Docking and antenna issues

Firstly, I have this self-sustainable Mun lander thingy. It has two control modules, those one kerbal lander cans connected with that two rocket sepelarator thing, basically they're standing side by side. There is another connector on top of em that ends with a clampotron which is positioned in the middle of them. Now every time I chose to control from the clampotron the navball is still set on one of the landint cans. Now, I love using the navball for docking, but this issue prevents me from doing it.

Secondly, everytime I transmit data my antenna retracts. Is it possible to prevent this?

To answer the first: Are you going into/out of IVA regularly? Also, a pic of the craft would help because it is entirely possible your docking port is incorrectly placed. As far as keeping the antenna deployed, not that I know of. I do know that RemoteTech prevents this, but it adds a whole new level of hard to the game. (Specifically requireing a constant connection to mission control for unmanned flights and science transmission)

Can't get you pictures right now, tomorrow. But, it's nothing complicated, and it's correctly placed, I can dock and all. It's simply a port mounted on top of that bi-coupler thing, and there are two lander cans on the bottom side. Also, I'm not switching to iva.

Unrelared, that mod sounds nice, but I'm afraid it'll mess up my memory and processing power on an already underpowered computer.

Can't get you pictures right now, tomorrow. But, it's nothing complicated, and it's correctly placed, I can dock and all. It's simply a port mounted on top of that bi-coupler thing, and there are two lander cans on the bottom side. Also, I'm not switching to iva.

Unrelared, that mod sounds nice, but I'm afraid it'll mess up my memory and processing power on an already underpowered computer.

It's almost strictly plugin (It adds about a dozen new antenna thouhg) so the memory footprint isn't bad, and if you get the Active Texture Reduction Mod your memory footprint goes way down.

If I understand your ship, you've got a rocket, then a bi coupler, then a pair or lander cans, then another bicoupler, then a docking port?

One thing that my be causing some problems is that the hierarchy used by KSP works like a tree. A branch can split just fine, (like your lower bicoupler) but it can't merge back together. (like your upper bicoupler is trying to do)

KSP is seeing a setup that goes rocket, bicoupler, 2 pods, bicoupler attached to 1 pod but just blocking the attach node for the other pod, then the docking port.

I've also heard of people having problems with docking ports if they're on a splitter that's attached to the rocket by a node that's not it's root node. (the first one defined in the config file)

Yes, you're right about the arrangement. I also understand what you are saying, but I'm not relying kn bicoupler to 'merge' back the ship, but on the "control from here" command set on the docking port. E.g. I also have one docking port connected radialy to the body of the lander which is working just fine when I set that command to it, getting the navball repositioned and all, but when I set that comand to my main port it just acts as if it is controled from the main lander can.

Oh yeah, another thing, both of the cans are attached to the top bicoupler, I think the botom one is attached to just one of them.

If I understand your ship, you've got a rocket, then a bi coupler, then a pair or lander cans, then another bicoupler, then a docking port?

One thing that my be causing some problems is that the hierarchy used by KSP works like a tree. A branch can split just fine, (like your lower bicoupler) but it can't merge back together. (like your upper bicoupler is trying to do)

KSP is seeing a setup that goes rocket, bicoupler, 2 pods, bicoupler attached to 1 pod but just blocking the attach node for the other pod, then the docking port.

I've also heard of people having problems with docking ports if they're on a splitter that's attached to the rocket by a node that's not it's root node. (the first one defined in the config file)

Edited by Jimmy Jazz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.