Remote Tech with Previous Probes

Hello,

I Launched a probe to the sun.

THEN,

I found and installed remote Tech.

It immediantly Deactived the already activated antennas on my probe. I had the D 88-88 one and some others.

Well, I go into the save file and re-activate them. I dont consider this cheating since they were activated before the remote tech install.

Well, I now have a sat Network set up. I activated a D 88-88 Dish antenna (The default folding one) it has the required range to reach my probe. I targed it to the probe with the menu, and did as best as I could to orient the spacecraft to the probe.

I cant do anything to my probe because it has no connection. In real life though, it would be listening for a transmition. As logn as it hits it.

Anyone have any luck recovering previously launched probes after installing Remote Tech?

Hello,

I Launched a probe to the sun.

THEN,

I found and installed remote Tech.

It immediantly Deactived the already activated antennas on my probe. I had the D 88-88 one and some others.

Well, I go into the save file and re-activate them. I dont consider this cheating since they were activated before the remote tech install.

Well, I now have a sat Network set up. I activated a D 88-88 Dish antenna (The default folding one) it has the required range to reach my probe. I targed it to the probe with the menu, and did as best as I could to orient the spacecraft to the probe.

I cant do anything to my probe because it has no connection. In real life though, it would be listening for a transmition. As logn as it hits it.

Anyone have any luck recovering previously launched probes after installing Remote Tech?

You used to be able to set a target for your antennae even when you dindn't have control over the spacecraft, but they seem to have changed that in the latest release, which is a pity, because it made things much less frustrating!

If all else fails, you can send a manned crew to your satellite. A Kerbal on EVA can manually point the antennae of a dead satellite (they can also activate them), thus giving it a connection and life. A nice touch that adds to the utility of humans :) That said... a mission to the sun - it may be too hard to get a crew to the satellite!!

Well that's not completely out of the question. The probes apaoapsis is the orbit of Kerbin, and its currently on its part of the orbit to the apoapsis. Just kerbin has moved in its orbit from where the probe was launched.

Well that's not completely out of the question. The probes apaoapsis is the orbit of Kerbin, and its currently on its part of the orbit to the apoapsis. Just kerbin has moved in its orbit from where the probe was launched.

The problem you're going to run into is actually getting close enough to your satellite to do anything useful. We're talking about Hitting a speeding bullet with another bullet whilst riding on the back of a horse.

Well I found it in the save file. I set one of my other Sats target to Kerbin. Then I found that sat and copied the target. Then I pasted it into my save file for the target for my dead probe. That seemed to work. I don't see this as cheating, since it would have been set up that way before remote tech, just I didn't have the options to do that. I noticed that I do not have to Physically POINT the antennas at each other. That would be very Tricky. That would make a VERY challangeing update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.