My first duo-intercontinental turbojet flight run between time zones

Turbojet

It has been done...

With 4 engines... Running with one 800 fuel tank and 4 B9 D-30F7 Turbojets.

So here is the back story:

I was testing the limits of the B9 Jet engines, specifically the Turbofan and Turbojets. These engines are notably more efficient than the vanilla ones. First, they burn the same amount of fuel slower. Time trial, one fuel tank:

Vanilla Jet(1): 12 Min (no warp)*

B9 Jet(2): 21 Min (no warp)*

(*trial commenced on an average of 10000 feet)

If you go lower, the Fuel consumption rises, inevitably because humidity can produce a "steamy" affect in a jet propelled engine, noted on turbojet 1 and 2.

If you go higher, the oxygen count lowers(making the effect of a constant jet stream impossible), rendering altitudes of 40,000-50,000 very hard to reach without rocket assistance or air compressors.

Best performance will be around 10,000 to 30,000 feet, but getting through the humid troposphere can consume a lot of fuel, so bear in mind if you are planning any long term flights.

~

Enough science, more news.

So this hype is because I used 4 Jet engines to circle Kerbin twice, on one fuel tank per engine. (With the help of a radial, advanced aerodynamics and expert made air compressors).

The flight was commenced on a very uneventful 1 hour and 34 minute flight period. The Flight log was really only rumbled by an Engine-3 overheat 40 min into the flight.

Airframe was light and primitive B9 S2 fuselage with a S3 Hyp. Module and heavy duty wings.

Only extra components were nav lights, a thermometer and a transmitter.

But I managed a landing at home KSP with no fuel to spare. I glided 1 km to the airfield, set her down.

~

Comment down below for tips/suggestions on this.

VChNpSq.png

Edited by Turbojet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.