Apollo Style

Writing this after a night of sleeplessness so errors are gonna be abundant.

Are there any bodies that you cannot physically do without docking craft in space? Excluding Eve and Jool obviously, but where your rocket is launched directly to another planet with no orbital construction needed.

I've personally done Eeloo (that was with Ioncross life support as well), Duna, Gilly like that so far

I think that you can do a single craft mission to pretty much anywhere (except perhaps Eve), it depends a bit on how large a monster your computer can handle launching. Doing orbital assembly allows for more efficient (and more enjoyable) launches and increases the amount of 'stuff' that you can potentially take, but think you could manage without doing it. Not saying that would be easy thou. As deadshot says, Tylo is a beast so a single shot mission would be a challenging design and it would be much easier to do orbital assembly for it.

For Eve you can do it in one stage but without FAR and realism mods. With FAR, it becomes incredibly hard to do it in one shot (and doing it with 2 parts is already quite insane).

I did it at Eve sea level, using Kethjets. I dont think we can do it with regular rocket engines (and nukes have too low thrust for the crazy gravity there).

I guess i could launch my Eve mission ship in one piece, but that would be ridiculous. Much more convenient to do it in 2 stages.

I'm thinking Tylo.

Tylo is definitely possible apollo style. I've done it.

No docking, no asparagus, no Nuclear engines. I guess this rocket is actually more N-1 style, as it doesn't re-arrange itself once it reaches LKO.

Here is the link to the full mission report.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55392-Tylo-Apollo-Style-because-asparagus-is-for-wimps%21

I've done Eve with a single ship as well....... not using the rover seats and landing at sea-level, but alas........ I had to use asparagus and nuclear engines, so it wasn't really apollo style.

It was during 0.22 when the landing legs weren't working properly, so I made my own. :wink:

7PKza9K.png

wm1u3EW.png

The only Body (besides Jool) is Eve. Since they buff'ed Eve and took the 11,000 feet high plateau away it has been a lot harder

Every other one i have done without docking. (Tylo was the hardest imo, Ion Engine ftw)

Scott Manley you cant count. They have drastically changed Eve since .17 :P He is still my hero

**Correction. The person above me seem's to have done it :D. that's a cool looking lander

Edited by Fidelacchius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.