[WIP] Breaker Orbiter aircraft

Presenting, my latest innovation in rapid-single-kerbal-to-orbit RSKTO technology, I give you the Breaker spaceplane!

This is definitely one of my more 'unique' methods of getting to orbit. And by unique, I mean highly kerbal.

p6sj.png

While still in a WIP phase, it can deliver a single kerbal to orbit faster than any other craft my R&D division warrants safe enough for testing! :cool:

Better still, it can opt for a more efficient ascent profile, which still gives it one of the fastest times to orbit.

There's a special feature about this craft that I'll let people try to figure out themselves. Kudos to anyone who does. I may even let the first winner name the next Breaker variants. I'm planning one that can dock, one that can dock with multiple kerbals, possibly a one with Munar/Minmus (landing not planned but possible) capabilities, and, if I resinstall B9 aerospace (and rarely, but possibly stock), a satellite carrying version.

Current ascent profile is a hybrid between a brute force SSTO and an air hogging SSTO.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Special feature? Hmm, i'm assuming vertical/water landing using the 4 parachutes?

Not quite . . .

Here's a hint to the next person: The parachutes are a secondary requirement due to something else that's special about it.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. The parachutes are mandatory due to something else.

Some design notes: this thing flies off the runway. I was planning on using an LV45 instead of a RAPIER, but decided to add more fuel to the jet tanks and use that instead. It's got one of the fastest accelerations I've ever flown with and it can really get up to speed quick, contributing to it's extremely low TTO.

Edited by Captain Sierra

From my viewpoint, it looks like the craft drops the side tanks...

-the side jet fuel tanks are decoupled (hence the struts and ram are intake not clipping into the side).

-The parachutes must be used for landing as wings and landing gear are ejected.

-The cubic strut visible is used to cushion the parachute landing.

My guess at least, from looking at the picture.

Edited by Guest

You both are correct! I'll give you both credit since you posted within 30 minutes of each other and before me.

while climbing at 10-15 degrees and the jets start to flameout, STAGE! It instantly converts into a rocket and heads off to orbit. It gets a single kerbal to orbit stupidly fast.

Caveman got it first, but only got it partially right since the whole engine nacelle and jet fuel tanks go too.

Mono, you were second, but more thorough in your answer. More pics will be forthcoming (and possibly a beta craft file)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.