Can't research the Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank.

Hi there,

I finally have gathered all the neccesary research points in career mode to unlock everything. However there is a special case item part namely the Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel tank. The orange spaceshuttle liquid fuel tank one.

This part is very special. It's the only part as I have found so far which you have to manually Research after you have spend the science points on unlocking it in the first place. You do so by right clicking and click "research" on it.

If you dont the item appears as "Part model requires an Entry purchase in R&D"

Where I assume R&D stands for research and development. Or your research depertment for short. This is thus what I already said I did. But the part remains greyed out at the launch assembly and continues showing the message that it requires Entry purchase in R&D.

When I then revert back to the research department the Rockomax 64 fuel tank has switched from a Unowned status to a owned status. But I can still right click it and research the thing. But the process repeats itself everytime when I find it still greyed out at the Launch assembly.

Another thing is that when I repeat the steps the ROckomax Jumbo-64 fuel tank duplicates itself in the R&D interface as you can see by this picture.

Click

I hope somebody can help me out with this.

EDIT: (OFFTOPIC Q)

Anybody care to explain why the Jumbo-64 tank is special in its purchasing steps in the career mode. And why it costs some sort of invisible money (as do all parts) while there isn't even a currency exchange going on in the game?

Edited by Razorforce7

If you have any mods installed that would be the first thing to blame and investigate. Cheating your way to a full tech tree might also be causing problems. I'm not able to reproduce the problem myself right now, though.

The currency thing is a stub for features not yet implemented. The idea is you'll eventually have budgets and resource constraints to consider when working in career mode. For now, though, you can ignore the "cost" since it's just a placeholder.

=Smidge=

@smidge204

Like I said to Skorpychan I do not mod. Atleast not yet.

So its complete Vanilla free of anything other then the base package.

I also don't cheat or have ever done so nor via using unlimited fuel actions by alt + F12.

I understand however that their are editable entries, files that can mend the issue. Anybody care to answer?

Yeah, I was typing that reply before you mentioned that.

The Jumbo 64 tank's data files can be found at

(install path)\GameData\Squad\Parts\FuelTank\fuelTank3-2\

If you open the "part.cfg" file in your favorite text editor, you can see the specifics. What you need to look for is if there are any other part.cfg files that have the line "TechRequired = veryHeavyRocketry" in them... any parts that have that line will be under that node in the tech tree.

AFAIK there can only be one part per folder, so you might have to search the whole (install path)\GameData\Squad\Parts\ directory tree.

You can also back up your save game data, nuke everything and reinstall just in case... (Nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.)

Speaking of savegames... if you look into the \saves\(save name) folder you'll find a persistence.sfs file. Open this in your favorite text editor and look for "id = veryHeavyRocketry" like this:

Tech
{
id = veryHeavyRocketry
state = Available
part = liquidEngine1-2
part = fuelTank3-2
}

If you have multiple listings of "fuelTank3-2" here that's an obvious problem and you can delete the extras. There should only be one Tech {} node with "fuelTank3-2" mentioned in it.

=Smidge=

@smidge204

It's solved. I nuked Kerbal from orbit with my thermonuclears, antimatter bombs and compressed it into a black hole. I then saved it to a new directory in the multiverse and everything is working again :sticktongue:

I did try to remove the "TechRequired = veryHeavyRocketry" lines. But there are alot of part.cfg files in the ksp directory. I did picked out the ones related to the 3-2 heavy rocket ones. But there was only one part.cfg file with that line in it.

My persistens.sfs file listed 6 lines with fuelTank 3-2. By removing them it did indeed removed the extra fuel tank notations in the tech tree. However the tank was still greyed out at the launch assembly and researching the tank again duplicated it just as it did earlier.

But none of that matters now. Somehow copying over the saves to a fresh copy did the trick and I can use the fuel tank without problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.