Eeloo Mission

Ryan81873

I've been pretty utterly obsessed with Kerbal, and had an idea while in class for this ship design, where the tanks detach as they empty, improving efficiency. You could go crazy with it with smaller capacity tanks but I thought this size was much more practical. Anyway this is its debut run to Eeloo.

Some assembly required...

screenshot617.png

screenshot625.png

After it was finally completed I realized I forgot engines on my lander.... so a new one was shot up with another tug (the whole ship was short about 200 fuel from full capacity anyway, some of it had to be used to get the initial ship into orbit.)

screenshot640.png

And detaching the tug to bring that Kerbal safely back to earth.

screenshot630.png

And we're off!

screenshot646.png

Detached tank 1 as it emptied

screenshot656.png

screenshot658.png

On target... I know my trajectory is a little sloppy but hey it works.

screenshot650.png

Tank 2

screenshot664.png

And Eeloo is in sight!

screenshot671.png

Established orbit...

screenshot673.png

screenshot676.png

And now time for some EVA. Transferring 2 Kerbals to the lander, leaving one to hold down the ship in orbit.

screenshot677.png

screenshot678.png

screenshot681.png

And undocking the lander...

screenshot688.png

Found a nice spot of dirt to land in!

screenshot694.png

screenshot699.png

And touchdown!

screenshot701.png

screenshot705.png

screenshot709.png

screenshot714.png

Geared up to head back to orbit.

screenshot719.png

Don't plan on taking the lander home with me, so eh, this is close enough to EVA over!

screenshot721.png

And tank 3 is jettisoned, now its just the capsule and these 3 rockets really haul.

screenshot723.png

Bye, Eeloo!

screenshot725.png

On track to hit Kerbin

screenshot732.png

screenshot731.png

screenshot736.png

There it is in the distance

screenshot738.png

screenshot743.png

Doing a fly-by of the moon

screenshot755.png

And home sweet home. Not the cleanest flight patterns overall but still a left over 1800 delta-V after a round trip to Eeloo, not bad!

screenshot760.png

Jettison the remainder of the ship in prep for landing

screenshot768.png

screenshot776.png

Wishing I had a Seperatron mounted or jettisoned the rockets while they were thrusting at this point... nervous that debri will collide with the capsule!

screenshot783.png

But it didn't, it didn't slow down nearly as fast, just kept flying away. Perfect sunset to mark the end of a successful mission!

screenshot792.png

screenshot802.png

screenshot808.png

Anyway, let me know what you think! What do you use to travel to the deeper planets and how have you managed to being more massive payloads than my little lander to them? Thanks for checking this out!

Nicely done!

The way to bring larger payloads would be simple: Moar tanks! If burn times get too long, you can break up the burn into several passes:

wU8b11Nl.png

I like the look of your space ship, how you've got the lv-ns and tanks radially attached to the capsule.

Thanks! Never thought about breaking it up into passes. That's something you'd primarily need to worry about when leaving Kerbin's SOI, right? I imagine you pretty much have all the time in the world to burn when orbiting the sun. Either way, sometimes I wish there was a time compression faster than 100000x out there!

Thanks! Never thought about breaking it up into passes. That's something you'd primarily need to worry about when leaving Kerbin's SOI, right?

Yep! Also useful for plane changes around large planetary bodies. The trick is to get the timing right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.