D-20 Defender (Nuclear Class Strike Bomber)

Turbojet

D-20 DEFENDER

It's huge. It's got an internal bomb bay that's bigger than 4 B-1 Lancers. But, It won't seem to get to takeoff speed. I personally engineered it, Taking all aerodynamic properties into effect. It just wont fly though. I attached solid fuel boosters to it, they got it to the end of the runway no problem, but then exploded after an overheat. UGH. It's also a good time to tell you the thing wobbles around like a drunk person on the runway. It's tail weighs about 20 solar masses, and the 10 Jet engines stuck on it could barely get it to 75 m/s.

LRROioH.png

Any help?

I plan to submit this to AAT, to replace the aging D-15 Destroyer. But can I really do so with the Achilles' heel that is it's MTOW and Speed problem? I didn't plan for it to be supersonic, but then again, I wouldn't be sane if I did. :huh:;.;:P

Ditch the SRBs, and add some large Canards to the front of the plane, but make sure you account for the extra lift. Once you have those, and your center of lift is behind the center of mass, it should lift into the air fine.

Best canard size?

Well, with tweakables now, really any wing can be canard. Just start small and test it, and increase as needed.

I got a canard on. Still just on the runway, if it doesn't wobble around, will get off it but then lose speed and drop altitude. I added 2 more jet engines, to no avail.

I see the Idea you're getting at... Mind if i Rebuild it for you?

EDIT!: Managed to build a relativly similar copy... ANNND seems you're overdoing it, ad a 5* upward tilt to the wings. I'll include a craft file once i fix a slight fuselage wobbleing issue

Edit 2: Heres a pic Hope it's long enough ba56d182ff0330fa48f22f0b70c471db.png I think you may have overdone it on your Landing gears as well

Update1: it is maneuverable as hell BUT! it's slow... I'll work on somthing that can Do Mach 1+ but I cant garuntee anything with this though the model I'll provide willcruise at 450M/s at about ... 16.8K

Edited by Hellbrand

That'll be in the next version. This version features... no capacity. It's generally designed to be like the SHIELD globemaster, a VTOL carrying shield teams and equipment.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a 80 tonne plane to VTOL? 0_o

(and stock, aside from the IR rotarons which didn't work but I kept them cause they looked good)

10 engines? Oh my! For just a subsonic bomber, I wouldn't have put more than four. Are you throttling all of the way? Are you waiting for jets to start? do you have a skid? That should get to several hundred m/s before the end of the runway, not 75.

Yeah 10 engines. but it's Max speed at sealevel:

0-1000m Is 140 M/s~

3000M is 175M/s~

7000M is 275M/2~

10K is 373M/s~

15K is where it really shows it's skill at around 651 M/s~

and 20K It hits up to 1000 with 50% throttle *ILL ADVISED UNLESS YOU ADD CANARDS HIGH TENDANCY TO PITCH UP!*

UPDATE: Ran a Few fuel lines. and Current Flight time is 1h 52M~

MODS NEEDED:

B9

MECHJEB

Link:

Most Recent Version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.