Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

That is very good looking! I especially like the nose. How well does it fly? I ask because the A-10 design, with the engines high over the fuselage, is quite tricky to get flying right... a tip of advice I can offer is to tilt the engines slightly down so they push through the center of mass.

Rune. Also, never be afraid to post because others do (arguably, always) awesome-er things. How else would you become one of those people? :)

I like it, nice job! And I agree with Rune, don't stop posting your craft, you have a nice one there.

I do have one question though. Does the tail wing heat up with the new heating system in KSP?

thanks! it flies well enough. okay, it is somewhat cumbersome and i need a little bit more pitch authority. but then again the original is no macross zero mecha either :D

i am currently working on changing the plane to stock parts only. (one modular rocket systems tank and the dmagic science thingy for THE GUN are still left..)

i never throttle up more than 40-50% and i have never seen any heating effect on the tail wing. any faster and i can see them.. on the whole plane! ;)

Thought up this thing last night. Doesn't have a name yet. The idea is that it is supposed to be a lightly armed supply ship and asteroid refueling ship

WLlVTy8.png

As you can see, the main cargo bay has an ISRU refinery and ore tanks, as well as the Snr and Jnr docking ports. The Command pod is located inside the cargo bay on the far left.

MmcI4kZ.png

The command pod has an abort system, which fires the separator (force tweaked to near minimum), and activates the separators to bring it away from the vessel. It also, rather optimistically, features a heat shield and parachutes.

0r0Udrc.png

The side bays contain a xenon tank (to refuel others), a big fuel cell and two guided missiles (though they are pretty hard to hit small targets with).

j1kkTqW.png

The ship is propelled by four nukes, and since this is the most vulnerable part of the craft, i surrounded them with a shield made of structural panels and radiators.

VTrMFoW.png

But what would an ore refinery be without a means to get ore. This is the front all closed up:

q2NXXyz.png

This is what happens when you open it all up:

kqRTUWv.png

The craft has its issues that I'm trying to iron out.

Firstly the part count is over 140, and I'd prefer it to be lower. I could cut out the abort system and try to do something about the engine shielding. The engine shield is about 24 parts on its own.

Secondly heating. Apparently the radiators on the back are insufficient when sitting on the ground and nothing is activated. I tried fixing this by adding the big radiators, as seen in the picture below, but I fear that it messes with the streamlined aesthetic, and it takes up space that I'd otherwise use to attach the launcher to.

Also I worry that the drills might be angled a bit too far out. I haven't actually put this thing into space yet, let alone caught an asteroid.

any insight would be appreciated

gZM7Qb9.png

Edited by SofusRud

I assembled this Boeing 747-100 replica (which took a LONG time to get working properly), and it finally flies well.

I'm intending to use it for a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft as well.

M9U9ZZV.png

ixHjpnQ.png

..Also, I tried getting my Concorde working in 1.0.4.. with mildly amusing results.

ut8Frc0.png

ViE1CB3.png

Edited by Columbia

My second ever working spaceplane - I wanted something that could take 20 Kerbals up at a time. Lots of failure later, I end up with this. It works, now to tidy it up.

Makes a 100km orbit easily (point the nose at 25 degrees off the runway, and let her rip), with enough Dv left to rendezvous with my station at 150km, dock, deorbit and land at KSC with a little to spare. Powered by 8 Rapiers and lots of derring-do!

C8B3651FEE692B8FF8990DB1DBC67BFC4785826F

Well, I tried launching it today. Still hasn't got a name. The launches all failed to get into orbit, but that did give me the the chance to test the abort system during reentry conditions.

I also removed the part-heavy shielding on the engines and replaced it with a short cargo-bay with an open back. Funnily enough, this means that the engines have to be activated with the doors open or they refuse to start, even though I can then close the cargo bay afterwards and it makes no difference.

This was one of the first attempts.

imRq9AU.png

9ynTzIU.png

obLjcaE.png

Bailing out

GNVqhjh.png

tC7D4pU.png

dZlb3D0.png

This is then a later attempt. I added more fuel to the stages and added more solid-fuel boosters.

I also added an extra engine, bringing the total up to five, cause the TWR was just unbelievably low (still is kinda). I had to mess with the way then middle engine faced, so that the fairing on it didn't cause the other engines to break off.

IVEclnf.png

iQbjywB.png

KpXXuJD.png

sSpMtSY.png

Still trying to get my STTO and return shuttle(lookalike only)/launcher supercraft nicknamed "Iron Giant" to land successfully. That's after I've already solved heating, fuel, control and random disassembly. Hopefully this design will now work fully. :)

IGXS1.jpg

The "egg" at the bottom is an optional payload/Kerbal crew cabin with fully powered return. The shroud is optional too, as it flies fine with or without it.

Final testing with a load of station sections at less than half it's payload capacity, as I've already launched the tugs/interplanetary craft. Just not had a soft enough landing just yet. ;)

[edit]

Nope. More tweaks needed.

Edited by Technical Ben

Suspension testing proves interesting

(this version had vertical deployment rockets, however those added more to the weight and complexity of the craft than what was deemed necessary and so were removed)

Looking for aesthetic and functional feedback on my new mothership type thing, hopefully for a Jool-5 mission some time.

lNudYae.jpg

The docking ports on the side at the front are for detachable fuel tanks and stuff, and the mk2 cargo bays are for tugs and little landers and other small kit. Hopefully I'll be able to fit some kind of plane in that mk3 cargo bay for Laythe. The inside of all the mk2 bits is hollow and big enough to fit 2.5m parts, so it should be usable for heavier landers and extra fuel. It's 77 parts and over 100 tonnes.

I'm not really happy with how it looks though, it just seems a bit off in a way I can't quite place, and I'm sure there must be a more efficient way to put it together. Any ideas?