Medium size solar arrays

I think there's a big gap between the Gigantor and the other 1x6 and 2x3 panels that should be filled with a medium size extendable array. It would be similar in design to the Gigantor, but roughly two thirds the size as shown below:

ARe5ZwHl.jpg

You might recognize that it is very similar in scale to the SpaceX Dragon. That was not my intention, but it just worked out that way. However, I feel it would better suit medium size space vehicles. There could perhaps even be a smaller variant, one third the size of the Gigantor, though that would be fairly similar to the 2x3 panel, just oriented length-ways.

It might even be practical to make it a packed unit like the SP-L and SP-W that would fit snugly on modules like the Storage Container as shown above.

I support this too, it'd be nice to have a middle ground. Although, really, what we need is more things to actually drain power, there aren't many occasions when you need more than a couple of OX-4Ws, unless you're transmitting a lot, or using ion drives. Currently the only reason I use the Gigantors at all is aesthetics.

I'm not sure what your getting at (Sorry) But i'll support but still please explain it to me (Sorry)

He wants a solar array smaller than the Gigantor-XL arrays, but larger than the OX-4 ones.

Yes! I would also say we need some true gigantor panels for stations. ISS style. Not quite Balka Solar Wing size, but at least twice the size of Gigantors. There used to be a mod that had these. They were amazing for station aesthetics. And yes, we really do need more stuff that draws power. Two gigantors will run an ion drive no matter how far out you go. We need more reason to use them! Though, if you have kethane, you get plenty use out of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.