I couldn't even wait for the RAPIER engines

CalculusWarrior

I'm super pumped about 0.23 and the SABRE-esque engines. As such, I was planning to build a Skylon spacecraft when the update dropped, but I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I began making a rough prototype, powered by jet engines in order to test how such an unconventional design for an aircraft (I normally build planes with very long wings and shorter bodies) will fly.

0zZsEmnl.png

Things I've discovered:

• Those canards near the front are a godsend when it comes to managing pitch, but are really annoying when they attempt to manage yaw and roll as well. I'm grateful for 0.23's tweakables, so I can disable their function for those maneuvers.
  • Not sure if its the odd arrangement of control surfaces or just the body shape in general, but it is a nightmare to maneuver when trying to do anything other than pitch up/down.
  • I was also getting a 'phantom yaw'. Not sure if its the front canards playing shenanigans again...
  • Nice and stable at all sorts of speeds but like I said above, only when travelling in a straight line.
  • Having such a long body is very nice for landing and takeoff, but some of the connection points are weak, requiring quite a lot of struts.

sOvAXVHl.png

Since the RAPIERs aren't in the game yet, I had to make do with the standard turbojets (I heard that the RAPIERs are quite similar to those engines while in atmosphere, so they should make a decent placeholder).

Also, that large hole in the middle of the spacecraft is there on purpose; I intend on using this plane to carry cargo into orbit! I'm hoping to be able to fit 2.5m payloads in there, but only time (and the power of the RAPIER) will tell as to the performance of the spacecraft.

tCrCcQnl.png

What are your ship plans for 0.23?

Very similar to yours, actually. I'm also going to take a look and see if I can't get some sort of high-efficiency booster out of them for my rockets. Jet engine while in-atmosphere, and transitioning to traditional rocket booster once they get too high. I can't wait to see if I can't drop short-stack boosters at 40 or 50 kilometers up. ^_^

As for the wobbly-ness, I'd suggest looking up Ferram's joint reinforcement... but that gaping hole in its back is always going to be a problem. Have you considered strapping it piggyback onto it, or lowering the landing gear and having it slung underneath?

I decided to try my hand at SSTOs and planes also while I waited.

-cut-

(talking to plane) Who's a fat little chicken! Who's a fat little chicken! You are!

Nice lol does that thing fly? :P

EDIT: Hehe question ninjanswered :D

I am planning to build my first SSTO that can lift 10 tons to orbit. I've already run out of space for another pair of rocket engines so RAPIERs will definetely help :D

Having such a long body is very nice for landing and takeoff, but some of the connection points are weak, requiring quite a lot of struts.

I would call it "relatively short" :)

wdFnC.jpg

[*]I was also getting a 'phantom yaw'. Not sure if its the front canards playing shenanigans again...

Probably not useful information: One of the "secrets" of Gripen's canards is that the hinge line is not at 90 deg but raked back, because otherwise it would have trouble flying. Shows that some aerodynamic tweaks aren't very obvious even though they can be very important.

I actually have a plan in mind. " I wonder haw far I can get a mk1 jet fuel tank and two long 1.25 m tanks with two sabers and an atomic ~_• hmmm

Pretty much my plan, except I'm just going to use a saber, a mk1 jet fuel tank, the equivalent FL tank, a kerbal seat, an rtg ,and a sas module.

And maybe some wings, if I'm feeling generous.

I made my first attempt at a SSTO last night, I called it the Tadpole MK1. It flies nicely and I do not get burnout until 25km-ish I can get into a 100km orbit over Kerbin with enough fuel (well oxidizer to get back into the atmosphere) and then have to fuel the jet fuel tank for the jets. I cannot land for crap though....may have to work on that. Mechjeb is on it only to get some stats on it mostly so all my flying is by my hand, and it is not pretty to watch ;)

ionk.png

6fqq.png

y86h.png

bsgm.png

I actually just took these pictures, and I did make some changes to the original design, but not many. I am not sure if the RAPIER's will help me though but I am hoping.

I built this SR-81 Bluebird (Resemblances to any real aircraft are merely coincidental) yesterday.

screenshot257.png. It flies fairly stable but takes a lot of fuel to get up to speed before switching to rockets. Anyway, I like the idea of the Rapier engines, but does anyone know if they are realistic (could they actually be built?).

EDIT:Had the engine name wrong.

Edited by wolfedg

I have no clue what a RAPIER engine is. I know what a SABRE is but never heard of the RAPIER... when I here of it I think of the flimsy sword used in the later 17th century.

But SSTOs are easy.... I have only built a few.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And a couple without wings, that are lifting body designs.

Curious about RAPIER vs. B9 SABRE vs. Jets+LV-909s/Aerospikes vs. Jets+LV-Ts vs. Jets+LV-Ns vs. Jets+48-7s (mainsails and skippers are worthless other than for lowering part count, they have less Isp and TWR). Obviously, FAR would make a pretty substantial difference in which one works best, but I'm still interested either way.

Ironically, all are far INFERIOR to real SABRE engines in thrust and Isp.

A real SABRE has 3000 kN of thrust and an Isp of 3500 air, 460 vacuum. B9 SABRE has 390 Isp in space. A RAPIER has 360 in space. Sure, the LV-N has 800, but it has 1/50th the thrust of the SABRE.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.