Share your rockets

This is my best with stock engines and scaled to the tower:

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/prb/junk/spess/Thor%202%20Quad%20Mk3.craft

Uses the 3rd party 1-to-4 and escape booster parts, and is currently 15,000,000M out doing 1.3KM/s because I am bad at plotting orbital trajectories. It'll go straight up at full throttle with SAS on to 100KM and still give you a half-full-tank quad-liquid stage and a full single-liquid orbiter with an escape thruster as a last resort. (Or to 10KM with a two-tank quad.)

It's predecessor is interesting in that it's such a tempramental little bugger---it works pretty beautifully so long as you do all the right things at the right time, otherwise it fails explosively:

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/prb/junk/spess/Thor%20Duo%20XL%20Mk2.craft

User Manual:

- Turn on SAS and don't turn it off until the ship is down to the last two liquid stages unless you like large explosions.

- Time the launch for when the top of the ship is not wobbling toward the launch tower.

- Take off at default throttle only. If you raise it, it'll rip itself apart. If you lower it, it'll unsteadily topple into the launch tower.

- Throttle up gently to full once clear of the tower, else the solid engines will run dry too far in advance of the liquids and it'll falter badly during the climb.

- Never ignite a stage before the previous one is clear. There's enough debris ejected that the explosions will cook off the fuel in the stages still attached. This is a very pretty chain reaction but somewhat outpaces the rate at which you can skip ahead to ejecting the command capsule.

- The capsule separation stage has an escape thruster. Its function is to drive the pilots violently into the ground when the rocket turns upside-down. If you run out of fuel in space it is also your last-ditch hope for a de-orbit burn.

- If you modify anything, you need to move the chute back up the stage list to the top, else it fires too early and is destroyed by the escape thruster.

Follow these simple guidlines and you too can have many happy hours of drifting helplessly through the featureless cosmos in the remains of your Thor Duo XL Mk2.

Presenting the newest MagTech Rocket, the Iridium-TR! Simple yet functional, this Iridium Class light lifter will put three Kerbal 'Astroneers'© into an orbit with sufficient fuel to bring them home, or push them to the great beyond!

This two stage model model can reach a height of nearly 50km on the primary stage, and achieves 300km at 3300km/sec at second stage burnout, on an unguided vertical launch*.

May this cheap model enable your future endeavors into the final frontier!

*Note: Flight was stabilized. Flight reached a height of 1111K within 10 minutes.

=>Usage notes: An initial set of decouplers will 'decouple' you from the launchpad. If you desire more maneuverability, jettison the previous stage at full burn, your ship will remain attached and in control (see pic). This also eliminates any massive slowdowns the game may or may not be suffering.

Allow me to share with you, the evolution of the OSIRIS series of rockets:

OSIRIS Mk.I was the first of the OSIRIS rockets, it, unfortunately, failed to take off as the stage 1 boosters destroyed the stage 1 and 2 main rocket motors.

KSP2011-07-1415-05-08-69.png

OSIRIS Mk.II was a huge improvement. And it actually took off. However, there were still problems to be ironed out.

KSP2011-07-1415-06-17-20.png

OSIRIS Mk.III was a small improvement of the Mk.II, but nothing really noteworthy.

OSIRIS Mk.IV was a complete failure. The removal of the stage 1 boosters resulted in the stage 1 main rocket motors not providing enough thrust to get off the ground.

KSP2011-07-1415-10-21-39.png

OSIRIS Mk.V was the platform on which the Mk.VI and VII rockets were built. The addition of smaller, solid fuel motors as stage 1 boosters generated enough force for the Mk.V to take off, and reach for the skies. The only problem was the lack of fuel for the stage 2 and 3 liquid engines.

KSP2011-07-1415-11-08-17.png

OSIRIS Mk.VI was an attempt to fix the fuel problem. Sadly, the stage 2 liquid motors still lacked enough fuel to escape the atmosphere.

OSIRIS Mk.VII was the final product of 3 hours of testing. No one had yet to die, and the Mk.VII punched the kerbals into space, and eventually, on orbit. While true, orbit was reached, it didn't last. After 40 minutes of flight, the orbit turned out to be flawed and the space rocket crashed. The kerbals so excited about reaching orbit, that they forgot to open the parachute, and thus, crashed.

KSP2011-07-1415-12-15-87.png

Over the last couple of days I have been perfecting the SOL program, designed with intention of creating a craft with enough fuel and power to achieve deep space flight, whilst also having the capabilities to deploy the final stages as an orbital shuttle.

SOL I was designed purely as a test for the final stages of the craft with not enough fuel to achieve much more than 10000 metres on its own.

SOL II was an experiment in fuel and power, but a catastrophic failure and served to show that lightness was key.

SOL III was designed to find a way to escape the atmosphere whilst conserving as much weight as possible. Partial orbit was achieved, at the expense of using exploding solid fuel boosters to achieve lift off due to lack of power.

SOL IV has been a resounding success. It was designed with a compromise between the power of the MK II and the weight of the MK III and is capable of achieving both orbit and deep space flight via both vertical thrust and slingshot orbit.

gWVn8.png

This is my best rocket yet. 13 liquid engines fire at launch and half the time it breaks up mid-flight. The abort sequence consists of activating the first 6 solids and releasing them, miraculously destroying everything but the command module. However, if it makes it past the first stage, I can get into orbit with plenty of fuel to spare.

ZZWyj.png

This is my best rocket yet. 13 liquid engines fire at launch and half the time it breaks up mid-flight. The abort sequence consists of activating the first 6 solids and releasing them, miraculously destroying everything but the command module. However, if it makes it past the first stage, I can get into orbit with plenty of fuel to spare.

Ah, yes, the classic 'when it doesn't blow up, it's awesome!' approach to space exploration :D

First post.

This is the Arrow Mk III

No chutes

No couplers

No jettisoned boosters

All stock parts. :o

The Whole Rocket >>> Into Space (433km) (can achieve orbit, with lots of fuel for maneuvers)

21Ryy.png

If anyone wants to recreate it, the parts are all listed. Remember to keep SAS on by pressing 'T' once, then holding 'A' while praying hard. >:(

Also, the wings help with full throttle without overheating... (I don't even know why... but it works.)

First post.

This is the Arrow Mk III

No chutes

No couplers

No jettisoned boosters

All stock parts. :o

The Whole Rocket >>> Into Space (433km) (can achieve orbit, with lots of fuel for maneuvers)

21Ryy.png

If anyone wants to recreate it, the parts are all listed. Remember to keep SAS on by pressing 'T' once, then holding 'A' while praying hard. >:(

Also, the wings help with full throttle without overheating... (I don't even know why... but it works.)

first of all welcome !

nice rocket you got there !

and to anwers your toughts about why the wings help with cooling it down.

the game is settup so that everything dat does not generate heat absorbs the heat !

first of all welcome !

nice rocket you got there !

and to anwers your toughts about why the wings help with cooling it down.

the game is settup so that everything dat does not generate heat absorbs the heat !

Thank you for the warm welcome. ;D

With regards to heat absorption, I guess my design isn't fully optimized yet. I'll do a couple of tests to see if removing the wings and going at a 80-90% thrust can reach farther.

I'd even get rid of the SAS module if I could just fly better. :'(

Ah, the pursuit of simplicity and efficiency is not a trivial thing at all.

Hey lads,

Just got my account created. I've done a few successful ships and a few not so... Anyhow, wanted to share this one for the laughs of it.

It's amusing and actually quite ok. Behold the VomitComit.

Hey FrankEast.

Check this out.

Extra parts: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29364470/EXTRA_EXTRA_PUT_IN_PARTS.rar

Extra parts mirror: http://www./?f36kytio353rfmo

Forum: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php

Also, for more parts, check the forum here under Projects and Release...

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

See you in orbit! 8)

Thank you for the warm welcome. ;D

With regards to heat absorption, I guess my design isn't fully optimized yet. I'll do a couple of tests to see if removing the wings and going at a 80-90% thrust can reach farther.

I'd even get rid of the SAS module if I could just fly better. :'(

Ah, the pursuit of simplicity and efficiency is not a trivial thing at all.

no problemo :)

af for your thrust it all depends on how far you want to go the lower you are the more drag you have in the air if you can save 1 or 2 fuel tanks and you are out of orbit those 2 tanks will get you really far !

My awesome cheap orbit flyer :o.How can it be cheap and orbit?Well it has 3 large fuel tanks along with a large liquid engine.You can get up to 600000 meters with this thing!Just put throttle up and down.No pictures for now but it is big,white and orange,with a large liquid engine at the bottom.This needs sunday's extra models.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.