Interview with Jeb - first Kerbal in orbit around Mun

iMAniaC

I started playing KSP roughly a week ago. I started out as a total newbie and jumped into Career mode with close to zero research. This is kind of how it went, presented as an interview with Jeb.

We're here with a Kerbal who does not need introduction; he is the only Kerbal that has ever been in space; Jebediah Kerman! (Accompanied by a KSC PR Liaison). So, Jeb, you recently orbited Mun, and can you tell us, what is the first step in achieving that?

Jeb: Well, first, you have to get into an orbit around Kerbin and then, when Mun is approximately at 45° of your target apoapsis, you gun the throttle and hope--

Wait, wait, hang on. You're saying you went to Mun with only a vague idea of how to do it?

Jeb: Pretty much.

PR Liaison: What Jeb is trying to say is that he knew exactly what he was doing.

This isn't the first time you have flown without using all the instruments available to you, though, is it?

Jeb: That's correct. All of the launches until we finally made a stable orbit were made without the use of SAS.

Why is that?

Jeb: No one told me that the [Command Pod] Mk 1 had SAS, so I--

PR Liaison: Jeb can assure everyone that he knows all the rockets inside out and his decision to forego the use of SAS in those crucial first flights was a completely conscious one.

Jeb: But I've used the SAS ever since I found ou--

PR Liaison: Ever since that was the most productive thing to do, yes.

Jeb: And now that I know about--

PR Liaison: - has decided to use -

Jeb: --the flight planner, it's going to be a vital part of every future mission.

Okay. But anyway, you set a course to Mun without a flight planner. Was the lack of a flight planner connected to those several flights out to Mun's orbit which did not actually orbit Mun?

Jeb: Yes.

PR Liaison: No.

Jeb: I simply mis--

PR Liaison: Those were planned flights to check out Mun's orbit without Mun actually interfering with the orbit itself.

I see... Well, when you finally got into orbit around Mun, what was the first thing you did?

Jeb: First, I sent back the test results from the [sC9000] Science [Jr.] Bay from high Mun orbit and collected data from the [Mystery] Goo [Containment Unit] canisters which would return with me to Kerbin. Then I waited until I would reach the periapsis so that I could slow down and get to an orbit around Mun. Then, while in low orbit, I collected data of the Science Bay and Goo canisters again, in order to take them back with me to Kerbin.

What did you think about Mun, seeing it up close?

Jeb: It's not just a huge rock, it's beautiful. It's the reason we're out there.

And then you just headed back home with a mission well done?

Jeb: Well, almost. At some point my orbit had become skewed relative to the equator, so I had to use some thrust to get back to the right plane. This was also the point at which I realised that I was dangerously low on fuel.

PR Liaison: Plannedly low on fuel, yes.

But you recovered and established a perfect path back to Kerbin, I take it?

Jeb: Actually, since I was so low on fuel, I decided to swing by Kerbin and thrust when I was in that orbit's apoapsis.

Smart move. So you entered an elongated orbit around Kerbin first?

Jeb: Yes. ... And no. It wasn't a complete orbit, because it was so elongated that it would actually cross Mun's gravitational pull again and slingshot me out into space unless I did some corrections before that.

PR Liaison: As planned. As planned.

Jeb: Luckily, --

PR Liaison: - Plannedly -

Jeb: -- the apoapsis came up before Mun so it would never get to that point.

You said you were low on fuel. Were you ever concerned that you wouldn't have enough fuel to avoid the encounter with Mun and get thrown into space?

Jeb: ...

PR Liaison: Jeb isn't going to dignify that question with an answer. He has complete confidence in the fuel calculations of our people on the ground.

Jeb: Erm... Yes. Well, anyway, there was enough fuel and I made it back into Kerbin's atmosphere, landing in the sea a short distance from the shore.

That sounded like a very intense experience. What was your thoughts when the command module broke the surface of the water? Did you let out a sigh of relief?

Jeb: Actually, at that exact moment, I heard the science module with its Goo containers break off from the command module, so all the scientific results I was taking back were gone... So I'm taking off again tomorrow in a slightly more sturdy rocket.

PR Liaison: According to schedule. This was all planned.

There you have it folks, Jebediah Kerman! Not only the first Kerbal to go into orbit around Mun, but also the first planning to do it twice!

Edited by iMAniaC
Fixed apoapsis -> periapsis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.