Eve Reentry

As far as you guys can see, i love to go to Eve. Now i'm planning to enter another probe there to collect DAT SCIENCE... But i'm usin Deadly Reentry. I seriously am SCREWED, because it probably is impossible to land on Eve with DR... I need some suggestions, because i can't think about an effective and compact enough design to fit in my fairings... Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by O Nerd

Seing how the scale height on eve is greater, and orbital speeds are not that much higher, using a bigger heat shield should definitely suffice.

The important thing about reentry is to bleed off as much speed as possible before entering the denser atmosphere, so aim for a ~50km periapsis, and use a high-drag design (if you're using FAR, just use a BIG heatshield or otherwise big surface area (high ratio between mass and drag per dynamic pressure) and, as a bonus, design your ship so that it creates a little lift during entry. If you're in the stock game, you'll just have to hope for the best (but at least your ship won't suddendly turn and explode violently if you designed it aerodynamically unstable).

I have survived 6km/s entries at Kerbin with DRE, by attaching a 2.5m heatshield to a 600kg lander can.

Edited by mic_e

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.