Kerbin Kolonization Konglomerate - Space Station/Base building Collab

Captain Sierra

I am aware of what kerbalizing the title does to the initialism. thought it was clever and mildly entertaining. I am in no way attempting to create a racist reference. The commonly used initiallism by players is K3, not KKK.

The K3 Project welcomes you fellow kolonizers!

K3 is currently FULL. I apoligize for the inconvenience.

This is a unique collab project with the intent of colonizing the Kerbin system and possibly later on, the entire Kerbol system. The rulesets have been created with the intent of prolonging enjoyable collaborative gameplay over anything else and I hope you enjoy your time if you choose to partake in the endeavor. This collab does use the Kethane pack. Other balanced, stockalike mods are also open to being added at the discretion of all active members collectively. Such mods may include RLA Stockalike, Mobius Rocketworks, and KSPX.

Membership:

To keep cycling everyone through often, there is a hard cap of ten players, myself included. You may leave at any time for any reason, however, your slot may not be reserved should you return. You may be removed from the list of kolonizers if you are unable to participate in projects when you are requested. More details on this can be found in the section on missions.

Kolonizers:

1. Captain Sierra
  2. Monopropellant
  3. Weegee
  4. Sirine
  5. Xetalim
  6. baberbot
  7. Avera9eJoe
  8. Deathsoul097
  9. CaptainArchmage
  10. Blue.

Missions:

The K3 does projects differently. For starters, we refer to them as projects.

Each Kolonizer has a chance to lay out a specific project they want to see complete. This should come with a diagram, a hyperedited/scaled mock-up, something to show what the intent is. This person becomes the Project Lead for that project. The PL is in charge of building all the components of the base/space station and then taking volunteers to deliver the modules or other payloads. Once you take a payload, you may not volunteer for another until everyone else has taken one payload. Once a person has been project lead, they may not be project lead until everyone else has. You may defer on your turn as PL in which case you will be moved to the end of the line. I am deferring for the first turn so I may focus on balancing the rulesets as necessary.

Design Codes:

K3 embraces a series of design limits intended to help keep things both challenging and fun for all participants. These are laid out for both bases and stations below.

Bases

K3 believes that a true base is merged into a single craft. It should also be easily reconfigurable, modular. For ideas and more info on these concepts, you are encoraged to explore this theory work post and this modules kit by Temstar. The above are good throughout the Kerbin system, but remain useless should the Konglomerate move outside of said system.

Space Stations

We believe space stations should meet a handful of requirements:

• Have a function
  • Appear to be designed for said function
  • Actually exectute the function (with some exceptions)
  • Look cool
  • Be expandable

The last one is of importance as projects will have limits on what can be done initially. Some may have to be done as non-project missions later on. The third one mentions exceptions. Training centers are one. KSP does not support training thus roleplay is required to satisfy the third requirement in that case. Fuel depots are bases which are not exempt from item 3 by roleplay.

Project Restrictions:

Bases

Each module has a soft part count limit of 30 and a hard part count limit of 50 (though I am flexible to a degree); Trusses have a hard part count limit of 25.

Each module has a hard weight cap of 25 tons. With .23 tweakable fuel levels, orange tanks don't have to weight 36 tons anymore. You have no excuse on this one.

Each module must obey standard base height, which should be the same across a base (and preferably all bases; this mainly applies to post-project additions).

Each base is limited to 12 modules and 8 truss pieces (see the Temstar links) during the project. Truss pieces can (and probably should) be launched many at a time. Each launch only goes to one person.

Each base should have the necessary equipment for at least one launch complex.

Each module should be provided with the necessary landing equipment (and preferably lifter/transfer stage*).

If Applicable

Space Stations

Each module has a soft part count limit of 40 and a hard part count limit of 75.

Each module has a hard weight cap of 25 tons.

Each station is limited to 12 modules during the project. More may be added post-project.

Each station should have standard docking ports free for docking service craft; whereas station modules themselves are welcome to use large ports to attach for structural stability.

Standard docking ports are commonly used for civilian and corporate equipment (living quarters, docks, comms, power arrays, etc.) while large ports are often used for industrial equipment (kethane equipment, fuel tanks, large craft/tanker docks, etc.).

Post-Project Missions

These can be anything from running a kethane shipment from a base to a station to relocating a wellhead to crew rotation to adding a new module of your own design. These run on a separate que from project missions. We will alternate, running one active project mission followed by one post project mission. This que is typically shorter.

This post will be updated as necessary for clarifications to the rules and otherwise.

The Theory Work:

If you read all the above, good on you. You may have noticed that the rules are drastically different than normal collabs. That is done on purpose. This collab is set up specifically so that a small group of people is provided a common goal and they have to work towards it, rather than traditional collabs where players are given a generalized goal which they pursue mostly by their own methods and formfactors. This is in a way, a social experiment, a gameplay experiment, and a chance to try out a new ruleset that has never been done before. I encourage people to be openminded and at least stick around for a project or two.

Note to Project Leads:

Other players will be landing/docking your modules. It is in your best interest to make them easy to land/dock to reduce the chance of failure and the need for you, as PL to reconfigure the project timetables.

Edited by Captain Sierra
Moar Kolonizationists!

Project Lead Guidelines:

Being a project lead is a lot of work. By the way this collab is set up, the project lead has to create the equipment for a project, do some rudimentary testing, and manage the timeline. While the overall rules set a mission window of 72 hours, the project lead is entitled to shorten it should they need to.

As project lead, you are also in charge of ensuring other players understand their mission parameters, i.e. when building a space station, be sure to indicate where specific modules are to go in your project briefing. All project briefings must be PMed to me so that they can be copied into the second half of this post. When it is your turn to PL, I will give you instructions on how to send it to me so that your BBCode markup is preserved and copyable. The project lead is also in charge of distributing the missions to players. Unlike normal collabs, EVERYONE gets a turn at effectively running it. I am also seeing about getting a special sig badge for anyone who project leads in this. It's an achievement worthy of recognition.

Mission Reports:

Mission reports are your way of telling us that you succeeded, while also drawing positive attention and feedback from the community to both yourself and this collab. A designated thread has been created here for you to post in. I politely request that you spam the crap out of your screenshot key during missions. More pictures is always better. Imgur albums can be embedded with

[noparse][imgur]j0Hw6">Javascript is disabled. View full album

[/noparse] The code between them is the bolded part of the address here: www.imgur.com/a/j0Hw6#0

More albums with beautiful pictures will make both your mission and the project as a whole look so much nicer. Lastly, don't forget to take whatever creative license you want on the reports. Those are your personal time to shine. Take it!

Project Lead List:

1. Weegee
  2. Sirine
  3. Xetalim
  4. baberbot
  5. Captain Sierra
  6. Avera9eJoe
  7. Deathsoul097
  8. CaptainArchmage
  9. Monopropellant

Project Briefing:

Project Information:

The members of this collab have taken it upon themselves to keep an up-to-date google doc file with additional information about launch order, project lead order, and possible upcoming projects. This document is viewable here.

Olympia Station

The goal of this project is to set up a station in low Mun orbit (30k). And yes, it is partially named for the Olympics, but also for Greece and Greek Mythology as well, as they are common ship names.

Mission Parameters:

Olympia Station will serve as a fuel depot, facilitating Munar surface operations, serving as a hub for traffic, and as a mid point to shipping fuel back to LKO (Luther Station). Here is a hyper-edited mock-up:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Module List:

The parts of the station will be launched in the following order:

• Module 1: Station Core
  • Module 2: Docking Arm 1
  • Module 3: Docking Arm 2
  • Module 4: Fuel Tank 1
  • Module 5: Fuel Tank 2

And here's an album of the parts individually:

Sign-ups

Post a reply to this thread to sign up for a module. It will be on a first come first serve basis. Please make sure you will be available in the coming days so the project will go smoothly. If once the person before you has posted that they are done (and you receive a PM) and cannot do the launch within 24 hours, please leave a reply or PM me personally so it can be re-assigned. We can then work you into a later launch or whatever is necessary. If 24 hours have passed and the next launcher has not responded, the launch will be automatically assigned to the next person.

Files!

I've made a new save file with all the craft files (saved as sub-assemblies, also with the finished station file if you want it) to make sure no one gets the modules confused with the ones for Luther Station. Make sure to delete the old folder and then add this one!

If you are not the first person launching, get the updated persistence from the google doc here.

Download for save file.

Last of all, make sure to keep up to date on this thread, and in the google doc. If you have an questions, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Captain Sierra
Mission Briefing!

Quick question before I think a bit more about applying: how much time do you think this could take a player daily/weekly? On average.

Not a lot. That reminds me, I need to add time frames. I'll do that when i add the mission info in the second post. I was thinking of doing a 72 hour mission window with the option to request an extension if necessary (It probably won't ever be). I'll be PMing people when their mission is up. Depending on how fast stuff goes, you'd be up probably once every other week for a mission window.

Seems interesting. I may apply this weekend if I have enough time.

Get your name on the list now! Sooner you do that, sooner you'll find yourself as Project Lead!

EDIT: fair to note that to keep everyone cycling through fairly quickly, I am hard capping it at 10 players. I do not remember if I said that in the OP or not.

EDIT: EDIT: I did state that as the first sentence under membership.

This seems interesting, count me in too! :D

Note though: Unless I suddenly become the world's best negotiator, I am only available to use a KSP capable machine (at least, for more than ~1 hour) every other day. (Though, based on what you said that won't be an issue most of the time :wink:)

Great choice of acronym! (Sarcasm alert.)

Quoting myself:

I am aware of what kerbalizing the title does to the initialism. thought it was clever and mildly entertaining. I am in no way attempting to create a racist reference.

I guess there will always be those humans who choose not to read. *sigh*

very tempted to sign on my newly formed company...

This isn't really a roleplay collab, but you as a player are welcome to sign on!

Secondary post has been updated with some additional info. First project starting in less than NINE days! New members are ALWAYS welcome. The more the merrier when project time comes around!

Hey guys! I'm leading the first project. I decided to start off with a space station in kerbin orbit. It is intended to be a fuel reserve for replenishing crafts as well as a kethane refinery.

Today, I began working on the modules. A peek at the first few modules.

I'll PM you a full briefing once the modules are all done and refined.

*only mod actually used on crafts is kethane, other mods seen are not used.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.