Flying a Building

Nicole

I don't usually do the silly things, but being able to makes KSP that much more fun. At 30 tonnes shy of 2,000, this is the heaviest thing I've ever launched. Since I was doing it because I felt too spaced-out and tired to jump into my career mode, I have no idea how I got it working so soon. Oh, also I have Ferram Aerospace in my game. :confused:

LOL, "R.I.P. in peace" :sticktongue:

Damn, those panels are sturdy...

Is this the first time someone tried to launch a skyscraper in KSP? It sure is heavy.

I've launched a Borg cube back in 0.21. It's still orbiting Kerbin as of 0.23. :)

borg_lw.png

For some reason the panels lose their collision properties in such arangement, so you can't park anything inside as it will just slide out. I should've put a docking port inside.

Nice! But, what was the part count? Your computer had almost no lag…… Mine would melt…...

450 parts, I'm not sure how that goes for averages. I put in 9 stacks of hitchhiker containers inside instead of just one and it started affecting the frame rate, so I stuck with one. Of course KSP is a 32-bit program, so it's capped at 3.5 GB RAM regardless of running on a great computer. I have some compression mods than help.

Damn, those panels are sturdy...

Is this the first time someone tried to launch a skyscraper in KSP? It sure is heavy.

I think those panels are from a mod, right? I don't remember, but yeah they sure are resistant to impact. I notice you have the same in your cube.

Thor LP on youtube launched some large buildings as part of his Insane Rocket Division, which I take as inspiration for the rough idea. His were different though I think they were smaller and he would dock them in orbit to get a giant building.

I think those panels are from a mod, right? I don't remember, but yeah they sure are resistant to impact. I notice you have the same in your cube.

Thor LP on youtube launched some large buildings as part of his Insane Rocket Division, which I take as inspiration for the rough idea. His were different though I think they were smaller and he would dock them in orbit to get a giant building.

No, those are simple stock panels. The large version. 154 parts - 153 plates and 1 smallest probe core, so that the thing doesn't get labeled as debris.

I couldn't launch a 6x6x6 cube because the total number of parts on the launch pad would be too high for my PC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.