The four fours.

Amram

Well then...~snip
Might as well right, I mean, you already did the work, lol.

And now for a bit less faith in humanity....

~snip~, its not worth repeating

If you didn't want to actually participate, why even post? The game isn't 'lets use google', its figure it out on your own. Maybe your not the first to just reference a list, you are definitely the most obvious about it.

If you can't be bothered to work it out yourself, please, don't post. I haven't referenced a list for any of my solutions. Don't believe it if you don't want to. I've no doubt some of my solutions can be found, a couple may even be common, you'll never find them all though.

My point is exactly what it seems to be, take some pride in figuring it out on your own. Pride in the power of your own mind. Too much to ask?

In doing this, i've learned a few things. I know im not alone in learning a bit, read the thread and see for yourself, its not all solutions. At least this thread has also served some purpose other than just a little entertainment for a few of us.

Go ahead, find a list with these on it:

72 = 4^√(!4) + 4 + 4

72 = !4^√4 - Γ(4) - √(!4)

74 = (!4)^(√4) - 4 - √(!4)

74 = 4^√(!4) + 4 / .4

...if only i'd had the foresight to have made this the five fours problem instead. That would have fixed that.

Edited by Amram

I'm just popping in to say -- you guys are nuts. I can't even figure this out anymore. Well. Done. Indeed. If you guys get up to a hundred or so, I'm gonna have to give you guys rep just for sheer mind-bending genius.

vexx32, lol, i noticed you hadn't offered one up in a while. Its an amusing little exercise in thinking way outside the box, because your doing things with fours that one normally just doesn't do.

I'll be honest, I don't really understand how Γ() works, I just know that Γ(4) is 6, and probably couldn't figure out !5 on my own, but I know that !4 is 9. Then seeing Chrisd857 show off a way to hit 1 with a single four, I got an idea, which lead to this:

1 = !(√4)
2 = √4
3 = √!4
4 = 4
5 = !4 - 4
6 = Γ(4)
7 = Γ(4) + !(√4)
8 = 4+4
9 = !4
10 = 4/.4

Thats a short sample. The idea was to do the same challenge, but using only two fours at most, and hit every number along the way that i could figure out. That way I have those to work with, and can use these to help me achieve other numbers. I've got 60 such pairs between 1 and 150, and another 27 spanning from 216 to 600. Im fairly confident that I could get up near 300.

As for Chrisd857, I imagine he'll have the last word at this rate, I don't even.....

85 = !4 * !4 + √4 + √4

Edited by Amram

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.