Highest speed..... at low altitude!

The challenge is simple, acquire the highest speed at low altitude.

The following rules apply:

1. Must be jet powered only! The craft may not use any oxidizer, monopropellant, or Xenon.

2. Must take off horizontally from the runway (need not retain landing gear for the duration of the flight)

3. Screenshots! Must have screenshots of:

-a. Your craft on the runway (preferrably moving).

-b. Your craft in flight.

-c. Your craft's Flight Log (can be accessed by pressing F3) This is neccessary, as top speed will be measured by Highest Speed Over Land

--c1. For clarification, no, you are not allowed to jump out of your craft then take the flightlog screenshot.

-d. The resources tab must be open at all times, as proof of appropriate fuel usage.

-e. Any staging events that happen, such as drop-tanks, launch stages, wheel drops, etcetera.

4. Use of the dev console, particularly for part clipping, is exploitative and will be considered cheating for the purposes of this challenge.

5. This is primarily a stock challenge, so only stock parts are allowed, along with no other mods being installed. This means that CFG modding will earn you a permanent ban from the challenge.

6. No use of infiniglide, please. If you need more control, please use reaction wheels. (this doesn't mean no control surfaces, though.)

7. Keep under 500m, as this is the goal of this challenge.

Exceptions are as such:

-a. Subassembly Loader, as it does not interfere with craft capability, only ease of construction.

-b. Mechjeb, for Mechjeb category entries.

-c. Ferram Aerospace Research, but you must specify if you use it, as there will be a special accolade for users of that mod!

-d. Kerbal Engineer Redux, as it only provides readouts, though use of this will disqualify from being stock.

(Rules taken from maching bird challenge, if TheHengeProphet would like this removed, just tell me.)

Entries:

Stock

1. epursimuove @301 m/s

FAR

1. XXjetterXX - MagentMobile @ 500 m/s, images here: http://imgur.com/GsK44wt

Modded

Edited by xxjetterxx

Can I pleeeeaaaaaseee use my pwings?

Actually never mind, I didn't really need them.

589C406DB652EFA06A5C187FFA69D479F1D110C1

AC5988C7C5D11F7547926CEAF8ABBC5FF2CB54B9

Excuse the low quality mach effects-- they make my joystick lag so I turned them down.

32F36125584F06E01EF393B887BDA1BD9563DA90

And here's the proof.

396ECA0C70D46B10CEFBAFE4A7A7C69437CC805D

That was fun! Made 571 m/s, with FAR. I have several other mods installed, but they didn't really apply to this.

It's tough trying to balance adding drag with keeping the craft stable. I've got a hunch that drag matters far more than mass; I bet if I added a little more ballast to the nose that would let me either shorten the craft or use fewer/smaller control surfaces (maybe even ditch the vertical stab altogether) and get a little faster.

It's a good challenge, thanks jetter! I love how completely opposite this one is from the last challenge I entered-- started both with 150 units of fuel; in one I burned it in 2 minutes, in the other I made it around kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.