Derivation of Tsiolkovsky Rocket equation

mardlamock

Hello everyone, I would like some help trying to derive the rocke equation. I tried to do it my way, so sorry for the mistakes.

Ok, so I started off by saying that f=ma, then a=f/m, so the acceleration at any given time is = F/(m0-mr*t) , m0 being the initial mass, mr being the mass flow rate. Velocity is the integral of acceleration therefore if i integrate f/(m0-mr*t) I should get the velocity as a function of time. I did the integration by substitution part and i finally got that v(t)=(f/mr)*ln(m0-mr*t), which is wrong because the rocket equation says it is (f/mr)*ln(m0/mr*t). What did i do wrong?

Your integral has the wrong sign. The indefinite integral of f/(m0-mr*t) with respect to t is (-f/mr)*ln(m0-mr*t). You want the definite integral from t1 to t2, which equals (-f/mr)*ln(m0-mr*t2) + (f/mr)*ln(m0-mr*t1) = (f/mr)*ln((m0-mr*t1)/(m0-mr*t2)) = (f/mr)*ln(m1/m2).

Oh woaw, thanks man! I hadnt noticed the wrong sign nor thought about where i wanted the integral from. Thank you very much! Do you know what i should read to derive the equations for eliptical orbits and such? I learnt some calculus on my own (two years until i learn it at school), but im not smart enough to find out the laws of motion for an object in a eliptical or hyperbolic orbit. Thanks!

No problem. You probably read the Wikipedia article on the rocket equation and saw that the common derivation method is to note that force is the time derivative of momentum (= m v), but since both mass and velocity change with a rocket, you get both mdot and vdot terms. Your way works fine here though.

For derivation of Kepler orbits, are you able to follow either of the derivations here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_orbit#Mathematical_solution_of_the_differential_equation_.281.29_above ? You need to do a few not-immediately-obvious variable substitutions and apply conservation of angular momentum to get the central body inverse square force problem into an easy to solve form.

Edited by tavert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.