in orbit, I can drop them off one at a time when I see someplace that looks interesting. I leave the "top" one attached for control and the other four are splayed around it perpendicularly. Once the last one leaves I start to de-orbit the remains of the "mothership" so it will crash at some point. Onward to Minmus!

This plan would also be useful for the Mun, just land a probe in each crater.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.