New feature / maneouvre to set tidal locks on craft.

Hello,

I was just wondering if a new feature could be added in perhaps a future version of Kerbal that would allow micro rotational control over a vessel.

I actually searched for a "how to" because I wanted my geosynchronous sattelite tidally locked. But then found links, threads that told me it goes against game mechanics.

The main part of Kerbal that prevented it was that a simulation of a craft not under SAS or in a free rotation could not be switched or simulation speed could not be warped.

And in any other way Kerbal doesn't simulate the gravity and tidal force on a spacecraft. The craft itself simply isn't part of the spacematter in kerbal.

And for those reasons it can't be done in 0.22. Now all my crafts in orbit are locked at a fixed position in space. This might look completely normal and expected to a space telescope but it's not what most sattelites are about.

So theirfore the suggestion that if their ever comes a 0.3 or 0.4 or 1.0v of Kerbal space flight simulator. Could the mechanics of this sim be changed, overhauled (euhm whatever necessary) so that one would have the ability to tidal lock their own craft. Obviously with a necessary maneouvre node and capable thrust micro management apparatus to get it done.

Almost all real world sattelites are tidally locked to the surface that they orbit. Because for the plain and obvious reason that those antennas, cameras [fill in] have to be pointed to the surface where things are received.

It would be ironic if this feature had no future of implementation. And I'm sure something like this is on the drawing board. I'm just reminding the devs that it is a very likely new addition and I'm just curious if you to would also like this option implemented.

Well, at first I thought you were talking about a feature I wanted for a long time in regards to space planes and SAS in orbit to have the option to lock them to a height relative to the surface of the planet and not just a fixed direction. This though, does have an arguable point though.

Firstly, your point being right that a satellite locks directionally to the surface, aka tidal locked. This point is perfectly understandable and should be considered, especially if communication arrays become necessary with things like research and probe controlling and the like.

However, with how the game works, it's currently difficult, if not impossible, for the rail logic to accomplish. It doesn't sound difficult in theory, since you'd guess to just use the rail mechanics to respect the rotation of the object while in orbit, and the change would simply mean a few numbers were adjusted before physics took over at a later period. But I'm not a developer, and I don't even know if my assumption holds any ground.

It's really just one of the little tidbits that remind us that this game isn't a perfect space simulator. A fun one, of course, but this issue doesn't create conflicts to the game itself at this point, it's just borderline depressing to think about. It'd make no difference in the game currently, it'd just be more pleasant to know if you ever needed to go to your satellite, that'd you'd find it facing the surface and not spying through your neighbor's window on laythe somewhere.

Now, if it were something like what I proposed, where SAS could be activated to respect the current prograde line, or lock to an altitude in atmo. I could actually see it being useful for more than just background knowledge. keeping a space plane at a specific height while it speeds up for an orbital escape can be hard to do with an occasional tap on the control surfaces. While letting the SAS make more accurate and precise adjustments would prove a bit more convenient. It's a small feature, but it could have it's use in real time gameplay, and not just with the rail logic.

KSP is not a simulation, but a game

Game, simulator or w/e. Assuming you could see KSP either way as a sim it's just a realistic addon. And as a game tidal locking would give the game new dimensions and a broader experience if you like to use such a feature. Btw, I hate to break it to you. But even although KSP doesn't highlight it on the website or on matrix signs out in the streets the word simulation has a very exact definition. KSP simulates a miniature solar system with certain physics (tidal locking left out perhaps)

So it is a simulator. A gravity simulator to be exact. "Game" is just how most may call it, possibly how the devs will concerning they don't mention the word Simulation. But you also can't change the definition of the word "simulation" either.

Furthermore I find it sad to hear again about the many implications that is preventing to enable controlled tidal lock.

I hope the request got through to the devs anyway and I hope it's not a to unworthy addon in relation to the effort of implementation in a new kerbal version.

Edited by Razorforce7

KSP is not a simulation, but a game

I feel KSP is both. Truck driving simulator is both sim. and game. In fact most games simulate something, even if it's just simulating being a soldier and shooting baddies. Soldier sim doesn't sound as **** as Call Of Duty though does it.

I think that warp system could be made to simulate unpowered rotation at a fixed rate. That's not hard. Any sort of powered stationkeeping is hard, because it drains resources, and as resources are consumed, the ship becomes lighter, requiring physics calculation to work out it's fuel use and rotation speed. It'd also get rid of "warp to killrot" cheat.

Edited by Guest

Heh, so it did. Wonder who put that one in there... but it probably was with decent reason. Oi! No filter evadin', you 'ear me?! *grumble grumble grumble*

Anyway, I feel like you could calculate the amount of torque and electric charge needed to maintain a certain orientation relative to the surface of the thing you're orbiting, and if they meet the requirements you could hold a heading perhaps... Dunno how, myself, but it might be possible.

maybe add a left click control module "lock relative to surface" button. prerequsites would be something with a charge and maybe sas module. then dont worry about tracking, but load it into the world pointing the direction it was should be. i dont know about coding, but heres how i see it possible: (relative to planet) a craft pointing at 3 o'clock at the planets 12, would be pointing to 6 o'clock at the planets 3 o'clock and so on. you could calculate that for any time. add a third dimension for 3d positioning and youve got it. i dont mean to sound as though coding is easy, but thats one way i think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.