Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Hey Yanfret, I was wondering if you're planing to update some parts of the mod sometime to incorporate the current road map for mars, I mean, nuclear propulsion has been dropped long ago by NASA, and the Mars mission will be either solar or nuclear powered electric propulsion (have you read "The Martian"?). Please don't get me wrong, I love this pack and your texturing skills are awesome, just wondering if an updated Mars/Duna mission will get the "Yanfret/Chaka" treatment.

journey_to_mars.jpeg

hermes_from__the_martian__by_francisdrakex-d80sys7.jpg

hermes_leaving_earth_by_francisdrakex-d80t79h.jpg

Cheers :)

Edited by Drakenex

Hey Yanfret, I was wondering if you're planing to update some parts of the mod sometime to incorporate the current road map for mars, I mean, nuclear propulsion has been dropped long ago by NASA, and the Mars mission will be either solar or nuclear powered electric propulsion (have you read "The Martian"?). Please don't get me wrong, I love this pack and your texturing skills are awesome, just wondering if an updated Mars/Duna mission will get the "Yanfret/Chaka" treatment.

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/journey_to_mars.jpeg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/271/e/4/hermes_from__the_martian__by_francisdrakex-d80sys7.jpg

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/271/a/e/hermes_leaving_earth_by_francisdrakex-d80t79h.jpg

Cheers :)

Love love love the Martian! Incredible book! I hope they don't ruin the movie that's supposed to come out late this year I think.

I'm all for it, but how would we simulate long duration SEP burns in KSP without doing it in real time?

Just up the thrust for the sake of convenience. Also, I know the SEP spacecraft used some form of chemical booster (like the upper stage of the Mars lander shown in the Boeing infographic) to get going, as well.

Just up the thrust for the sake of convenience. Also, I know the SEP spacecraft used some form of chemical booster (like the upper stage of the Mars lander shown in the Boeing infographic) to get going, as well.

Yeah but if it's that easy then I have to make it :P

Well I guess my point is that a large scale SEP to duna system as depicted by Boeing would burn for half the distance to Mars and the transfer orbit would not be similar to a boost then coast shape curve, so if we up the thrust we're really just simulating the NTR system with different efficiency, and that seems a little surface somehow.

Yes! that's a big issue, in RL the ship only accelerates half the trip and decelerates the other half, both things can't be simulated.

With my nuclear powered-Ion propelled near future prototype, trans-duna injection takes 9 minutes, so may be with more engines (40 Ion / 20 cluster) it takes less time and the injection will be less boring (I just went for some coffee ;) )

CcuwnU8.png?1

Love love love the Martian! Incredible book! I hope they don't ruin the movie that's supposed to come out late this year I think.

Yes!! I couldn't put it down until I finished it, It's a must read for any Mars missions enthusiast. The movie is supposed to release on November 25th and is on post-production, but the lack of a trailer, interviews and a poster is very strange or may be I'm looking at the wrong places!

Yeah but if it's that easy then I have to make it :P

Well I guess my point is that a large scale SEP to duna system as depicted by Boeing would burn for half the distance to Mars and the transfer orbit would not be similar to a boost then coast shape curve, so if we up the thrust we're really just simulating the NTR system with different efficiency, and that seems a little surface somehow.

Don't get me wrong please. I love the way it looks and I am sure you have gone through painstaking efforts to get it to look like this but idk. To me it looks a bit stretched. It looks too long. I know the SLS is an enormous rocket! However like I said it look too stretched. If you are going by that picture I am afraid you are making it too long because of the angle. If you look at the mock up picture the camera would be positioned on a tripod or at eye level of a standard human. That SLS is most likely pasted over a Space Shuttle rollout. So you have to imagine that there is an immense angle to the picture. So if you are stretching your model based on this picture because of the angle your end result will end up looking stretched. Both of your comparison shots are straight on. Compare them straight on but from what would be the height of a kerbal or human looking up at a similar difference. Anyway it really does look good albeit in my opinion a little stretched. Its probably just me.

Edited by sp1989

Choices and Options

Here is a new version that is roughly 4% shorter than what I had posted above before

BokdQc.jpg

h81wAG.jpg

gwqvsv.jpg

And it's scaled here with two official and reputable sources. In this example, the Chaka model is somewhat shorter than one reference, however I think it would visually look better in KSP.

Do you guys think it looks good like this or should we stretch it up more?

Edited by YANFRET

It may just be a lack of the detailing (flags, country names, external oxidiser pipe location) on the sides that it look stretched, there's more white space. Along with the perspective it's hard to tell if it really is stretched or squashed.

It may just be a lack of the detailing (flags, country names, external oxidiser pipe location) on the sides that it look stretched, there's more white space. Along with the perspective it's hard to tell if it really is stretched or squashed.

I agree but I also think that main stage is too tall. I think if it was shortened thatt would put everything else into perspective better. Also the interstage is too tall as well. What interesting is I think from the interstage up everything is ok. I know its probably alot of work to be toying around but what if you made the the core stage and interstage like 5% shorter. Then adjusted the srbs accordingly. I don't know it just all looks sligthtly stretched.

I agree but I also think that main stage is too tall. I think if it was shortened thatt would put everything else into perspective better. Also the interstage is too tall as well. What interesting is I think from the interstage up everything is ok. I know its probably alot of work to be toying around but what if you made the the core stage and interstage like 5% shorter. Then adjusted the srbs accordingly. I don't know it just all looks sligthtly stretched.

Even side by side with the official images?

Update

EDIT: See below

Edited by YANFRET

Even side by side with the official images?

Like I said it just could be me. Maybe it's like he said, perhaps some textures decals and greebles. Perhaps a matte white if that's possible? Again it's probably me.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said it just could be me. Maybe it's like he said, perhaps some textures decals and greebles. Perhaps a matte white if that's possible? Again it's probably me.

Wait you have two interstages? It should just be the taipered interstage no? Maybe that's what's making it look so long?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait you have two interstages? It should just be the taipered interstage no? Maybe that's what's making it look so long?

Sorry I should have clarified, this latest image is for Block IB not for Orion... and then I went back and changed a core stage texture again so let's just start over.

Update!

For Block IB

z8KGFr.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

LOL I'm sorry but, I think some people just go alittle to far this is a game and trying to get size of the rock to scale is alittle crazy, I'm really scale to what this is what gets me about RSS or RO , The rocket scale to the planet what ? Because the rocket scale to the kerbal is way off that is my big pet P with the game scale the kerbal to the rocket lol to funny ok back to guys hehe.

EDIT-th?id=JN.FUH7E0KWEHeAT4VYdOBvbg&pid=15.1Tom%20Mueller%20Arrival%20Story%20Merlin%20engines.jpg

Now load up your ksp and put a kerbal next to any engine and see

EDIT- There is someone standing next to the engine in the first picture just hard to see.

Edited by Mecripp2

LOL I'm sorry but, I think some people just go alittle to far this is a game and trying to get size of the rock to scale is alittle crazy, I'm really scale to what this is what gets me about RSS or RO , The rocket scale to the planet what ? Because the rocket scale to the kerbal is way off that is my big pet P with the game scale the kerbal to the rocket lol to funny ok back to guys hehe.

EDIT-http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.FUH7E0KWEHeAT4VYdOBvbg&pid=15.1http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures/landofsunshine/assets/images/Tom%20Mueller%20Arrival%20Story%20Merlin%20engines.jpg

EDIT- There is someone standing next to the engine in the first picture just hard to see.

Let me stress I agree 100% with mecripp. Your SLS is truly something to behold and is wonderful. I was letting you know what my knitpick was. You make it however you want because honestly it is beautiful. So if you think it looks fine then absolutely go with it.

EDIT-http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.FUH7E0KWEHeAT4VYdOBvbg&pid=15.1http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures/landofsunshine/assets/images/Tom%20Mueller%20Arrival%20Story%20Merlin%20engines.jpg

Well in this case we're not talking about it's scale, we're talking about it's vertical to horizontal proportions, whatever scale is being depicted.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna go ahead and lock in these dimensions:

x7cSgV.jpg

3UFlDW.jpg

tFKtrh.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Does anybody know is this pack is compatible with 1.0? Would really love to start using it to explore again!

This may sound crazy, but you could test it yourself. I will say this, if it uses the old node system it won't work unless you use the cheat to ignore node direction. Also, with the changes to atmosphere, the DV and TWR values are going to be far too high. They will all need to be adjusted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.