KerbalCon feature-complete talk - Can you please turn this into a blog post/article?

chaos_forge

Okay, I have a slight rant here.

Back when they were getting started on 0.18, if I remember correctly, "resources system" was used to refer to the system by which the rocket carried specific resources in each part, IE liquid fuel and oxidizer in fuel tanks, monopropellant instead of generic RCS fuel, intake air, Xenon gas for ion engines, and electric charge, as well as the ability for modders to add their own (the infinite possibilities of which we have yet to see the end of)

Then, whenever 0.19 was being talked about, and before they decided to make smaller updates more often (the consensus on which appears to be that it didn't work), they showed off this cool system for mining stuff on all the planets (In Situ Resource Utilization, or ISRU) and we've been calling it the "resources system" ever since.

Now, the problem here is that the two paragraphs above describe two distinctly different ideas, but we seem to be using the same name for both ideas.

Therefore, it is my considered opinion that only the first should be referred to the "resource system", and the second should be referred to as the "ISRU system"

That is all, thank you and have a nice arbitrary time reference.

Funny thing is, though, that whenever someone says resource system, we immediately know that he is referring to ISRU, not Fuel, oxidizer, RCS, etc. When ever we talk about those things, we call them fuel, oxidizer, and rcs fuel, not the resource system, and up to now, there has never been any misunderstandings between anyone on these separate subjects, which never shared the same name.

As far as I know, fuel, o2, rcs, an xenon were collectively called fuel, and we referenced electricity to charge or electric charge.

I'll throw my hat into the "simple resource system" group. The reason I enjoy the Kethane and Extraplanetary Launchpad mods so much is because they are completely voluntary and just add to the options available. If I want to ship fuel to my orbital Minmus refueling base from Kerbin, that's fine. Or I can mine Kethane, convert it, and refuel it right from Minmus. If I want to launch a massive interplanetary ship from Kerbin, or assemble one in Kerbin orbit, that's fine. Or I can mine ore on the Mun and create a massive ship in Mun orbit. These mods only add complexity to the game if you want it.

What I would not want is to have mining operations on Kerbin, just to supply my rockets in the VAB with fuel. That is a level of micromanagement that I believe the game can do without, and which I believe Squad was planning and (thankfully, in my opinion) discarded.

I'll throw my hat into the "simple resource system" group...and which I believe Squad was planning and (thankfully, in my opinion) discarded.

I agree. Those are the only 2 mods that I have ever installed and unfortunately the "Extra-planetary Launchpads" was still so new it had bugs and I never went back to it :(. That was a long time ago though.

Oops, I lied, I have installed the mod that gives you more angles and more symmetry for your parts. (If someone could name this I'd appreciate it :P)

I agree. Those are the only 2 mods that I have ever installed and unfortunately the "Extra-planetary Launchpads" was still so new it had bugs and I never went back to it :(. That was a long time ago though.

Oops, I lied, I have installed the mod that gives you more angles and more symmetry for your parts. (If someone could name this I'd appreciate it :P)

Editor extensions! Great mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.