The continuing adventures (and misadventures) of a KSP Rookie *Pic Heavy*

ClearlySane88

Phew! A lot has been going on since my last thread. A lot of success, as well as a few failures (including a really big one) and a lot of pictures to go with both.

So, I decided to restart my career mode to try and fix some mistakes I made with my research. Once again, I found myself doing a couple of short flights to gather EVA, Crew Reports and Samples from Kerbin's different biomes. Scott Manly and Operation DX on Youtube have been a boon for me, especially where rocket design is concerned. Thus the Garrett MK series of Rockets were introduced.

I started out very basic, just a solid rocket booster, command capsule and parachute. This was simply to get me up into the air for a Crew Report, ETA Report and Sample from a different Biome (landed in the ocean). After a few more flights from the next series of rockets (using two fuel tanks and an LV-35 rocket engine), mainly to the Highlands and a quick attempt at the mountains which unfortunately failed (the capsule rolled over and blocked the door, not allowing me to get out and collect the samples). I decided to start trying to orbit, adding a second stage to the rocket design. I was easily able to get into orbit on my first try and actually managed to land near the mountains where my Kerbal was able to gather samples. I did one more two stage rocket flight, only I wasn't aiming to get into orbit. I decided I needed one more biome and decided to try and get one from the Ice Caps. This gave me enough Science to get into both the Fuel Systems tech option and the Electricity options on the Tech Tree. I still need a lot more science, however, and I wasn't confident enough to try and send my Kerbals to the Mun, so I decided to turn my attention to satellites to make sure I could get to the Mun safely.

1AD8C166056DF253A7DF1CB7FC1ED209510F6F07

My first ever mission, to collect an EVA/Crew Report from the launchpad as well as samples, trying to get as much Science as I could. I also planted a flag, commemorating my new launch center, Ludvig Launch Center!

AB355FCF607178E6D477A4F55DEC906C128456E6

My first mission that actually reached space. Just a basic rocket design, no stages.

D9D8F10274E215D9D5FAD7B739500959885D340E

My Kerbal takes a swim after a successful mission.

8F99D82B6614CB2F25DA057BA2156F859C9391DE

Coming down from an orbit, trying to land on the mountains.

8DAEAD88B9F5D7447E2A5EA7CACE86ACEF6BD57B

Managed to land on the mountains, but the capsule rolled on it's side blocking me from getting out and gathering the samples.

53A9CEB67CE4A32315D72E0D13C09AADAD366418

The sun rises over the horizon as Jebediah prepares for a retrograde burn to reenter the atmosphere.

6A99D1C3BB524B4C24737B167A5DCE9059B8708E

Too terrified to take the chance with a jetpack after some disastrous results on my last career mode, I just have Jebediah get out long enough to generate an EVA report and then it's straight back into the capsule.

I'll have more picks and updates later.

Okay, time for an update!

To The Mun, Alice!

So, I thought I would move to some satellites before attempting anything much bigger. The first satellite went up and into an orbit around Kirbin with all most no problems what so ever, besides it pitiful battery supply but even then it was able to get some science back to me before going dark. Bolstered by the fact that I could actually manage to get a satellite into orbit, I decided that I would next try and get one to the Mun. Plastering a few batteries on the command module, I launched rather quickly. While on my way to intercept the Mun, however I ended up running out of energy and the craft was lost in orbit around the Sun, about halfway between Kirbin and . I then decided to do one or two Science gathering missions to unlock the Electricity portion of the tech tree, which would help. Adding solar panels and replacing the inefficient batteries with a rechargeable one, I launched once more. I easily made it to the Mun and was about to start my burn to bring myself into orbit, however I ran out fuel this time and, once again, my satellite was lost to the reaches of space. Unsure of why I was running out of fuel, I went looking for a few tutorials and found a rocket design that should work. I quickly put it to use and launched another satellite into orbit. This time, the craft was easily able to reach the Mun and I even managed to land the thing, though there was a small explosion from coming in a little too hard. Ecstatic, I quickly begin to open the door's to my goo and Science capsules only to realize that I forgot to attach a radio antenna to the satellite! Once again, my pod was dead in Space, and this time not do to lack of technology but my own stupidity. Finally, I was able to get a satellite to the Mun with no problems. I landed in a deep crater on the Mun. The probe started to slide down the side of the crater and, hoping to correct this, I decided to use the last little bit of my fuel to hop to the center of the crater. Unfortunately, I came in a little to hard and there was another small explosion (though luckily nothing important was damaged). I quickly begin to send back a ton of Science to Kirbin. I was now confident that I could get a Kerbal to the Mun and back safely, after all both pods seemed to have plenty of fuel left before their little accident and I thought it would be enough to get the little guy home. I quickly created a lander for my needs and launched Jebediah into space. He landed on the Mun easy enough, with no explosions at all this time, and gathered samples from inside Midgar Crater. I planted my flag, jetpacked up to the Command Module (I had forgotten to add a ladder for this design) and took off. I had just finished stabilizing my orbit when the rocket went dead, I was out of fuel. Jebediah is now floating around the Mun and there isn't much I can do for him at the moment. I don't want to send another team after him, as I'm afraid they may end up getting stuck too and I'm not sure it it was my rocket design that got him stuck or I made an error with one of my burns to get into orbit/too the Mun.

7F2674C355464D3FB01EA6E04D209FF4E082C4E8

My first satellite in orbit, on the dark side of the planet, just before going dead from lack of electricity.

2818EE16E1AABE8E9E0420CCB1E883830455606A

My first probe to the Mun begins to make it's pass, preparing for a descent burn.

AB4D3756F5B51026E0746DFB38B4A8D406FBFCAA

My first probe after landing on the Mun! You have no idea how happy and excited I was once this thing touched down and how dumb I felt when I realized it had no radio equipment on it at all.

1F40B7C9A0962A756304CAE917723225389B6455

My second probe, a few minutes away from touchdown, with a nice view of the Sun coming over the horizon.

62038FEAA9057716A788B785A73F1032D6CFEC51

Touchdown! :D

559AD523BD3EE1023D2D9F56203C80DA1A07E691

Jebediah begins to slow down his aircraft, preparing to be the first Kerbal on the moon.

71EEDC628DEC3D4CE3E67B4CEAE27B92BC743C03

The great hero, first Kerbal on the Mun, stuck in space, awaiting rescue. Unfortunately, I have no idea when or how I'm going to be able to get to him and help him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.