Shuttle thread

kola2DONO

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, here it was, a short google away. Well, let's get on with it, there have been a good couple of shuttles lately, and a few more seem in the works! Here's mine, both with and without working stock cargo bay:

AyXJZGB.png

ZJr9vCG.png

The thread, so you can find out details if you want. The gist, though, it is that it is very accurate, except in mass, and it is incredibly light in parts, 80 on the pad plus another 80 for the stock payload bay and sample payload.

Rune. Bring them on!

Edited by Rune

I have a custom shuttle :^]

...because I find the standard rocket setup uselessly difficult. :P

Also CRAFT FILE

Good one! Reminds me of something I always wanted to try my hand at, the much more reasonable "Shuttle II" proposed by Johnson Space Center to replace the STS:

http://archive.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/nasa-johnson-space-centers-shuttle-ii-1988/#slideid-466181

Check out the link, it's gorgeous. And it doesn't even appear that crazy... well, at least until you get to the part where they show how to open the bay. Priceless!

Rune. The variety of proposals for Shuttles that never flew is astounding.

I threw this together a couple of days ago, and got it working, but not with cargo. Anything more than empty and it fails to reach orbit, then again I have only attempted that once.

GkWsgw0.png

0XJRhhY.png

(this is from my attempt with cargo)

yxQtDDU.png

wVUjKVJ.png

8MB819w.png

FUB728O.png

oDFla4k.png

the shuttle itself carries only monopropellant and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to do this as easily as I did without the new Vernor engines. I honestly don't think that I'll actually end up using it, seeing as I have cargo SSTOs that are both easier to fly, can carry both more cargo and cargo of variable mass and are 100% reusable.

• 4 months later...

I think it's time to bring this showcase back, so the recent shuttles can find a common place to rest for the ages (and your viewing plasure). First off, my replica of Lockheed's 1969 shuttle proposal:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The full thread if you want the download and details is here.

Rune. And you know, we want all the tips in the same place for the upcoming 0.90, MkIII-powered shuttle frenzy.

Ok, it makes orbit. Now to make a gazillion little adjustments to it without breaking that part! It is at least as accurate as the last shuttle replica I did: true SRBs, no LFO or power generation on the orbiter... the works. It is even a similar number of parts, ~150, while having the RL Shuttle's 20mT low density payload.

6uOxagV.png

RMtzu8m.png

Rune. The "little adjustments" are stuff like making it fly as a glider. That'll be fun.

Nice, the old Shuttle thread. :)

Here is mine. The Münraker.

aqocv7E.png

505 parts stock.

In the Spacelab configuration it gets to an 170-180ish orbit at MECO with lots of fuel for orbital maneuvering on OMS engines. (haven´t tried it with the orange tank jet)

Still in development though.

I´ve added 3 jet engines under the SSMEs for safer landings aso.

And this is an "old" one. Only a few weeks old and already obsolete :rolleyes:

ybltvqj.png

Maybe I´ll try to build something Energia Buran alike soon. God I love the new editor :D

Edited by KerrMü

I present to you my iteration of a shuttle which might actually be functional in a career save, as it manages to haul at least 36t into LKO with relative ease. The space shuttle Mk.7-XT (extended body).

She requires some fuel management in the external tank during flight to keep her flying straight, but other than that it is quite straight forward. It was loads of fun to build and fly, and might take the cake as the build with the most shakedown runs. The pad also occasionally blows up under it, that's nice too.:P

GhTAa5m.jpg

Album containing an entire flights events:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.