Erm, how screwed am I?

syfyguy64

I have seen this before on my career (Not career mode i mean that i have done that too).

Decrease the speed at 15km-10km then do your best on EVA and try to land.

i had done that whit Bill, it started when a badly made MP engine powered lander failed to maneuver to land (Not enought Monopropellant)

DISCLAIMER:

RESULTS MAY VARY FROM LANDER DESIGN, VERTICAL SPEED, FUEL, WEIGHT OR ISP SO WE DONT THINK IT WILL ALWAYS WORK.

Edited by Zaryulenko
Disclaimer now 100% more caps lock

Assuming that you want to land, even without a good pic of the ship, I'd say no... And judging by the nav ball you appear to be hurdling straight down to Jeb's doom... Maybe try burning off to the side and try to fly by instead, but you may be going a bit too fast.

No, it does not look possible to land but I suggest that you use a delta-v calculator to find out how much delta-v your ship has and if it is less than ~1,000 m/s you will not be able to save the ship. (I am just guessing what you ship will be traveling at when it gets closer to the ground)

If you act fast... before .23 comes out then yes you can save it. Why, you ask?

Well you'll burn away from the Mun... then you'll run out of fuel... Then you can tap into the limitless jet pack fuel your Kerbal has by getting out an pushing. You'll need to go back into the capsule to refill the jet pack from the limitless supply stored within.

Come .23 and that supply won't be limitless anymore.

I rebuild your ship and burned off the right amount of fuel. You have 270m/s fuel left in the ship and Jeb has another 600m/s in his EVA pack. You have two options:

You can either try to land or you can try to bring Jeb into an orbit around the Mun with his EVA pack. Landing is dangerous. Bringing Jeb into an orbit around the Mun is the better choice. burn your engine prograde until you run out of fuel and then get Jeb in orbit on Eva fuel. You can just aim for the milky way. Then send Bob or Bill in a another ship to pick Jeb up. Good luck!

Or...

Take a glass of whisky. Grab your mic, sitting, alone, in the main control room of KSC.

Make the connection with Major Jebediah.

"Ground Control to Major Jeb

Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong"

[Chatterer]

Jeb: "Here am I sitting in a tin can

Far above the Moon

Planet Kerbin is blue

And there's nothing I can do."

Over.

Don't forget, then, to honor his memory.

Had to do something similar a few days ago. Managed to land, but had not enough fuel to get back home. I managed to get back to Munar Orbit, and sent a probe-run Rescue craft. I lost all the science (cos I forgot to attache an antenna on the munar lander) but it's how i learned to do a rendezvous. So something came of it.

That's the best idea.

Well, the best idea without cheating. With cheating, just turn off joint separation and crash damage. Hit Mun, and bounce back up into orbit.

But honestly, yeah, try a lateral burn to get into a really eccentric orbit. Or in other words, try to fly by throwing yourself at the ground and missing (hopefully). Given your velocity (750m/s versus orbit) I don't think you'll be able to pull it off with the little bit of delta-V you have left, but you might as well try.

Beyond that, just go for damage control. Those landing legs can't absorb much of a shock, but they might absorb just enough to make the capsule survive the crash. Stranger things have happened; someone once landed Jeb safely on Kerbin using only his EVA pack, just because they hit the ground and just the right angle or something.

Yep, burn the hell outta that lander, and then use the jet-pack to soften it. When impacting, make his head hit first. (He can survive 100m/s that way)

I think that's outdated info since 0.21. Someone correct if I am wrong. Even falling tall rockets tip on kerbin kills.

Annnnnnddddd THIS is why suicide burns are a bad way of landing. Try to set up a nice circular orbit and then come in nice and horizontal. Kill the horizontal speed and then drop slowly to the surface. You get to pick where you land then as well with the maneuver nodes. Scan for anomalies or kethane deposits and land next to them or just try to land next to a crater.

But yeah, suicide burns use more delta v...I think, than a nice circular orbit followed by a little landing burn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.