TALON's Simple & Reliable Spacecraft Collection [The Late Lunar New Year Update]

ssTALONps

Change Log

14/02/04

Late Lunar New Year Update!!!

Changes to ARX-6

- vertical stabilizer reconfigured for ease of mothership docking, slightly improved roll performance

- refuel ports moved forward

- fuel/oxdizer capacity increased to 810/946, on-orbit dV increased to 550m/s

- fuselage layout changed, now more refuel-friendly

- Lodestar family added

14/01/06

New Year Update!!!

Changes to ARX-4 and ARX-6

- canard now has 5 degree of angle of incidence and repositioned for low speed maneuverability

Change to ARX-2

- propulsion scheme changed to 2x RAPIER engine and 1x LV-909

- Project Daedalus, NXT Series added

13/12/19

- added Starstreak CRV & Starchaser SDS

- revised thread layout

13/12/18

Common changes for ARX series SSTO

- brake disabled for nose gear

- nose gear steering now enabled

- each control surfaces assigned to individual axis

- improved on-orbit dV mainly due to reduced amount of oxidizer

ARX-3 Vulture

- amount of oxidizer decreased from 2200 to 2156

- on-orbit dV increased from ~950m/s to ~1000m/s

ARX-4 Vanguard

- central jet engine removed

- changed rocket engine ignition altitude from 12km to 10km

- changed jet engine shutdown altitude from 17km to 15km

- amount of monopropellant decreased from 750 to 375

- amount of oxidizer decreased from 6160 to 5984

- on-orbit dV increased from ~950m/s to ~1150m/s

ARX-5 Viper

- amount of oxidizer decreased from 1760 to 1716

- on-orbit dV increased from ~650m/s to ~700m/s

ARX-6 Volley

- amount of oxidizer decreased from 935 to 891

- on-orbit dV increased from ~400m/s to ~450m/s

13/12/14

- added ARX series SSTO

Edited by ssTALONps

As 0.23 is released, I immediately worked on ARX series SSTO to improve their performances.

Since they inevitably have to burn liquid fuel for their ascent, in 0.22 there was degrade in performance due to residual oxidizer.

Now with tweakables, they'll no more waste single drop of it with up to 20% more dV!!!

Also, Project Daedalus class cargo/exploration vessel is now in process of tweaking. Expect release within few days.

I hope you guys enjoy them!!!

I seriously would like to see the Starstreak CRV. What the heck is it? I doubt it's an SSTO.

It'll come in two versions. Starstreak Crew Return Vehicle with Dual Launch System, which launches two CRVs simultaneously (like 2x DG-IV with Energia booster, if you know what I mean), and Starchaser Self Delievery System, which is indeed a SSTO.

I originally intended to include CRV singular launch version (like X-37), however since there is no stock fairing and even the fairing itself won't stop asymmetric lift generation, it was scrapped.

Past version (0.18) had single launch version complete with launcher, but this time instead it will be released without launch vehicle.

They're in final adjustment stage, so expect release within few hours. :)

Sneak peek:

HcN7jGx.png

ARX Series SSTO

mOIiEB8.png?2

<From left to right: ARX-2 Valor, ARX-3 Vulture, ARX-4 Vanguard, ARX-5 Viper, ARX-6 Volley, Center: FV217 GPT-L Tanker>

The ARX project started out as an ambitious project to design more realistic, reliable and most importantly, sustainable (compatible with future updates) SSTOs. Key design features include:

• No intake spam – This is just ridiculous…
  • No turbojet engine – I anticipated worst case scenario nerfing of turbojet rendering it obsolete.
  • Wings must have low AR – Taking structural integrity into consideration.
  • Vital components must be protected – For when reentry heat damage gets added.
  • 80x80km orbit insertion within 10 min. – Rapid orbital deployment for faster rendezvous.
  • Ground refuel capable – Total re-usability, you don't call something a SSTO when it can not be refueled after landing!
  • Reliability – Easy to fly and must have almost same dV after orbit insertion.

This unique design philosophy resulted in many interesting designs. Although I anticipated significant reduction in performance, they more than perform better than most turbojet base SSTOs.

All ARX series are equipped with drone command pod for shuttle mission.

Note that FV217 GPT-L tanker is compatible for ground refueling.

ARX-2 Valor

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Started out as a replacement for Aeris-4A, the Valor is the only one in the entire series to use turbojets.

As it's transitional design, I don't recommend it over other vessels of the series but it still performs good.

Currently, ARX-5 Viper completely replaced the Valor.

Note that inverted V-tail has been replaced with normal one.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~550m/s of dV left.

ARX-3 Vulture

One of the most successful SSTOs of all time, the Vulture is now back with proper SPH description and integrated ascent profile.

Even though it's relatively old design, it still lives to see its use as backbone of my SSTOconomy.

As single LV-T30 is insufficient for boost, it uses additional 4x 24-77s to aid initial rocket transition.

One interesting feature of the Vulture is Emergency Boost to Orbit mode, where you ignite LV-T30 on the ground and cut down roughly 1/3 time to orbit while sacrificing dV.

All-round performance will entertain you for a long time, I promise.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~1km/s of dV left.

ARX-4 Vanguard

Workhorse of the fleet, the Vanguard is essentially a flying brick when fully loaded (85t). Even empty mass itself surpasses other ARX series' MTOW.

That doesn't mean it's not capable of reaching orbit and landing safely, though.

In fact, it is the only one in the series to be simultaneously capable of carrying 4 Kerbals and conduct refuel mission.

Unlike other crafts, the Vanguard is primarily drone controlled vessel.

Initial ascent relies on brutal force of 6 basic jet engines and transition to 4x LV-T30s occurs at around 10~12km ASL.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~1150m/s of dV left.

ARX-5 Viper

Direct replacement of ARX-2 Valor (which itself was replacement for Aeries-4A), the Viper is lighter version of ARX-3 Vulture.

Instead of Vulture's multi-engine approach, the Viper uses single LV-T30 for orbital insertion, simplifying action groups.

Twin basic jet engine has enough TWR to push the Viper into vertical climb.

From aesthetical point of view, the Viper is my favorite with balanced performance.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~700m/s of dV left.

ARX-6 Volley

Smallest of all series, the Volley's primary mission is to serve as lightweight shuttle for Laythe cargo ships.

It is lighter(16t) than any of its brothers thus making it easier to transport to Laythe.

Make no mistake though, as it still performs equally even with smaller airframe.

Extremely short deployment time to orbit of the Volley also makes it ideal for emergency rescue mission combined with its small profile.

Its design is remarkably similar to ARX-5 Viper but this was unavoidable to balance CoL and CG.

An unique feature of the Volley is Engine Swap-ability; swap basic jet for turbo jet and you can achieve orbit with 2x dV but at the penalty of +50% time to orbit!!!

Turbo jet ascent profile is not included.

Note that as 6x 48-7S easily develop TWR over 2 as it burns, you might want to use Mechjeb's acceleration limiting function.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~750m/s of dV left with updated D version.

All in all, the ARX series SSTOs will get you where you want to go if used right.

If you want to quickly and easily build your SSTOconomy, ARX series will be your choice!

Edited by ssTALONps

Starstreak CRV & Starchaser SDS

Back in 0.18, when docking was first introduced to vanilla KSP, I became interested in implementing NASA's X-38 CRV and its lifting body design to KSP.

I thought its unique back-to-back docking style will allow parallel stacking in crowded space station and serve as return vehicle for crews. So the Starstreak Crew Return Vehicle was born.

The now retrofitted K-38B Starstreak CRV has many improvements over its predecessor.

By reducing RCS monopropellant to 1/2, I was able to mount an extra in-line docking port which will be helpful for docking and transportation with interplanetary motherships.

Instead of 4x 24-77, the new version now has 4x 48-7S for orbital maneuver. Revised RCS ports will provide all round translation/rotation performance.

Upper front wing plan now provides more easier refuel operations as entire afterbody fuel tanks is right click-able.

Unlike older version, this 0.23 release does not include single launch version. Only the CRV itself and signature Dual Launch System is included.

Single launch version will be replaced with Air Launch System TSTO which is in development.

As CRV requires separate launch vehicles, each launch will never make break-even with CRV's commercial value.

Also, statistically 2.4km/s of dV was way too overkill for LKO emergency escape situation.

The only logical decision will be to make the CRV a SSTO.

After few prototypes, the Starchaser Self Delivery System made debut.

Complying with ARX series design guideline, the Starchaser SDS sacrifices afterbody dock for a single stage to orbit performance.

As there was no way to make it SSTO without adding more fuel tanks, 8x FL-T100 are clipped inside wing structure to fill inner space.

6x 48-7S provide enough TWR and dV for SDS to reach 80x80km LKO with ~200m/s of dV to spare.

Although DLS can deploy two fully fueled CRVs into orbit, the Starchaser SDS has its own position and there will be demand for it.

Enjoy these wing clipped Delta Gliders of KSP.

*Note that few months ago, I became aware of 0.18 Starstreak's exact copy uploaded at Spaceport. Someone uploaded it and his own SSTOfied version.

I don't mind anyone sharing my design with other people or modifying (I'm actually glad about it), but please at least credit myself if you want to do that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Project Daedalus

I always consider functional simplicity over aesthetics. I'd rather have simple and reliable design then aesthetically pleasing but complex design.

Daedalus class super heavy mothership is direct antithesis to that.

Sporting a massive 22m in diameter, 229 parts, 48t heat shield and weighting at 343t after full refuel, the Daedalus is capable of reliably carrying 250t payload to Jool.

Crew quarters consist of 5x Hitchhiker and 2x MPL-LG-2. 2 perpendicular docking ports are for carrying SSTOs of various size.

4x 2.5m docking port is where you dock your payload.

Electricity is provided by RTG assembly at tail, with communication suites.

Launching this behemoth with full tanks is almost impossible given that already high part count (719 parts) even with almost empty tanks in uploaded version.

Using MechJeb is highly recommended for launching.

You'll have to perform intensive refuel operation after LKO insertion.

Once on orbit, however, things go quiet smoothly as most of the part is struts.

Refuel the Daedalus, dock all the payloads, and shoot for the Jool!!!

NXT Series

The NeXt generation Trainer Series is intended to replace obsolete Apprentice Series training vessels. It's intended for novice to intermediate players.

NXT-1

Designed after Jupiter SDLV, the NXT-1 is a basic LKO trainer.

It has enough dV for visiting Kerbin's two moons and balanced RCS ports for docking practice.

With Launch Escape System, you'll never have to worry about crew loss.

<Recommended try-outs>

- LKO insertion & deorbit method

- Docking

- Refueling

- Inter-Kerbin system transfer

NXT-2

A combination of Apollo and Constellation program, the NXT-2 is mainly intended for practicing landing on Mun and Minmus.

This craft will show advantages of orbiter + lander configuration over direct ascent method.

<Recommended try-outs>

- Landing on other celestial bodies

- Returning from satellites

NXT-3 and NXT GPL

The NXT-3 'Arrow' class medium mothership is final advancement in NXT series, intended for full-scale interplanetary mission.

Tractor configuration allows stabilized payload haul capability.

If you don't want to mess with many lander design, you can use NXT GPL general purpose lander.

<Recommended try-outs>

- Transferring to other celestial bodies

- Returning from other celestial bodies

- Using gravitational slingshot

Edited by ssTALONps

I must try your SSTOs with the new SAS control, because I was flying them lastly with the old system and it was kinda hard in atmo mode.

New SAS system definitely works better. While 'Flying Brick' won't get full benefit from SAS, rest of them handles well.

Edited by ssTALONps

Kinda like the ARX-2 Valor, I will take it for a spin.

A flew quite a lot with ARX-3, even took it to Laythe, armed it with rockets... Good times :)

EDIT: Is really why to switch from TurboJet and Aerospike in favor of RAPIER and LV-909?

Edited by Tada

Kinda like the ARX-2 Valor, I will take it for a spin.

A flew quite a lot with ARX-3, even took it to Laythe, armed it with rockets... Good times :)

EDIT: Is really why to switch from TurboJet and Aerospike in favor of RAPIER and LV-909?

There isn't really specific reason for that, just wanted to integrate RAPIER into the series.

Valor isn't part of the original series anyway.

Try Volley, it's great for Laythe transportation.

Volley flyes exactly the same as old single seater Sparrow with turbojets and LV-909 did - it even gets to orbit with same amount of fuel even sadly those small engine wouldn´t be that effective as LV-909 :) Low take-off and landing speeds are great especially for Laythe, terrain is there kinda bumpy. I still remember the hoorror of landing fully fueled ARX-3 (which is around 44t if my memory is correct) and with old SAS I slammed it down to hard many times. :D

I just did quick round to orbit and back to KSC under 44 minutes and it flyes really nice.

For use on motherships there is just une issue - the rudder may be too high, but it would propably think my Damkina class which I used as main mean of transport to Laythe :)

For use on motherships there is just une issue - the rudder may be too high, but it would propably think my Damkina class which I used as main mean of transport to Laythe :)

Enlarged rudder was necessary for stable yaw control. When parallel docking with motherships, just a single perpendicular Mk 1 fuselage before docking port is enough to make room for vertical stabilizer :)

I just took ARX-6 fully fueled in 100km Kerbin orbit do land on Duna and I got back into Duna orbit with around 60 units of liquid fuel :) Pretty amazing how capable this craft is!

EDIT: Fuel was enough for Ike orbit (had to finish burn with RCS).... Stilly pretty awesome!

Edited by Tada

• 4 weeks later...

Lodestar Family

fc4rriM.png

Have your wife suspected your secret affair and you want stealthy getaway?

Than Lodestar Family low-observable SSTOs are just for you!

There're 3 versions included in download:

Lodestar Low-observable Orbital Vehicle is baseline design.

Equipped with 2x RAPIER plus single LV-N, the Lodestar LOV is designed with low radar cross section in mind.

Primary missions are stealth orbital recon and clandestine VVIP transportation.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~1.5km/s of dV to spare.

Lodestar-I Rapid Response Recon uses ARX series style propulsion layout.

With orbital deployment time less than 8~9 minutes, this unarmed interceptor version is perfect for rapid recon operations.

Capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~600m/s of dV to spare.

Lodestar-M Prompt Global Strike. This militarized version is where things get serious...

No pilot, one purpose; TO WREAK HAVOC UPON YOUR ENEMY!

Armed with 2x KGM-2 Skylance kinetic guided munition, this version is capable of reaching 80x80km LKO with ~600m/s of dV to spare plus deadly payloads.

All Lodestar have pair of canards semi-clipped under linear docking port, but its control surfaces are locked tight to simulate true tail less aircraft.

Single ventral pin will provide some degree of yaw axis control, but if you feel guilty, you can remove it and Lodestar flies just well, although yaw control will be more difficult.

LV-N equipped versions have single FL-T400 clipped inside LV-N, but it does not contain any fuel and only serves as attach points and means of gauging fuel for refueling.

Note that rapid maneuver above 5G is dangerous; the Lodestar family is not designed with extreme maneuverability.

And finally, always fly with ASAS turned on!!!

Good luck on your mission.

Edited by ssTALONps

Back from all the tiredness of helping my relatives prepare load o' food for Lunar New Year's Day!!!

To celebrate the day, I completely redesigned ARX-6 Volley. Screenies will be updated asap.

Also added Lodestar stealth SSTOs. If you're telling me, "There's no point designing stealth SSTOs when you don't have radars!", than I have to reply that's the point :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.