Wobbly rockets - Now 1.09 - 2 metre parts, verniers, payload fairings, MUCH more

Sunday Punch

Do you mind adding a 2x3 and 3x2 adapter? Because i have yet to see one and i desperately need one ;-;

Hush, I made a 2 to 3, working on a 3 to 2 right now.

edit: derp you meant 2 shafts to 3 and 3 to 2. Not 2 meter to 3 meter.

Sunday- is there anyway to get the 5x1 plate to be recognized by the symmetry device? If the 4x setting would hit the 4 outside spots, it'll be alot easier then doing each one individually.

Same with the 3x1 linear couplers.

Thanks

ETA- any way to make the 5x1 plate and the 4 engine decoupler shroud stronger? With a full Saturn build using a 2m intermediate stage it's almost impossible to take off because either the decoupler or the plate fail.

screenshot5tl.png

So I made a Saturn V.

It still has some issues - like I had to use the 3m liquids for the S-II because the 3m shroud decoupler wouldn't work with five engines - or the S-IVB and CSM being dummies, without even decouplers, or that large bits of it are - at least for making a Saturn V - orange.

But goddamnit, I did it!

Is that a 2m section I spy? What addon is that?

It's not possible to get an upside-down model for that Retro Rocket module?

I tried myself but fail at modeling, and Milkshape doesn't import .DAE for a quick rotate fix.

Basically, I'm after something like 3.30 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dryr977yjdr0

I've got the CFG working, just looks funny when the rockets are facing the wrong way.

Smaller engines are more efficient but have lower thrust. They're a better choice if your rocket is light enough to lift, but efficiency won't do you any good if your rocket can't get off the pad. Heavier rockets will need the more powerful, less efficient engines.

I suspect the reason high thrust rockets are not really a very good choice is the extreme thickness of the Kerbal atmosphere at low altitude. Even extremely high levels of thrust won't get you moving very much faster than a much less powerful rocket, most of the energy is just bled off by drag. The aerodynamics of KSP are quite strange indeed, just witness the wall you run into if your orbit dips below 35km.

You might be right, but if the simplest rockets it the most efficient, you might as well not build larger ones

I just downloaded the latest version last night, and I have a slight problem. When I use the big 3-meter tank in the middle and solid boosters on the side, the fuel engine is always jettisoned together with the SRB:s (i.e. it breaks off below the fuel tank), even when there's no decoupler above it! Kinda inconvenient, as my rockets now get to 3000m, and jettison all their engines at once...

I just downloaded the latest version last night, and I have a slight problem. When I use the big 3-meter tank in the middle and solid boosters on the side, the fuel engine is always jettisoned together with the SRB:s (i.e. it breaks off below the fuel tank), even when there's no decoupler above it! Kinda inconvenient, as my rockets now get to 3000m, and jettison all their engines at once...

Sounds like you have a staging problem or your boosters are bumping into the rocket when jettisoning.

Care to post your .craft file so we can take a looky look?

Skunky

Can you make LT-40 and LT-41 coupler (guessing that's what you would name it...)

just a LT-30+LT-31 combined?

Actually I guess it might be a LT-50/51 :)

I've had this happen to me before, on the rocket in my sig. took me a couple trys and fails to get it right. But hell, this thing can go.

how am i supposed to use the retros?

closest to 'proper' i got was starting it and detaching the stage in two different steps.

when i put it in the same stage, the retro is allways ignored. can't be right.

It seems that the nodes on the 3m to 5x 1m adapter shroud aren't perfectly symmetrical; I made a 5 engine M-50 cluster for the first stage of my Saturn V replica, and at lift off the rocket tends to lean backwards, a lot. The backward-leaning effect gets stronger the more throttle is used, and the more powerful the engine is, so one of the outer nodes it either too close to the center or too far away from it, is what my hypothesis is. Even using an RCS module, the tilt force is too strong to counteract over 50% throttle using the 5 engine M-50 cluster.

The same effect does not happen when using the 4x cluster engine, or a single engine.

It seems that the nodes on the 3m to 5x 1m adapter shroud aren't perfectly symmetrical; I made a 5 engine M-50 cluster for the first stage of my Saturn V replica, and at lift off the rocket tends to lean backwards, a lot. The backward-leaning effect gets stronger the more throttle is used, and the more powerful the engine is, so one of the outer nodes it either too close to the center or too far away from it, is what my hypothesis is. Even using an RCS module, the tilt force is too strong to counteract over 50% throttle using the 5 engine M-50 cluster.

The same effect does not happen when using the 4x cluster engine, or a single engine.

Check the part file, they're all symmetrical. What's likely happening is one of the engines has vibrated itself of centre so you're getting non-symmetrical thrust. Have a look at the second post in this thread for an example. Because there's no way to alter the rigidity of links between parts there's nothing I can do about this. Sorry!

Sounds like you have a staging problem or your boosters are bumping into the rocket when jettisoning.

Care to post your .craft file so we can take a looky look?

Skunky

Well, I would, but I have since figured it out. The problem only occured when the decoupler extended down past the bottom of the fuel tank, allowing either the SRB or the separating charge to hit the liquid motor, dislodging it. As long as you keep your radial decouplers higher than that, no problem at all! So it was just user error :).

...I might add that I was using NovaSiliskos long decoupler, this error is much harder to duplicate with the default decouplers.

So, now that I've figured out that I was the idiot, I can confidently say that this is an awesome addon pack! :)

...I might add that I was using NovaSiliskos long decoupler, this error is much harder to duplicate with the default decouplers.

So, now that I've figured out that I was the idiot, I can confidently say that this is an awesome addon pack! :)

Some of his couplers have two top nodes for covering different engine lengths. If you attach to the wrong one you can get parts stuck inside each other and that's an instant fail when you head out to the pad.

Glad to see you got it worked out. :)

Cheers

Skunky