Wobbly rockets - Now 1.09 - 2 metre parts, verniers, payload fairings, MUCH more

Sunday Punch

Thanks for spending the time to make these awesome parts!

Ok, I have a request for two new parts (or maybe they could be combined as one?) that would be very essential to orbital flight. It would be an engine system and fuel tank that attaches to the back of the command pod. The fuel tank would be half the length of the normal tank and the engine could use the standard liquid engine model with a different skin (it would be nice if this was smaller, but that might be too much work). The engine would be very weak but the tank would have a lot of fuel. Just having the fuel tank and engine on the capsule would not provide enough thrust to lift it off the ground and only the engine or another fuel tank would be able to attach to the bottom of the fuel tank (so it's large tank size won't be exploited). Once you're in space this would make it easier to adjust the orbit, because it takes very little force to change the path of a stable orbit. It would also give players an easy way to de-orbit instead of just drifting if their rockets have run out of fuel. The names could have something like 'Nuclear...' or 'Orbital...' to explain the use. I'll probably try to tell Harvester about this too because I think it could really change the game.

Let me just say that don't worry, I'm way ahead of you :)

Let me just say that don't worry, I'm way ahead of you :)

I was a little sad actually because the Command Pod + RCS + Liquid Engine looks almost exactly like an Apollo CSM, but that doesn't actually work. Let me build that and you'll be my hero.

Ah, who am I kidding, you've been my hero since I first saw some of your parts in the SA thread. Keep up the good work!

I was a little sad actually because the Command Pod + RCS + Liquid Engine looks almost exactly like an Apollo CSM, but that doesn't actually work. Let me build that and you'll be my hero.

Ah, who am I kidding, you've been my hero since I first saw some of your parts in the SA thread. Keep up the good work!

I may have in fact based the model for the RCS on the Apollo Service Module ;)

You could use one of my mini SRBs, although that would probably still make it longer than the CSM. And it wouldn't be a liquid engine obviously.

Hey!

I am immensly enjoying your pack. Some ideas for even more enjoyment!

-recolor the adapter cones ( going from 5 meters to 3 meters ) to the same colour as the big tank, aesthetic but I think it would be really nice

-Have the adapter cones actually contain fuel and weight for more realistic creations

-A single engine of the type of the 4 engines, for more variety in stages

-A vacuum version of an engine, with a big nozzle etc.

Various ideas ( I am just brainstorming here ! )

- automatic chute deploy at certain levels ( even on jettisoned stages )

- Aerospike engines

- Various high level orbit packs like ion engines, solar panels that deploy, etc

Just again, thanks so much for this pack!

First, thanks for all the parts they are truly great and I love the escape module.

Second, to those having problems with RCS+Pod you can use the tri parachute mod in this very forum Mk 16-3, it has enough drag to stop the escape module, pod and RCS without exploding.

I really enjoy the escape module... It is fun when your rocket goes up in a huge inferno and you manage to save them with quick reactions.

I think this is fantastic. I was exhausting all possibilities with the previous parts.

However.. Besides some issues with some things loving to break without provocation, I think some of the sizes are a bit off.

For instance, the big orange fuel tank. If I want to have two of them side by side, lateral connectors needed makes a huge gap between them.

Also the double connectors, I think they should be the same gap that the triple connector has in base KSP. They are SLIGHTLY larger.

I really wanted those lateral connectors to stablize things, but if you snap it under two fuel tanks, for example, it only actually connects the top of it to one of them. I'm sure this isn't your fault, though, and it's just that KSP itself isn't checking for another joint for the top to connect on.

edit: I also forgot to mention that the large boosters tend to rip things apart when they start. Maybe it's from the g's suddenly stopping, or their weight even when empty being too high.

Could you give a quick rundown of what the RCS module does? Frankly; I have no idea how to operate it nor what it's function is.

It is like the SAS in a way that it helps you keep stable. If you look at the part closely see how it has those little thrusters? it essentially has the ability to heavily move the craft when you use the pitch, roll and yaw commands. try it out on a simple vertical flight with the RCS attached right to the command module. When it is just the command module and the RCS you should be able to see how different the craft moves. Not sure how it effects using the SAS toggle of 'F' command. When it hits the ground though it kills your crew, unless it has been fixed? I don't use it because of that even though it does wonders for getting your craft into a orbit.

It is like the SAS in a way that it helps you keep stable. If you look at the part closely see how it has those little thrusters? it essentially has the ability to heavily move the craft when you use the pitch, roll and yaw commands. try it out on a simple vertical flight with the RCS attached right to the command module. When it is just the command module and the RCS you should be able to see how different the craft moves. Not sure how it effects using the SAS toggle of 'F' command. When it hits the ground though it kills your crew, unless it has been fixed? I don't use it because of that even though it does wonders for getting your craft into a orbit.

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it a shot in getting me into orbit!

I'd like to attach the huge orange tank to a radial decoupler, but it refuses to. Is there any way to do this?

As it is, no, but I made some tweeks to the config for that part that seem to allow it:

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

and

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -1.65, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 1

Add change those two in KSP\Parts\largefuelTank\part.cfg and you'll be set.

DISCLAIMER: At least until the fabled strut part that HarvestR has promised us is available, the radial decoupler is not rigid enough to support such massive parts and you will explode catastrophically.

[Edit]Marquees are never, ever, a good idea. Seriously - never[/Edit]

Great work in the parts, I use them on a lot of my ships. :)

SkunkMonkey, If I understand what you're asking correctly(going from 4 separate standard(1 meter) parts to one 3 meter), that isn't currently possible because apparently you can't have more than one connection point on top of a part. Though going from a 3 meter to four 1 meters should be possible.

SkunkMonkey, If I understand what you're asking correctly(going from 4 separate standard(1 meter) parts to one 3 meter), that isn't currently possible because apparently you can't have more than one connection point on top of a part. Though going from a 3 meter to four 1 meters should be possible.

Interesting. How does the LT-20 lateral coupler work then? I realize you can only have one snap point, but if the LT-20 can connect two side-by-side 1 meter rockets, I don't see why it can't be done with 4.

Interesting. How does the LT-20 lateral coupler work then? I realize you can only have one snap point, but if the LT-20 can connect two side-by-side 1 meter rockets, I don't see why it can't be done with 4.

Try attaching them to the top and bottom of 2 of the large srb's.

only 1 connects.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using 0.8, reducing the mass of the part doesn't seem to help unfortunately. Here's an image of what's going on:

p7QuZ.jpg

The radially connected boosters seem to be OK, but the one in the centre of the stack is way off centre of the SAS module above it. You can't see it in a still image but it's wobbling all over the place, which obviously is bad for keeping the rocket flying straight! Sometimes it goes so far out of whack, everything on top of the motor falls completely off the side, it's hard to get a screenshot of though because everythign explodes a fraction of a second later when that happens.

Thanks for your help!

overweight?