Gavin the Glider

Hello, this is my first craft submission ever for the length of time I have been here on the KSP forums. I bring you, Gavin the Glider. It is a purely stock aircraft designed for high altitude flight. With its massive wings its capable of gliding for long distances with no power from the 4 turbofan engines in the rear. A connected wing style based off of no real life plane in particular! All kerbals will enjoy the soothing view from the Cupola cockpit.

Some information about my glider:

1. On takeoff, minimal speed is needed, sometimes under 100m/s.

2. On landing, heavy braking tends to make the glider tip forward, tap the brake to compensate.

3. Going 1700m/s at around an altitude of 30km and pitching up 10 degrees, in most cases the glider will maintain its altitude.

4. Has enough fuel to get around the planet, which takes just about an hour.

5. Mechjeb is recommended but not required to manage the air intakes if you are OCD about it.

6. FAR is recommended as it was how I tested this craft. Stock users may most likely have a different experience with my craft.

Actiongroups:

(1) Toggle top two engines.

(2) Toggle bottom two engines.

Extra:

I have added parachutes just incase anything should go wrong, note they are not designed to save anything but merely a precaution.

What I Am Looking For:

I am looking for tips to improve my overall skills when building crafts like this. I am also looking to improve on my design for the glider.

Download Craft File

==================== Pictures by Request ====================

MphVU23.png

Edited by bulletrhli
Slight formatting fix and added pictures of the craft upon request.

Wow! I think this thing would destroy my computer as soon as I load it in SPH xD How many parts does it have?

Surprisingly enough, it has a very small amount of parts compared to some rockets I have design. Its under or just over 100 parts if IIRC. You can always use the welding mod to make it entirely 1 part but I think doing so messes with FAR because it effects the control surfaces. It shouldn't be too crazy on your system, check out the texture management mod to help with overall ksp performance should it be of any interest of yours.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38577-0-22-UbioZur-Welding-Ltd-2-0-Playtest-5-Now-In-Game-Tool

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-14-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.