I made a spreadsheet for tracking science/experiments done

joebob24_us

I banged out a spreadsheet in google docs to track the experiments I had already done, because I was tired of repeating missions. Some of you may get some use out of this, others maybe not. I figured it'd be nice to throw it up here, as I'm sure I'm not the only one having problems remembering what I'd already done. The matrix was hard to layout, since I'm tracking 3 levels of data (altitude location, biome type, experiment), but I figured this would suffice. If anyone has ideas on how to better this spreadsheet without over-complicating it, I'm open to anything.

To work the spreadsheet, simply type an X (case doesn't matter) to check off any cell that represents data gathered or experiment you did. This will turn the cell from red to green, marking it as completed. Tabs on the bottom for each Primary celestial body, secondaries (moons/satellites) are on their respective host-body tab (EXCEPT for Kerbin's moons, because they had way too much data and I didn't want to scroll down forever).

Here is a link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArFxNRliTeZddEsxYmhDOGt2MXJzWVZ6Rl9sMFU3V2c&usp=sharing

OC31GUV.jpg

Column A shows the different "locations" (altitude layers, light blue cells), and is then subdivided by each biome type. Planets that only have a single biome, will only show the biome "SURFACE".

Sharing is set to view ONLY. Click on "File>Make a copy" and it will copy it to your drive so you can edit.

-Joebob

P.S. Still a WIP. Once I get farther along in the game, I'll update the spreadsheet to track where my resources are (landers, orbiting stations, etc.).

Edited by joebob24_us

• 1 month later...

Thanks this is really cool. A cool feature would be if it had numbers so you could compare it to the science archives in game.

Also I have noticed there are two types of ground reports, "srf landed" and "srf splashed". I have only seen it on Kerbin shores and water biomes so far, but both might be possible in other biomes too. From what I have seen the seismic scan and sensor array work with "srf landed", but not "srf splashed" when on the ground.

With numbers, do you mean the amount of science collected? I agree, that would be useful. If I figure out how to get a nice percentage graph or some other way to visually identify the progress in a glance, I'll add that.

Regarding landed vs. splashed: I assume that you can't land on water and can't splash on land biomes, so what exactly do you propose?

With numbers, do you mean the amount of science collected?

Refer to the photo below. The numbers would be the numbers shown in the left column. Also the total (245 in my case) would be nice too.

L3wZ7yN.jpg

If I figure out how to get a nice percentage graph or some other way to visually identify the progress in a glance, I'll add that.

Yeah that would be nice too. Maybe something simple like one X for it being researched but not 100% and the cell is yellow; and two Xs means it is 100% researched and it turns green.

Regarding landed vs. splashed: I assume that you can't land on water and can't splash on land biomes, so what exactly do you propose?

Oh, but you can... look at this picture carefully (look at what is selected on the left column and the results):

OTQv3b4.jpg

Edited by Glenathan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.