Triumph: Reusable Crew Transport with Falcon 9 reusable launcher

This is the best thing I've built so far, I think. The main components of every stage fly back to KSC for reuse and it carries 3 kerbals to LKO with no trouble. It even uses the Mk-3 cockpit and a jet fuel adapter without looking completely hideous.

Craft file: Google Drive

Photo album and flight instruction guide.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The hardest part is flying the first stage. Just be careful and start the gravity turn early so that you don't have to steer too far away from the prograde marker. It turns easiest in yaw, so if it gets a bit difficult to control, just roll it a bit.

NOTE: Once you reach orbit, enable roll control on either the small control surfaces or the canards. For some reason the game makes them work in reverse during the first stage flight.

Unfortunately you can't fly the first stage back AND get the rest to orbit, but it is capable. Maybe you could do this when they add multiplayer. Or you can write a kOS script and change the unload distance. I would love it if someone made a video of that!

I've made a falcon equivalent that can make orbit and still land the first stage, but it requires stupidly good timing. Fact of the day: the actual falcon 9 first stage lands with just the center engine. I do like, Falcon 9 launch vehicle with a much better version of the Kliper.

Big kudos on this. Recovering the stages is impressive. I didn't think the Dragon had any engines on it though?

Dragon has a service module with orbital maneuvering capability, but my spacecraft is more like the Dream Chaser spacecraft from Sierra Nevada (but it looks totally different and wouldn't be launched on a Falcon 9 or have a jet engine). It's mostly just designed especially for KSP: lots of fuel for orbital maneuvers, well-balanced, and great range after reentry since targeted reentry is very difficult in this game.

Here is a version I did that's more like Dragon Rider. Google Drive

Enjoy!

Edited by Horn Brain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.