Should I attempt to make a 3d game?

bandit4910

How does actually unity works? I have always though it is drag&drop style program, not set of libraries.

I would suggest you picking up some low level stuff before you will start using full-featured engines. Sure they are for simplyfying life, but only when you are already good with doing it the hard way. *

* - own opinion, may cointain a lot of not true crap making things worse than better

sure, if you fail, youll learn not to try to ever be creative ever again.

No I just won\'t create the game myself...

I wish I could recommend this to a gaming company that actually takes game requests.

(I would give the idea to Squad but they\'ve already got there hands full...)

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Basicly for all those people thinking unity is a drag and drop engine, it isn\'t. Yes you drag objects around the enviroment, scripts onto them and such like, but all those assets need to be made, eather scripted or modelled or drawn and suchlike. Unity just provides the librarys and enviroment to put these assets in.

Other engines are avalable. The Doom 3 engine (ID Tech 4 engine) is release as free with no documents to say otherwise, the UDK and unity have free licences (you are restricted by amount of money you make and suchlike) and the CryEngine is getting a free licence soon. The licences are restricting, but the free engines like the ID Tech 4 need more work done on them. It depends on you level of coding, amount of time and wether you will defy one of those restrictions latter on.

That\'s what macs use for graphics...

I\'m not aiming for Mac until I can get a Mac tester...

Yes windows uses it but DirectX is the primary better graphics...

directX is good i use OPENGL for rigs of rods couse it looks betterif you dont know what rigs of rods is go to this link http://www.rigsofrods.com/content/?s=a7abcc0fd90a61e57e263f5dba6c9081 yes its free it wil always be free

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.